New Royal Marine careers website

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by pcampbell87, Sep 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/

Not sure how long it has been up but i have not seen it before, loads of useful info for anyone joining up.

I myself am an ex-nod (NFA med, shin splints) so i know most of what is on there but i did enjoy the cinema advert on the homepage.

There is also this page which has a nice breakdown of training with loads of videos for anyone who is interested.

I am going to sign back up as soon as i can as i really miss training, just need to get my fitness sorted first.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A good site, a vast improvement, lets hope it's well administered.

Only scanned it for a few minutes & managed to spot a glaring error with regard contract of service, but doubtless all glitches will be ironed out quickly.

Just hope it's not administered by the official contracted RN website operators as they were truly awful.

(Notified the RN website of two factual errors & it took them over 6 weeks to correct each error after repeated notification. One error was a joke incorporated in the text, the other was incorrect contact details for every single AFCO in the country- God knows how many contacts were lost)

Just in case anyone wondered your contract is for 18 years or to the age of 40, whichever is longer. It's no longer 22 years (Unless you actually join on your 18th birthday). Not as indicated here: Royal Marines Terms & Conditions

3. I wasnt aware of that, when did it change to 18 years/until you are 40?

I need to go to the AFCO when i can get time off work to take in all my old documents so they can get permission for me to re-join. I will have to update myself before i go so that i dont look like an idiot.

Going a bit off topic but is it just the length of service that has changed or is the entire open engagement different?

4. Ninja_Stoker

For re-entry (going off thread, but hey...)

There's a sticky regarding re-entry at the top of the forum.

If you submitted PVR last time, you may not do it again.

If you just submitted your notice to leave, PVR is still available during the first 6 months.

The new contract is 18 years or to age 40, as stated.

The main change is that you re-enter on AFPS 05 regardless of whether you were on AFPS 75. (No pension until age 60, etc.,)

If you don't use the PVR option to leave, you must complete your Standard Initial Training Period (SITP- Phase 1 & 2 and task book, depending on trade). Then 2.5 years return of service, then you may submit 12 months notice to leave at any time thereafter.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Back to the initial post regarding the Royal Marines website. Another error someone has kindly pointed out is that the Pre-Joining Fitness Test (PJFT) is incorrect with regard timings.

For those wishing to be a Royal Machine, it's no longer 2.4Km (1.5 miles) in 10 mins 45 secs, as it says on the site, it's 10 mins 0 secs.