"New Scotland" ashamed of our forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Potential_Officer, Oct 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SNP and Green Councillors and MSPs are making moves to ban Armed Forces Careers advisors from going into schools.

"It's not appropriate to go into schools and colleges and tell children that it's a great career and a great opportunity to see the world, especially if there's not a lot of information available about what it's like to work in somewhere like Iraq." Ms Chapman Green Councillor.

Some of the Comments are truely appalling, fortunately some prove that not all Scots are CND lovers.

When Ms Chapman says that there is not alot of information about what it is like to work in Iraq or Afghanistan does she not watch the news, we hear daily of events in the two countries, it is a focal point of the Media.

My brother managed to get on a day out with the Army, and didn't go into the Army, although he did thorougly enjoy the day. It is as much about teaching people about what the Armed Forces do as it is recruiting, my understanding is that URNUs are run similiarly, if the URNU Midis join the Navy, great, if not they will take away a positive view of the Navy.

Some people seem to have forgotten very quickly the massive sacrifice that the Armed Forces have made over the years, I am glad that one of the comments was a well written piece by a Mr. Kipling.
  2. I loved all the comments complaining about scots serving the the British Army and for the British government... have they seen who is running this government ffs... an unelected bunch of Scots fffs!
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

The article simply demonstrates that the people we trust to look after the interests of our children merely exist to push their own personal agenda, they're truly pathetic. The respondants appear in general to be a bunch of delusional morons who can't accept that Scotland still does make up Britain and "their" Armed Forces also serve to defend Scotland's interests.

It's nothing more than political posturing that may well serve to deny some young people an honourable and valid career through ignorance.
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Can I just point out that is only a motion, and is therefore not effective legislation as yet? Speculation can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands... :roll:
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

To be honest I doubt it will be (but I wouldn't bet on it) the point is said councillor seems more than willing to explain her view and its tenuous justification to the journalist hence "political posturing"
  7. I was merely pointing out that there are people in Scotland in power who want this sort of thing. People who are ashamed of the sacrifice our forces have made to allow them to make those stupid comments.
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...and those same people 'in power' will be out of a job very quickly, if their constituents don't agree with their ideas. The power is with the electorate...
  9. Careers advice from the military in schools in Scotland has been difficult for years, I know when I was at school, and then Uni, they weren't allowed in. the justification at the time was the deterrent.
  10. Oh FFS. That's my general reaction to this.

P_O, please don't be so naive as to believe these people - the Scottish Parliament "polititians" - have any real meaning or influence. They really, really don't.
  11. I am merely worried that there seems to be an increasing minority of Scots who seem to wish to break up the Union which has worked well for both countries so many years, Scotland would not be better off without the Union, and England would be worse off without Scotland.

And that is was supported by the Scottish Teaching Union tells me that it is not limited to just a few loonie lefties in Labour, Lib Dems, SNP and Green Party. (Mind most teachers I know are definately typical Grauniad readers!)
  12. I did a 'lent' draft to a Recruiting Office at one time --in Scotland.
    Was there about three weeks ------home time for me during a quiet period
    of the refit .

They had a schools liaison guy who used to travel around the various secondary schools and visit the careers teacher usually to hand out leaflets and updates on joining requirements for any prospective school kid who was thinking about joining the RN.

I did attend one school ,the recruiters had been invited to, and gave a very informal talk to a class about Submarines it was more of a meet the Navy than a recruitment drive.
    The class teachers attended aswell--------probably glad to get away from the normal school subjects .

As for breaking with the Union ,it will never happen Scotland is an
    integral part of the UK and the Queen is Scotlands Queen .
    The Scottish parliament and its powers are limited in terms of what they can and can't do ----------we still have a Scottish Office in place .
    At the moment The Scottish Parliament is wondering how much their share of the UK budget they will get this year/next year with a new chancellor in place.

As for defence --the number of Scots on MOD related work and their voting powers would be a hazard to the longevity of any Scots Gov. proposing separation.
  13. PO get a grip!!
    Thank **** I will never serve above or below you!!
  15. I worked in the careers office in Dundee for 6 months, we were out around schools all the time, we had the DNR teams up during the summer season, there was never any problems.
    The MSP's can easly voted out if the people do not agree :rendeer:
  16. Equally there are many people in England with the same agenda, let he who is without guilt throw the first stone.
  17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Cool down POLTO, PO is so far up his own arse He'll self destruct shortly :thumright:
  19. I am equally glad, someone who judges someones ability to lead and serve on their political leanings (i.e. Being a Unionist) is not the sort of person I want to serve alongside. Or maybe Janner I am not allowed to make such a comment, as my head is so far up my own arse.

And Maxi, it is not in England that there are currently Councillors and MPs supporting the suggestion, it is Scotland. It coming not long after the First Minister gave support to the illegal protests outside Faslane is a worrying development as to the aims of the SNP. I find it hard to believe that the SNP managed to get the largest number of seats with this platform.
  20. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This asinine, self-delusional, moronic attitude lurks in other corners. I quote from The News, Portsmouth a few days ago:

"I say no to more navy ships .. Why are we such a warmongering country? .. " - Christine Gray, Vanguard Road [true!!], Gosport. (No Persec problem as her name was in the paper anyway).

Of course it may be that the lady would have preferred to have been brought up ina Nazi dictatorship .. perhaps she'd like to hear another point of view from RR members!