Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"New Scotland" ashamed of our forces

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
As anyone who is Scottish or indeed lives or works in Scotland will tell you the armed forces mean a vast amount to us up here and I don't just mean employment at RAF bases or naval bases(singular!), the pride in our infantry regiments is without question, witness the campaign that saved the Argylls in the '70's (only for them to go under recently as part of a 'super regiment' like most of the army) equally any thing to do with 45 CDO is well reported in the popular press as is anything to do with Leuchars, Lossiemouth or Kinloss. This is all very visible in the Daily Record, Scottish Sun, Scotsman, Glasgow Herald etc. Was at Musselburgh races last weekend and the Royal Regiment of Scotland were there recruiting in force with band and parachute displays. It annoys me to see articles like the above which are not the majority or even a small minority opinion up here. Got angry reading a similar article 2 weeks ago in the Sunday Herald in which a group of secondary pupils had set up an 'anti-military' recruiting group, same old argument in my book, who the hell do these idiots and the people who advise them think defends them and gives them the right to complain in the first place?? The pride in Scotlands contribution to Britains military history is unquestionable among the vast majority of the population and reasonates throughout life up here a fact that annoys the Mr Salmond more than he would care to admit.

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
Potential_Officer said:
I was merely pointing out that there are people in Scotland in power who want this sort of thing. People who are ashamed of the sacrifice our forces have made to allow them to make those stupid comments.

When you say 'In power' you mean powers of taxation, education etc matters of defence are dealt with in Westminster by the UK Parliament, Alex Salmonds views and quotes are all very good for him to say but unfortunately for him he is in a minority governing party which has no ultimate or divine say on Scottish issues and absolutely nothing to say on the UK's defences.

PO, the SNP will be destoyed at the next election and we will all be back to normal. Alex Salmond has made an utter arse of himself over the Faslane issue and bearing in mind he keeps forgetting to say exactly how many thousands of Scottish jobs rely on the naval base, someone in the opposition parties will hopefully latch onto this and get it out into the public domain. I have served at Faslane several times and the last thing matelots going to work or wives taking the kids to school or civil servants trying to do whatever they do need is a mad nationalist with a tiny majority trying to influence the way people think. What enranged me the most is the wives and kids. How dare an elected politician do this to a community.

Potential_Officer said:
moondog said:
PO get a grip!!
Thank **** I will never serve above or below you!!

I am equally glad, someone who judges someones ability to lead and serve on their political leanings (i.e. Being a Unionist) is not the sort of person I want to serve alongside. Or maybe Janner I am not allowed to make such a comment, as my head is so far up my own arse.

And Maxi, it is not in England that there are currently Councillors and MPs supporting the suggestion, it is Scotland. It coming not long after the First Minister gave support to the illegal protests outside Faslane is a worrying development as to the aims of the SNP. I find it hard to believe that the SNP managed to get the largest number of seats with this platform.

One does have a some what blinkered view of life, there are many councillors and educationalists in England who do want all armed forces recruiting in schools banned, just because the scriblers have picked on a Scottish example today does not mean it does not exist in England.

Considering the SNP has for long campaigned for a non nuclear Scotland it would suggest that the concept does have quite reasonable support amongst the Scots people. One of the things you wil find is that otherwise normal sane and inteligent people can have views wholly opposed to yours and believe in them with just as much fervour as you do.

Whilst I do believe there is a value in the nuclear deterent for the UK I would with respect suggest that for an independant Scotland such a capability would have no sensible place in a defence programme.

I hope they are destroyed at the next election, I hope people see that he offers Scotland little other than his ego.

When I say in power, I mean that the councillors and MSPs have power over the realms of education, health, and other devolved matters, education being the most important one, if these children are being taught that the Armed Forces is a career to be ashamed of, who will defend future generations of Scots and Brits.

They are basically rediculing the efforts made by the Armed Forces to defend them. I think they are proving exactly why the Armed Forces need to do these days and talks in schools, to show that the Armed Forces are not just about being "killing machines."

I admit it that Joe Public from Northern Scotland to commuter belts of the South East often forgets about the efforts made by the Armed Forces, from covering for Fire Brigades to aiding with the flood recovery, but my point in this post was to draw attention that elected Scottish Officials are now trying to spread their outrageous views to children. Trying to tar the efforts that has been made by and will be made by RRs.

Maxi, again it is in Scotland that there are currently motions for this ban to go ahead, if I had found it in my own town I would react similarly.

I accept that my views cannot always be correct and that others have a right to hold another view, however I was responding there to posters who always return to the point of that I will be an awful officer based on my political leanings, that is usually their entire arguement and does not once include a counter arguement, it is lazy and a poor show by those people.

[Edited to respond to Maxi]

TwistedFireStarter

Lantern Swinger
Potential_Officer said:
SNP and Green Councillors and MSPs are making moves to ban Armed Forces Careers advisors from going into schools.

"It's not appropriate to go into schools and colleges and tell children that it's a great career and a great opportunity to see the world, especially if there's not a lot of information available about what it's like to work in somewhere like Iraq." Ms Chapman Green Councillor.

Some of the Comments are truely appalling, fortunately some prove that not all Scots are CND lovers.

http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=983992007

When Ms Chapman says that there is not alot of information about what it is like to work in Iraq or Afghanistan does she not watch the news, we hear daily of events in the two countries, it is a focal point of the Media.

My brother managed to get on a day out with the Army, and didn't go into the Army, although he did thorougly enjoy the day. It is as much about teaching people about what the Armed Forces do as it is recruiting, my understanding is that URNUs are run similiarly, if the URNU Midis join the Navy, great, if not they will take away a positive view of the Navy.

Some people seem to have forgotten very quickly the massive sacrifice that the Armed Forces have made over the years, I am glad that one of the comments was a well written piece by a Mr. Kipling.

Can I just point out that the article you are referring to was written on 23rd June.

War Hero
Potential_Officer said:
...posters who always return to the point of that I will be an awful officer based on my political leanings....

fwiw I don't think it's because of your political leanings...

TFS, I only saw it yesterday at work in the Sun.

Karma if it is not that, then please do tell what is it. I find it a coincidence that it is never followed by an arguement!

safewalrus

War Hero
Whilst I agree that the majority of the Scots have pride in the armed forces (in most cases more so than the English, they are after all a warrior nation, and rightly so!) the unfortunate thing is, as we all know,

"you sling 5H1T at a wall, some will stick!"

and keep doing it and more will stick; when it's slung by so called leaders, it sticks even more! Trouble is it doesn't really matter who does the throwing!

And it will be coming South of the border before long (if it didn't go up from their in the first place)!

sgtpepperband said:
...or work for a living! Oh, you're going Occifer, right? 'Nuff said... :lol: :lol:

Work? How dare you! Its unofficerly like and scares the men!

Its a well known electricals retailer... very dull and unfortunately it is even more depressing to say, the Sun is the only reprieve from that boredom on my lunch break!

ateohwun

nobody has pointed out what the argentinians did to them in paris, we all serve one country and are very proud of it, let them be small.

Potential_Officer said:
I hope they are destroyed at the next election, I hope people see that he offers Scotland little other than his ego.

When I say in power, I mean that the councillors and MSPs have power over the realms of education, health, and other devolved matters, education being the most important one, if these children are being taught that the Armed Forces is a career to be ashamed of, who will defend future generations of Scots and Brits.

They are basically rediculing the efforts made by the Armed Forces to defend them. I think they are proving exactly why the Armed Forces need to do these days and talks in schools, to show that the Armed Forces are not just about being "killing machines."

I admit it that Joe Public from Northern Scotland to commuter belts of the South East often forgets about the efforts made by the Armed Forces, from covering for Fire Brigades to aiding with the flood recovery, but my point in this post was to draw attention that elected Scottish Officials are now trying to spread their outrageous views to children. Trying to tar the efforts that has been made by and will be made by RRs.

Maxi, again it is in Scotland that there are currently motions for this ban to go ahead, if I had found it in my own town I would react similarly.

I accept that my views cannot always be correct and that others have a right to hold another view, however I was responding there to posters who always return to the point of that I will be an awful officer based on my political leanings, that is usually their entire arguement and does not once include a counter arguement, it is lazy and a poor show by those people.

[Edited to respond to Maxi]

So the very anti military stance taken for example by the NUT in England means nothing, and that has been going on for years, how many schools run by their members will allowmilitary presentations at all and have been doing so for years.

Also remember the the major support that people have been able to raise on this subject is down completely to the very poor management ofour affairs in certain sandy places by the UK government. As Vietnam showed an unpopular war makes all things military unpopular.

As to whether your politics will make you a poor officer, not in itself, it will be far more down to how effectively you argue your corner and how much you respect other points of view which may not fall in line with yours. Certainly trying to belittle others for not holding the sameview as yourself will not make you a leader of men.

You are young and enthusiastic which is right, but you must learn humility and to listen and learn to succeed.

ps if they only have the scum at work, have you ever tried buying your own paper?

War Hero
Potential_Officer said:
Karma if it is not that, then please do tell what is it. I find it a coincidence that it is never followed by an arguement!

Consider that you're certainly not in a minority with fairly hard right wing views, so I don't imagine it's your political position that people have an issue with.

Can I suggest that you look back over the reactions and consider what it might have been...

Don't worry, you have plenty to gain from Dartmouth.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Spending review for 'whole UK' will deliver for Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Export Finance supports energy transition in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gyrocopter accident near Avoch, Scotland - 12 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Big broadband boost for Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government helps more than 79,000 businesses in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scotland's most promising scientists awarded £12 million MoD News 0
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
MoD_RSS Nearly 80,000 workers used flexible furlough in July in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May labour market statistics for Scotland 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS November Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS November Labour Market Statistics For Scotland 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland March 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland May 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland July 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland April 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS June Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS December Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS December Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS September Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS October Labour Market Statistics For Scotland 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS March Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS February Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS August Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS April Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS April Labour Market Statistics for Scotland 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Historic child abuse in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scotland’s tech sector going from strength to strength MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government to fund international Covid-19 studies in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government launches Kickstart scheme for youth in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government to fund COVID-19 research in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Union dividend of £1,941 for every person in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government supports over 936,000 jobs across Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Save up to £2,000 with Tax-Free Childcare in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to media coverage about results in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First Flagship UK Government hub in Scotland completed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus support measures help 65,000 businesses in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland receive additional coronavirus funding guarantee from UK Government MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Office of the Secretary of State for Scotland annual report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS From the South West to Scotland - check before you travel this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government supports nearly 900,000 jobs across Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Mel Young as the Scotland Member of UK Sport. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory tests and motorcycle training and tests to restart in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Permanent protection from higher tax for military personnel in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Summer Statement delivers plan for jobs in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Kate Still as the Scotland Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coal Authority upgrades vital mine water treatment scheme in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government supports nearly 800,000 jobs across Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministerial appointments at the office of the Secretary of State for Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Additional £58 million to help Scotland tackle coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government funding Coronavirus testing in Scotland MoD News 0