New Online Application........

Discussion in 'RFA' started by PulpiHead, Jun 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I've been reading this forum for a while so thanks for all the info so far!

I'm currently filling out my online application and have a couple of queries if anyone's able to help?
    I was expecting a question or two along the lines of 'Why do you want to join the RFA'? or 'What can you bring to the role'? etc But there doesn't seem to be any. There's a few free text boxes to add comments to the basic questions. Anyone used these to have a ramble on?
    With regards to referees, the help box states for RFA not to put on employers/previous employers/family members etc. Now, I'm 36 so everyone else I've known for over 3 years I consider a friend - not sure you can put friends down for references??

I know it's early days, and the website shows interview dates etc, but does anyone have any ideas on start dates for this in take?

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My referees were friends. Recruitment contacted my then employers for a further reference.

Can't help with questions about the new application as mine was done on the old paper version.

Start dates depends on the role chosen but usually it's a couple of courses they recruit for with each recruitment drive. Last years SG2 recruitment started June 1st and the first course started in January, the second in May.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  3. Do they contact your current employer?
  4. I think ExJ answered that in the first sentence!
  5. Ahh I read that as Recruitment contacted my then employees for a further reference.

6. Hi Pulpihead ! I found that when I tried to put my gp's address in, it came up with the wrong postcode ! Today got a phone call saying that I'd stated that I was resident from Ethiopia ! It also doesn't allow other statements to be made eg I have already done the AFCO Test from last year which is still valid,but couldn't put that in ! I;ve also updated my STCW95 tickets, again couldn't update them, so I contacted RFA Recruitment direct to tell them and they said the info would show up at the sift.Anyway,to all my fellow SG2 applicants,good luck to all of you. This is my third attempt ! but I just can't give up trying to get in ! I've already committed all my savings and spare time going to nautical colleges and getting the relevant certifications,but lack sea time as I need the ratings watchkeeping ticket.It is a long journey,but as they say "It's better to try and fail,than not to try at all" There are some "top people" on this site like Ninja Stoker and Ex Jenny and others who are experts on the processes of the recruitment process who can guide you all along the way, so don't give up,whatever it takes !!!
  7. exJenny

Happy to help you new guys out anytime. I'll be restricted by dii/PC access but will try and answer any queries if/as and when I can :)

Wouldn't say I'm an expert but thanks SND.

8. Just completed mine. Spoke with RFA recruitment yesterday and was advised my score of 85 allows me to apply for Comms role as well as my relevant IT qualifications. So applying for Comms. Any issues with the qualifications and I will then apply for SG2. Good luck all.
  9. exJenny

Fingers crossed for you Goose.

10. exJenny

It's worth all the effort fellas. :)

11. Thanks exJenny
  12. Hi Dave (PulpiHead)
    I wouldn't worry too much about rambling on on the app, can't do any harm but might not make any difference. The sift is not done by RFA personnel and they will have 100s of apps to go through, so might not bother reading it. You'll get your chance to ramble if/when selected for interview.
    My referee is a friend. Thats all that was left after excluding employers/family etc. if successful, they will no doubt contact employers for references.
    Good luck with your app.

13. I had a hard time with the application as well mate. When trying to submit the form it would not let me because there was not a valid NHS number. I phoned them and they said leave it blank. Tried that and it did not work. Phoned them again. They suggested logging out and waiting 4 hours. No luck there. Phoned them the next day. They suggested cancelling the form and starting from scratch. Nope still saying please enter a valid NHS number. Phoned them once again. They emailed me another application. Sure enough it still was not happening. I figured that if I put 00 at the end of my NHS number it might let me submit it because it says that a new NHS number will have ten digits. I tried it and it would let me submit and that in the additional info box at the bottom I would explain the problem I was having. I phoned them again this morning to tell them of my discovery. They said no do not do that, fill it in again and leave it blank. So I did just that (after a lot of swearing after the phone was hung up). Still it would not let me. Once again I ring and explain to a different recruiter about my idea and he said "Yea that will be fine" haha. It says that it will only take 45 minutes to complete. 2 days later and Ive finally submitted the form. PHEWWW!

Best Regards.
  14. This form not as straight forward as the paper form I completed in November.

Hopefully it's worth the aggro.
  15. 5oclockhero - Who carries out the SIFT??

How soon are we likely to hear back regarding our applications?
  16. An "independant review panel"
  17. Any idea Who they may be?
  18. No idea goose. Some people who advise managers how to run their companies and give inspirational seminars no doubt.
  19. I received a phone call within 24 hours from my local AFCO about the RT.
  20. To clarify. After you completed online form you got a call 24hrs later to arrange RT??