New RM Band Service Advert

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by SJRM_RN, Feb 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where do I sign? :D

Please tell me that they take leg irons.... :?

2. I think that is really excellent.

Is the music Daedalus (McDermott)?

3. Good advert, not cheesy in any way but still attractive to the potential applicants.

I can't say i've ever seen an advert for the RM Band Service before, I imagine they recruit primarily in specific music orientated areas.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Tip top advert.

Think I've put about five or six Bandies into the service, possibly because it's one of my pet hobbies (former Volunteer Bandy myself) & everyone in the AFCO bungs them my way because selection is that little bit different. Nationally we don't recruit huge numbers, so they're quite rare.

5. I didn't realise you could go in playing guitar. Or am i getting the wrong end of the stick from that advert.
    Good ad though :)

6. Ninja_Stoker

If you can read music & play to a decent standard (Grade 5-ish), together with the ability to demonstrate aptitude to learn additional instruments, then the RMBS can train you from scratch to Grade 8 in two years 8 months.

Most musicians play an orchestral instrument & a marching instrument, but if you play the "axe" you can still apply dude.

You also get the opportunity to study for a BMus(Hons) degree whilst in full-time employment.

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

That is actually a good advert Jimbo. You must have been in it somewhere? (I couldn't spot any silver badgers :D )

8. I didn't ever think about looking into it. I mean i know for me music is a passion especially playing an instrument. Don't think many people my age know too much about it. I do hope they show these adverts on t.v.

If i didn't have my heart set on being a wafu i would of gone for it.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Very few of us are lucky enough to get paid for doing something which is your passion - those that are able to get paid simply to do what they enjoy, travel the world & get paid to become even more adept- trained by the top UK professors of music, are heartily recommended to consider the option.

Certainly I passed the audition when I was 16 & to this day regret never having had the patience to wait 18 months to become a bandsman at the time. Instead I become a stoker as it was a shorter wait - thoroughly enjoyed my job and would recommend it, but might have enjoyed it even more.

10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bandies are top blokes (and girls). I've always had respect for them and love it when people say "They're just plastic soldiers/Booties/Matelots". It's so nice to see their faces when i tell them they double up as stretcher bearers and have probably seen more action than some people who have done 12 years.

11. StixJim

Is the music Daedalus (McDermott)?

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Even in slow mo, I could'nt spot you.

13. Can you say a bit more about the role of Bandies on operations Stix. Are you attached to the medical centre at Bastion or out in the FOBs... just to put the term 'stretcher bearer' in context.

14. I am guilty myself of not always thinking of the RM Band Service when I think of those deployed on operations, so this is an eye opener for me, cheers.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I rather think people tend to forget the RM Band do 15 weeks basic military training prior to starting phase two trade training - compared to 9 weeks phase one for RN ratings & other services.