New Query from old fella

Discussion in 'RMR' started by vinnyb67, Mar 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

Lots of info on the site, thank you for evertyhting I've read so far.

I'm 33 and a former RN Lieutenant (Equivalent RM Captain) and live in Glasgow. I was hoping to join a holding troop but dont know if my RN experience will count as I know I am past the Upper Age limit of 32.

Ive been away from the forces for 5 years now and am addressing the fitness via triathlons and monstrous hills that nearly make me sick!

If theres anyone on here from Glasgow would they be able to answer my query or should I just be phoning the unit?

Cheers in advance!
  2. I think the age limit can be increased but at the discretion of the unit boss. That and your previous military background stands in your favour. However there are more current individuals on this site than myself who will give you a more definate answer
  3. Thanks very much XRD, if I dont here from anyone on the forum I'll give the Unit a call early next week.
  4. No prblem. Dont delay though as i think the age limit with experience is around 34.

Good luck with the course as its character building
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The best bet is to have a chat with the local RMR unit direct as it's not particularly clear-cut.

Age waivers are a possibility at the discretion of the unit OC, however unless the individual has previously completed AACC, the odds are they would join as an OR RMR Recruit & complete RMR training from scratch before picking-up their commission.

I've heard tell of former commissioned officers joining as a blue beret RMR Officer & having to undergo the commando tests to gain their green beret, subject to relevant previous service experience, but that they could not expect to serve in the troop commander role & I've not heard tell of specific ages.

Best o' luck.
  6. Its contact numbers are here, if you don't already have them:

7. Ring the Training Officer on 0141 4456020 after about 1300 on Monday. Tell him of your desire to join and he should set you up with an interview with the CO. Don't call the AFCO until you've spoken to the Unit. Make sure you have all your discharge papers etc as well. If the Unit is happy to accept you then contact the AFCO on 0141 2245714 and they will start the ball rolling.
  8. Thanks for all the info guys. I already knew that I wouldnt go straight in as Officer as RM Officers fitness standards are different (markedly!) from RN Officers so I have no qualms about joining as an RMR Recruit.

Will let you know how I go, and thank you all again.
  9. You hit the nail on the head mate. In my experience as a young RMR nod there were A LOT of R.N Y.O's coming over to have a go at the course. To my knowledge none of them passed through training which I think is probably down to preparation on their part. If the opportunity does arise I strongly suggest you have a massive rethink about the phys element aswell as getting involved with the other recruits outside of unit hours to work on your general fitness

As I said good luck mate its definately an adventure!! :)
  10. Slightly off at a tangent but on a similar note to above; when I was training with RMR Merseyside we had a TA lad with a commission training with us. He wore his rank but was cap-badged with a nod beret, the training team called him 'Sir' and used to use him as a bit of an intermediary go-to guy between the training team and us nods. Some nods didn't 'get' that he was an officer and treated him with content though.
  11. I assume "contempt". You are correct, there was a TA officer, he didn't pass out.

Ninja rare error on your part "Unit CO".

Strat's advice is sound reference the sequence for getting the ball rolling as are Ninja and XRD reference the age waiver.

Get in touch with the Unit asap as I'm unsure when the next PRMRC would be and at your age missing the boat may well mean mssing your final chance to join.

Good luck.