Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pistols for UK Armed Forces

MoD_RSS

War Hero
Ministry of Defence said:
The Glock 17 Gen4 pistol is not only much lighter than the Browning L9A1, it is also more accurate and its magazines can carry more bullets. It has an increased magazine capacity of 17 rounds, compared to 13 rounds for the Browning.
Personnel across all 3 Services will begin to receive the new 9-millimetre (mm) calibre Glock 17s in the coming weeks and troops deployed to Afghanistan will be among the first to use the new weapon. The contract with Viking Arms Ltd of Harrogate, Yorkshire, also includes more than 25,000 holsters.

A Glock 17 pistol (left) and the Browning the new pistols will replace [Picture: Andrew Linnett, Crown Copyright/MOD 2013]Warrant Officer Class 1 Mark Anderson, Royal Marines, who trialled the new weapon before the contract was awarded, said:
Pistols are vital in close combat and are a key part of a soldier’s armoury. Reliable, light and easy to carry, the Glock inspires confidence and performs exceptionally well.
The Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology, Philip Dunne, said:
We are determined to provide our troops with the best possible personal kit available and these new Glock 17s will give them greater firepower and accuracy on operations.

Royal Marines firearms instructor Sergeant Steve Lord demonstrates the new Glock pistol on the range at Woolwich Barracks in London [Picture: Andrew Linnett, Crown Copyright/MOD 2013]Sidearms are a valuable weapon for servicemen and women on the battlefield, and the new Glock, manufactured in Austria, will complement the wide range of weapons already available to our forces, which includes:

• SA80A2 assault rifles, which fire 5.56mm rounds
  • light machine guns, which fire 5.56mm rounds
  • Sharpshooter rifles, which fire 7.62mm rounds
  • general purpose machine guns, which fire 7.62mm rounds
  • combat shotguns, which fire 12-gauge cartridges; and
  • sniper systems, which fire 8.59mm rounds.
The Glock pistols will replace the Browning which after being used by the Armed Forces for more than 40 years has become increasingly expensive to maintain. The contract for a replacement pistol was put out to tender 2 years ago and is not in response to any specific or increased threat.

More...

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
I thought we were replacing the Browning with the Sig? We used Glocks in the police but I always found them a little too light for my taste, like a water pistol

finknottle

Banned
I rather like the old Webley, it had the ability of being unable to hit a barn door if were 2 feet away or maybe it was just me.

download.jpg

Bad CO

Admin
Frankly if you're* in the situation where you need to use a pistol then I'd suggest something has gone badly wrong ....

* For the majority of us in mere mortal jobs

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Frankly if you're* in the situation where you need to use a pistol then I'd suggest something has gone badly wrong ....

A bit like "fix bayonets".

There is a story of when Ross Kemp was doing a documentary in the sand-pit with our esteemed Royal out on patrol when they came under fire and took cover. Apparently he went very pale when the order "fix bayonets" went down the line. The obvious thought being "they're not that b****y close, are they??"

Rumrat

War Hero

Your spoilt, in Aston there is now a holster fitted to most briefcases.
This is where a "hot shot" does not refer to business capabilities.
The lower class use shotguns.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
In my experience if the baddies are 100 metres away, they're too bloody close.

Rumrat

War Hero
In my experience if the baddies are 100 meters away and you know it then your too bloody close.

Sharkey

Banned
We were issued with hammer helves when the IRA were thought to be on the base one night, maybe they were too close for pistols

Frankly if you're* in the situation where you need to use a pistol then I'd suggest something has gone badly wrong .

Pistols are very good for fitness,

I had a shoulder holster snap on me and a good ol' 9mil Browning come sailing out from under my jacket one day whilst loitering in a garage in sunny Belfast..... Run Royal Run.... :)

The next time I fired one was off the Arrse end of Fearless, I double tapped my way quiet quickly through the magazine and promptly got bollocked for firing a pistol in a gung ho and un-professional manner. I tried to explain that that was the way I'd been taught in my last posting but quickly gave up when I realised I was dealing with complete throbbers who'd been exposed to the Naval way of doing things for a bit to long.

The fitness theme continued as I cracked out some press ups for being Gung-ho.....

LC SNCO's, finger on the pulse of the mainstream Corps.... :)

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
The important questions are:

Can you use it sideways, gangsta style?

Can you dual wield like on the xbox?

jaggers

Lantern Swinger

As matelots we think of close combat as using the 4.5 inch. Pistols are a lot more important these days with counter insurgency/piracy etc meaning a lot more boardng parties

finknottle

Banned
As matelots we think of close combat as using the 4.5 inch. Pistols are a lot more important these days with counter insurgency/piracy etc meaning a lot more boardng parties

Isn't there a mounting on the 22ft RIB for a 4.5 Gun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bisley

War Hero
Sigs were only a uor for theatre. I believe no support contract is in place for maintenance. Hence awaiting for new pistol to come into service

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Murph Sex Pistols - Friggin In The Riggin Diamond Lil's 5
O Pistols? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
9 pistols The Corps 61
MoD_RSS Record number of Armed Forces personnel help with Covid response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 5,000 Armed Forces deployed in support of the Covid response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 5,000 Armed Forces deployed in support of the Covid response in the biggest homeland operation in peacetime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces support for vaccine roll-out in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands of organisations pledge support for armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Armed Forces Minister arrives in Cairo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish bred at Environment Agency’s fish farm used for rehabilitation of armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Nesscliff kitchen and dining facility improves experience for armed forces MoD News 0
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS CNC officers proud to take part in webinar on women in armed policing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Peace Agreement - Sudan Armed Opposition Groups: Troika Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Innovation call for technology to stop armed or violent offenders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for armed forces community to contribute to the Frontline Project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CNC achieves silver award in supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body - Forty-Ninth Report - July 2020 The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS 127 new employers awarded for supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body - 49th Report - 2020 Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS Armed Forces personnel to receive 2% pay rise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for the Armed Forces James Heappey MP: The Ministry of Defence Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead tributes to Dame Vera Lynn at her funeral MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Free ‘wraparound’ childcare for the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary Alistair Jack marks 2020 Armed Forces Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces announce launch of first Cyber Regiment in major modernisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary commends Armed Forces’ contribution to the fight against coronavirus in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces step up support to the Caribbean Overseas Territories during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding to support armed forces charities doing vital work during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces Maintaining Critical Defence Activities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary praises UK's Armed Forces' support in Wales' fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK's Armed Forces efforts recognised by Scottish Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces protected from vexatious claims in important step MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gaming technology trialled in training UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
soleil FB: SSAFA, The Armed Forces Charity - With Love From RNAS Yeovilton The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS We must protect Children in Armed Conflict: "Children have been robbed of their childhood and forced to participate in brutal wars" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces heroes celebrated at The Sun Military Awards MoD News 0
soleil ITV News: "Armed Forces Tattoos Photography Exhibition Opens In London" History 25
MoD_RSS Armed policing code strengthened in response to Grainger Inquiry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces Covenant Report shows support for military community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New pledges for the Armed Forces announced in Queen's Speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead nation in Cenotaph service on Remembrance Sunday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Production starts on world-leading respirators for UK armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Office for Veterans’ Affairs will ensure the UK leads the world in care for Armed Forces Veterans MoD News 0
vauxhall Public Consultation on Legal Protection for Armed Forces Personnel Serving Abroad on Operations The Quarterdeck 1
MoD_RSS CNC proud to play key part in inaugural Women in Armed Policing conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM praises role of UK's Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits West Africa and extends language training to Senegalese Armed Forces MoD News 0