New penalties for motorists

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tiddlyoggy, Aug 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Having posted middle lane hogs in the "Things that piss you off thread", I'm actually chuffed to bits with this news. Middle lane hogs, tailgaters and mobile phone users at the wheel, all dangerous and irritating habits. Happy days says I!

2. tiddlyoggy

Worryingly, the news on BBC breakfast this morning stated that the police may not have the resources to enforce these rules. I don't get that as there seem to be plenty of patrol cars on the motorway whenever I use them and can't cameras be employed to enforce the lane misuse and tailgating?

3. As am I Tidds however... if they are reducing the number of active traffic police patrols how are they going to enforce it???

4. tiddlyoggy

See my post just before you put that up mate!

• Like Like x 1
  5. The thing about tailgating is that it is often due to someone driving too slow in the wrong lane.

If you're doing 50 in the outside lane of the M6 then you should not complain when someone who actually has to be somewhere on time is trying to encourage you into a more appropriate lane.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Add these new punishments to this amazing new advert then Scottish roads could become a fun place to drive!

http://youtu.be/Cl_IzodNazY

7. These are not new offences, the police due to lack of resources have been unable to enforce them robustly in the past and will be unable to do so in the future for the same reason.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. Perhaps the Police should stop buying unnecessary, expensive BMW X5's and Range Rovers to ponce about in. Then they'd be able to put more plods out in cheaper vehicles to enforce these welcome new laws.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tiddlyoggy

I agree Doc, but that should also stop with the penalising of middle lane hogs.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I can't speak for your area but I would imagine that many of the patrol cars you see on the motorways are likely to be Highways Agency Traffic Officers.

Not really; they tend to be seen as a deterrent rather than an enforcement tool and can be used for evidential purposes post-incident, but for a Fixed Penalty Notice to be issued a Constable has to be present at or immediately after the incident to witness the infringement.

11. Leave earlier allowing time for unforeseen holdups.

12. sgtpepperband

Really? I don't know what vehicle you drive but I doubt you would be able to keep up with a high-performance vehicle doing in excess of 70mph in the outside lane in a standard Mondeo (or some other, similar 'off the shelf' model).

The Police Forces in the UK are independently responsible for what vehicles they obtain, within their own budgets. Some use Volvos, others use BMWs. But they are not there for "poncing around" in. Apart from dealing with idiotic drivers who tailgate of hog the middle lanes, they may be required to attend a high priority incident - perhaps with a firearms team on board - as soon as practicable. If that means getting there in an expensive vehicle, then so be it. I would not wish your family any harm at all, but I guarantee that the day when they are involved in a similar incident, the minutes you are waiting for a rapid response will feel like hours - and you'll no doubt be extremely grateful when the unit does arrive, thanks to the "unnecessarily" expensive car they drove to get there.

But seeing as we live in a democracy, if you don't like the way that the Police operates in your area, I would suggest you contact Bill Longmore, West Mercia Police's Police Crime Commissioner, who will no doubt be grateful of your comments.

13. sgtpepperband

I don't often disagree with your opinion, Doc, but on this occasion I must. I would imagine that in your line of work for have seen the results of someone driving at excessive speeds; as Witsend said, there may well be a lawful or reasonable explanation for the driver's speed. And last time I checked, the National Speed Limit on a highway is just that - a limit, not a target.

14. sgtpepperband

15. Good idea imo, but I dont think it will change much, every other car I see the driver is on the phone, Police should have more powers to deal with stuff?, and imo they should be able to deal with more serious stuff? by draging the offender of to the local court to get instant justice, standfast life or the death penalty, they (the police) must get sick and tired of spending time catching the crims only to see some bleading heart let them off "cos they had a bad childhood".

16. sgtpepperband

We already have - by issuing FPNs for relatively 'minor' offences. Failure to pay an FPN will result in subsequent court proceedings.

17. tiddlyoggy

I understand that speed cameras couldn't be applied, but what about something like the bus lane cameras (which have raised thousands of pounds in Guzz) or the average speed cameras, which seem smarter than normal cameras (and have no officer present??)

18. sgtpepperband

The weight of evidence will differ, according to the agency who owns (or operates) the camera. Bus companies and other non-Government agencies will issue enforcement notices rather than fines (only the Police and Courts can issue those). I agree that cameras have their uses in many violation situations but how do you suppose that a Police Officer issues an FPN to a driver for an offence only witnessed by a remote camera? :?

19. How does a motorway camera differ from cctv with regard to prosecuting offenders

20. Slight diversion from the main track of the thread but I saw a bloke chatting into a phone held to his left ear with his right hand whilst trying to execute a three point turn in a four wheel, bus sized vehicle, at the crossroads of two footstreets in central York only last week. Unfortunately the plod were noticeable by their absence as is usual in this fine City.
    IMHO the tw*t should lose his licence and his job, never mind three points and a fine.

2BM