New PC- Best Anti Virus?

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by Scouse_Castaway, May 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, just shelled out for a new PC and wondering what the general opinion is on the best anti virus or internet security suite software to get. Had terrible experience of Norton crap so open to suggestions.
  2. I use AVG not the free one I paid for the pro version with a firewall etc
    does the job well,£30 or £40 quid for a years licence.
    Worth it for the security.
    I too had problems with Norton and McAfee but this is good.
  3. You are 90% there if you access the internet over a wireless router with the firewall set on max. Most of the other standard threats are covered by Windows firewall.

I have one PC for fun with no AV on it at all, except the above firewalls. The other is locked-down with massive commercial AV software which slows me right down.

Think about what data you will be storing, and apply AV depending on the balance between speed and security.
  4. avast is a free AV that I use on my daughters PC and never had a problem with it.
  5. I'll second Avast, free version works fine.

Also I use Spybot S&D for anti spyware protection, the immunise feature is worth it alone
  6. I also use the free version of Avast, not had a problem and it does not hog resources. Many use the free version of AVG and report the same.
  7. Eset nod 32 , had it 2 years , its been spot on since ive had it and my laptop runs smoothly aswell.
  8. Sell you PC, buy a Mac and as long as you don't go to really dodgy sites you'll be fine. Most (but not all) viruses don't work on Macs. This is changing, but I have had my current Mac for 2 years, no antivirus (just Mac firewall), no problems.
  9. I second that, I am a recent convert to mac, mainly because I bought an Acer which has to be the unluckiest laptop ever. Connected to the net to register AV software and got a took out my disc drive, my wireless capability and hardline net access and the AV wouldn't work without registration. Alarms bells should have been ringin anyway seeing as it had Windows Vista, the most nervous operating system ever.

"are you sure you want to do this"

"are you sure you want to change this?"

"Do you have authorisation to do that?"

Anyway, turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Binned the PC and got a mac. Probably not what you want to hear really.

Tried Norton and it slowed my PC back to the 80's, AVG worked really well and negligable processor draw.
  10. I forgot to mention the AV on my work computer. Check out 'Sophos', theyare top notch.
  11. Sorry Jonno, but the Information Security industry are looking at Sophos and seeing a company struggling. There AV product isn't keeping up with the rest.
  12. I'll second that.
  13. I use AVG on my lappy and have Avast on the PC no probs with either of the free versions. Also use Search and Destroy for spyware.
  14. Congratulations on buying a Windows PC.

Now read this: Windows exploit that gets around all AV solutions

Now go and sell it and buy one without an Operating System on it and install a free Open Source flavour of Linux on it. I am currently using Opensuse 11.2. What AV? :)

And with the money saved, go and buy a pint or 10
  15. Cheers for the heads up. I'll check it out.
  16. Kaspersky seem to be the one's to chase at the mo
  17. I've just bought a Mac Mini myself. What is classed as a really dodgy site?
  18. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Windows Security Essentials is FREE.
  19. Second for Windows Security Essentials. It does the job well and it's free.

20. Redtube