New PC- Best Anti Virus?

EasilyDistracted said:
Gombear said:
angrydoc said:
Sell you PC, buy a Mac and as long as you don't go to really dodgy sites you'll be fine. Most (but not all) viruses don't work on Macs. This is changing, but I have had my current Mac for 2 years, no antivirus (just Mac firewall), no problems.
I've just bought a Mac Mini myself. What is classed as a really dodgy site?

Redtube
;-)

W

white_mafia

I have been using the free version of AVG for 5 years with no problems.

For malware, I use 3 as I have found that none of the 3 are 100%. The best of the 3, S&D, Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes, has to be Malwarebytes by a long way.

Having previously used Spybot, I decided to install Spyware Doctor to see if is any better. It immediately detected 23 tracking cookies and other low threat items that Spybot didn't detect!

Graf

Lantern Swinger
Crabman said:
Having previously used Spybot, I decided to install Spyware Doctor to see if is any better. It immediately detected 23 tracking cookies and other low threat items that Spybot didn't detect!
But you need to be aware that just because a tracking cookie is detected, doesn't automaticaly mean that it's a bad thing. RR puts tracking cookies on your system so every other website that you need to log into.

flymo said:
JonnoJonno said:
flymo said:
JonnoJonno said:
I forgot to mention the AV on my work computer. Check out 'Sophos', theyare top notch.
Sorry Jonno, but the Information Security industry are looking at Sophos and seeing a company struggling. There AV product isn't keeping up with the rest.
Cheers for the heads up. I'll check it out.
Kaspersky seem to be the one's to chase at the mo

Kaspersky offer a 60% discount for MOD personnel, and seems to be the least resource hungry of the "big" names...

Graf said:
Crabman said:
But you need to be aware that just because a tracking cookie is detected, doesn't automaticaly mean that it's a bad thing. RR puts tracking cookies on your system so every other website that you need to log into.
True, but Spyware Doctor does pick up other things and fixes them that neither Spybot nor Lavasoft even detect.

Its probably too late now.

I use one called Vipre. Its around 30 pounds but its for ten years. From a few lads who made kaspersky. Really good. Not a virus crept in yet

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Some of the main banks provide free antivirus/internet security software for their online banking customers. I'm not advertising, but Barlclays provide Kaspersky for free for 3 PC's, or 2016 internet security suite multi platform for 5 devices for about £7.

Mrs s pref is kaspersky we started using it years ago when my kids had free copies as students, seems to do the trick, had issues with my laptop recently, put kaspetsky onto laptop and it sorted it out.

JamieDonut87

Lantern Swinger
Mrs s pref is kaspersky we started using it years ago when my kids had free copies as students, seems to do the trick, had issues with my laptop recently, put kaspersky onto laptop and it sorted it out.
Same for me. The Mrs has had Kaspersky since her days as a student and now I have it on my laptop. I used to go with Norton but Kaspersky are much better.