New RNLI Series

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by janner, Jul 13, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

BBC - Saving Lives At SeaDon't miss #SavingLivesAtSea TONIGHT at 9pm on BBC One! The new four-part series is a moving, real-life portrayal of the amazing work that our volunteer lifeboat crews. Let us know if you are tuning in tonight!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Can't watch tonight, I'll be at work, but will be watching on catch up later in the week.
  3. I caught up with it on BBC iPlayer. Excellent series I must say. Their role is no secret of course but it was great to observe what they do and what they are challenged with. The series really did give the viewers an insight into the RNLI. Definitely an organisation to consider post Royal Navy career or maybe even prior.

Glad I watched it.
  4. You can join the RNLI now! ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. They'd leave me out in the ocean! Let me mature in the navy first haha.
  6. I don't think they can wait that long!! ;)
  7. Then their military self discipline should be reevaluated for my arrival :p
  8. You can always be a 'Shoreline' member and show your appreciation for the service with an anual subscription. Me and the missus have been members for years.

9. It's just about OK to drop one "n" from annual and still get over what you mean.
    Just be very, very careful that you don't drop the "u" as well, or you might spark interest that you hadn't intended.:)
  10. Sounds like something I would go for to show support to a worthy cause. I assume that the annual membership comes with some good little benefits? :)
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  11. Something called saving lives.
  12. To me that would be a big benefit.
  13. This was a brilliant series. Big BZ to all of them.

But what about some of the utter ********* they have to put THEIR lives at risk to rescue? The Tower Bridge idiot springs to mind, although at least he had the decency to donate all his 'income' from his stunt.

Edited to add - Rats! If I'd known it was going to put asterisks in, then I'd have written cockwomble instead!!

Edited again - ha ha ha!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RNLI, who do a fantastic job, deserves support. Taffscrivs and other Shoreline members also do a great job in backing the organisation.
    It's worth remembering, though, that there are other voluntary lifeboat crews around the country - we have several on the Isle of Wight who do very similar work.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. A lot of lifeboat stations continuing operations despite the RNLI halting operations from respective stations. St Abbs Lifeboat Station comes to mind. It just goes to show what these institutions mean to those involved and the community they operate within. Very admirable.
  16. Why would you want to be a full-time paid crew member on a lifeboat? Most seem to be volunteers, and all credit to them. I think the RNLI does have some full-time personnel, including mechanics. But the over-riding ethos of all lifeboats, whether RNLI or not, seems to be that of wanting to provide help to those in danger at sea - even though some of the people they rescue are complete numpties.

I remember an RNLI calendar some years ago which had a cartoon of an RNLI RIB dealing with a child swept off a beach on an inflatable toy by the wind. Delivering said child to its mother at the water's edge, she asked: " But where's his rubber duck?"
  17. My apologies I had to delete the full-time paid position comment. It was meant for another conversation also on the RNLI. Rookie mistake.

Anyway. I do not know if it's the 'want' to be paid but maybe more of the extra responsibility that the Coxswain carries? I guess maybe the attraction of doing what you love while having no other career commitments is somewhat of an attraction? There is a position being advertised in the Republic of Ireland for a Coxswain and the pay is excess of 30,000 Euros. Quite cushy. But should a Coxswain be paid in a charitable organisation?
  18. You raise an interesting point. Although I would not say the Coxwain's job was "cushy" - especially as it is inherently risky - it's fair to say that he/she is being paid whilst the volunteers are prepared to do the job for nothing.

Being paid whilst working for a charity? That rather opens up a can of worms - especially if you are a lady wearing what looks like a multi-coloured tent with a rather fetching tea towel on your head.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I was more referring to the pay when I say cushy. I have just went on to check the details. The position is at Arranmore, Ireland. The pay comes in at 32,109 Euros to 37,775 Euros (Depending on experience). In Pound Sterling you are looking roughly at £27,226.19 to £32,030.56 (Google results). Considering there are other admirable careers where ones life can be in danger (Police, Armed Forces, Fire & Rescue Service etc.) where the starting wages are considerably lower (we are talking £18,000 in some cases) I would say those advertised wages for the Coxswain position are quite something. Although, that being said one who applies for such a position has probably spent most of his/her time within the RNLI as a regular unpaid crew member.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016