New pistols for UK Armed Forces

Ministry of Defence said:
The Glock 17 Gen4 pistol is not only much lighter than the Browning L9A1, it is also more accurate and its magazines can carry more bullets. It has an increased magazine capacity of 17 rounds, compared to 13 rounds for the Browning.
Personnel across all 3 Services will begin to receive the new 9-millimetre (mm) calibre Glock 17s in the coming weeks and troops deployed to Afghanistan will be among the first to use the new weapon. The contract with Viking Arms Ltd of Harrogate, Yorkshire, also includes more than 25,000 holsters.

A Glock 17 pistol (left) and the Browning the new pistols will replace [Picture: Andrew Linnett, Crown Copyright/MOD 2013]Warrant Officer Class 1 Mark Anderson, Royal Marines, who trialled the new weapon before the contract was awarded, said:
Pistols are vital in close combat and are a key part of a soldier’s armoury. Reliable, light and easy to carry, the Glock inspires confidence and performs exceptionally well.
The Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology, Philip Dunne, said:
We are determined to provide our troops with the best possible personal kit available and these new Glock 17s will give them greater firepower and accuracy on operations.

Royal Marines firearms instructor Sergeant Steve Lord demonstrates the new Glock pistol on the range at Woolwich Barracks in London [Picture: Andrew Linnett, Crown Copyright/MOD 2013]Sidearms are a valuable weapon for servicemen and women on the battlefield, and the new Glock, manufactured in Austria, will complement the wide range of weapons already available to our forces, which includes:

• SA80A2 assault rifles, which fire 5.56mm rounds
  • light machine guns, which fire 5.56mm rounds
  • Sharpshooter rifles, which fire 7.62mm rounds
  • general purpose machine guns, which fire 7.62mm rounds
  • combat shotguns, which fire 12-gauge cartridges; and
  • sniper systems, which fire 8.59mm rounds.
The Glock pistols will replace the Browning which after being used by the Armed Forces for more than 40 years has become increasingly expensive to maintain. The contract for a replacement pistol was put out to tender 2 years ago and is not in response to any specific or increased threat.

More...

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
I thought we were replacing the Browning with the Sig? We used Glocks in the police but I always found them a little too light for my taste, like a water pistol

Frankly if you're* in the situation where you need to use a pistol then I'd suggest something has gone badly wrong ....

* For the majority of us in mere mortal jobs

Frankly if you're* in the situation where you need to use a pistol then I'd suggest something has gone badly wrong ....

A bit like "fix bayonets".

There is a story of when Ross Kemp was doing a documentary in the sand-pit with our esteemed Royal out on patrol when they came under fire and took cover. Apparently he went very pale when the order "fix bayonets" went down the line. The obvious thought being "they're not that b****y close, are they??"

Your spoilt, in Aston there is now a holster fitted to most briefcases.
This is where a "hot shot" does not refer to business capabilities.
The lower class use shotguns.

wet_blobby

War Hero
Frankly if you're* in the situation where you need to use a pistol then I'd suggest something has gone badly wrong .

Pistols are very good for fitness,

I had a shoulder holster snap on me and a good ol' 9mil Browning come sailing out from under my jacket one day whilst loitering in a garage in sunny Belfast..... Run Royal Run.... :)

The next time I fired one was off the Arrse end of Fearless, I double tapped my way quiet quickly through the magazine and promptly got bollocked for firing a pistol in a gung ho and un-professional manner. I tried to explain that that was the way I'd been taught in my last posting but quickly gave up when I realised I was dealing with complete throbbers who'd been exposed to the Naval way of doing things for a bit to long.

The fitness theme continued as I cracked out some press ups for being Gung-ho.....

LC SNCO's, finger on the pulse of the mainstream Corps.... :)

jaggers

Lantern Swinger

As matelots we think of close combat as using the 4.5 inch. Pistols are a lot more important these days with counter insurgency/piracy etc meaning a lot more boardng parties

Sigs were only a uor for theatre. I believe no support contract is in place for maintenance. Hence awaiting for new pistol to come into service

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Murph Diamond Lil's 5
O Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
9 The Corps 61