New Planes for the Navy!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Aug 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At least you got a decent squadron, this time, Scouse :)

I would love to be able to develop a Mr Chumny-Warner accent, like the voice-over chap. I reckon that would sound great over the radio and passenger address :D

Glad they got faster and lower as time went on!

2. :roll: :roll: Faster yes Lower no Pontius :wink: A Buccaneer could fly all day at 5OFT ASL... on its own shockwave, no single seater boys down their SIR :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. 809 premier Buccaneer squadron of the FAA.
    Runner up was 800, but that sadly was lost.
    The Buccanneer was the finest fixed wng aircraft the navy ever had and there is still nothing to beat it :p

4. :thumbright: Wot Slim said.

Never worked FW but you couldn't beat a Bucc for low level sorties over the oggin'.

5. Offset observers seat and all... I love that little fact!

6. That was the Sea Vixen, the Bucc observers seat was directly behind the jockey.

7. :oops: The Sea Vixen did have an offset obsevers seat..... Known as the Coal Hole :wink:

8. And as for the poor buggers in a Gannet............stuff that

9. Nope, WBD is correct. The Bucc's rear seat was offset slightly to allow a limited degree of forward visibility over the pilot's (right iirc) shoulder.

Regards,
    MM

10. well bugger me I never noticed that. probably too busy watching the radar display when testing the parrot :p

11. To be strictly accurate, I seem to recall that both seats were offset by a couple of inches (the pilot's to port and the Observer/navs to starboard).

Still a classic design much loved by crews from the RN, RAF and SAAF. I was lucky enough to do a det to Waterkloof, South Africa some years back where we were hosted by the SAAF Boeing 707 SIGINT/AAR/Transport sqn. Many of their WSOs were ex Bucc and they had some excellent war stories from fighting Cubans in Angola. They were also surprisingly open when discussing their nuclear role.

Regards,
    MM

12. Still a basic tandem cockpit unlike the Sea Vixen with its unarguable offset seat configuration.

So I would say you're all correct, (barring a few inches and no-one except a female is going to quibble over a couple of inches!!!!!!!! :lol:

13. Scouse, did you get the PM I sent you or have I screwed up the procedure for doing so?

14. :oops: No pm from you as yet, Pontius Sir, best get your steward to do it for you, it might be an Officer thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Good heavens, there must be something wrong with the space-time continuum, since I can't find the PM in my sent box and you haven't received it from my Comcen.

I'll get my writer to take down another memo and send you a telex. That will probably be tomorrow as I've had one too many Kirin at the moment and might need some ZZzzzzs.

Steward.............another horse's neck if you please and, away sea boat, while you're at it (whatever that means).

PS: Can you find me a pinkie to fix the whole space-time thingy too

16. The call is" Away Sea Boats Crew" and the all important call " Slip " on a crest of a wave!!!! Pontius, you should have inwardly digested that at BRNC :lol: :lol: :lol: (well it was at Hms St Vincent) :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Unless you are Scottish when "Awa the noo the seaboats crew" is the accepted term :p