New Royal Navy Website Launched - Feedback Please

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Easy to navigate

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Difficult to navigate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Looks good visually

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  4. Looks messy

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Too much information

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Not enough information

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. About the right amount of information

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  8. Adequate search function

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Poor search function

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  10. An improvement

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As some will already be aware, the new look RN website has launched. It would be interesting to hear some feedback on your thoughts.
    Home | Royal Navy

2. It doesn't load properly on a DII desktop.

The irony.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Typical, eh?

Guaranteed the videos won't run either. :D

4. Has the RN dropped the concept of desktop wallpaper and screensavers altogether then? Last lot wouldn't load anyway, but cannot find them at all now.

5. Seems to cover everything including most (but definitely not all) the FAQ on here, can't see the video's and I'm not on Dii yet!!

6. Looks good and not too much tinkering. :study:

7. Being picky, but on a medical slant they have a nurse in CS95, not MTP playing the part of a radiographer. Next one is the MA fully scrubbed for theatre, not as an ODP which is now a stand-alone branch. The MA submariner has two female ratings, not currently viable and a doctor on a skimmer - bad admin. Medical Officer has two MA's in it, with thencadet page has two nurses, more bad admin! Finally, nursing officer doesn't appear to have a nursing officer in it, just a bunch of doctors. Considering we are looking for informed, inteligent people, it isn't a good front page to put to them. It looks like non-med cut and paste IT types have done this! Rant over!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. I think it's a lot more user friendly and up to date. The officer bit on the overview says 'minimum requirements: 5 GCSE A*-C, degree maths/english/science' (for logistics officer). Then when you click for more info it says the 180 points ucas requirement, kinda confusing though on first glance.

9. I don't think the content has been changed, merely the presentation. Willing to give it a few more days of finding the answers to questions that arise before passing judgement.

10. From a Civilian/Potential's point of view, it looks pretty impressive. The old RN Website made it seem outdated and 'out of it' (compared to say the USAF website) but this gives it a modern and impressive look, and in terms of information, things like just clicking on an aircraft and getting a brief outline of it is pretty slick! The search function still is pretty bad to be honest though!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Concur.

The search function is pants.

For the supposed definitive reference source for potential joiners, particularly officers, it is arse.

12. I like the new look, but there now seems to be nothing about RNR Officer (or that it is even possible). Not that helpful when revising for SIFT.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

13. If anyone who is reading can modify "Explore our role on the global stage". Needs to be a link

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

• Like Like x 1
  15. Is it Aircraft Carriers, because we don't have any? :)

16. Is it the diver as he looks like he's flying?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Yup, and not painted grey. Kinda.

18. But divers are awesome! The comparison to a war canoe with tonnes of ordinance on board is very just.

19. Ninja_Stoker

One thing that did impress me was the Submarine Rescue System:

Question for our logistics experts:

Obviously, in the event of a peacetime subsmash/subsunk incident, the rescue operation involves multi-national co-operation to get the kit where it's needed. Would I be right in assuming that UK does not have the capacity to transport the equipment or provide the "mother ship" platform itself? If so, who do we rely upon?

20. Trying to remember my SETT training...I think the mother ship is a uk platform. Similar to an RFA type vessel.

The SPAG lads deliver a lot of survival gear and medical equipment out the arse end of a plane.

And you are right in the fact that other countries will deploy rescue vehicles too, there is a lot out there.

Last edited: May 20, 2014