New MOD Online Engagement Guidelines - Your views sought

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by defenceheadquarters, Aug 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Service and MOD personnel are being encouraged to talk about themselves and their work online within new guidelines which give advice on how they can protect their security, reputation and privacy.

New "Online Engagement Guidelines", published by the MOD today, 6 August 2009, make clear that Forces and MOD personnel can make full use of websites such as Facebook and YouTube as long as they: follow the same high standards of conduct and behaviour online as would be expected elsewhere; always maintain personal information and operational security and be careful about the information they share online; and, get authorisation from their chain of command when appropriate.

Under the new Guidelines, Armed Forces and MOD staff can talk about their work online without prior authorisation from their chain of command, as long as they stay within the advice. This is an important change over earlier rules, under which personnel always needed to seek authorisation before publishing any work-related material.

Service and MOD staff are also being asked to volunteer to operate social media presences as part of their official duties, to help explain their work to the public.

Read the new MOD Online Engagement Guidelines at:
    www.mod.uk/DefenceInte...elines.htm

The new guidelines are aimed primarily at Commanding Officers and Line Managers, but will be incrementally worked into the various training for all Forces and MOD personnel.

The existing MOD rules on contact with the media and communicating in public (2008DIN03-020) will be updated to reflect the new Guidelines.

MOD is actively seeking feedback on how the new Guidelines can be improved. If you have a comment or suggestion concerning the MOD's Online Engagement Guidelines, please feel free to leave a comment below, or on the Defence News Blog, or send a message via the MOD website.

Thanks,

Robin Riley
    DMC-PR Asst Hd (Internal and Online)

This was posted by the Ministry of Defence. You can find a copy at www.blogs.mod.uk

2. Yepp that sounds ok,

My names NorwayChris and i am an "alcoholic bum bosun", you have a nice day now ya hear, :wink:

Ps, If your a split do you have big tits ?

3. :roll: :roll: And Ex Matelots can do what they please :thebirdman: :thebirdman:

4. Hear hear scouse, :D :D

5. Who you trying to flannel, is your war office dead or incapacitated?

I get more NO's from my missus than I did as a requestman. :cry: 8O :D

6. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

DMC-PR-05-07-02 dated 5 August 2009
    Version 1.0
    ONLINE ENGAGEMENT GUIDELINES
    SUMMARY
    1. Service and MOD civilian personnel are encouraged to talk about what they do, but within certain limits to protect security, reputation and privacy. An increasingly important channel for this engagement, and to keep in touch with family and friends is social media (such as social networking sites, blogs and other internet self-publishing). Personnel may make full use of these but must:
    • Follow the same high standards of conduct and behaviour online as would be expected elsewhere;
    • Always maintain personal, information and operational security and be careful about the information they share online;
    • Get authorisation from their chain of command when appropriate (see para 2 below);
    2. Service and MOD civilian personnel do not need to seek clearance when talking online about factual, unclassified, uncontroversial non-operational matters, but should seek authorisation from their chain of command before publishing any wider information relating to their work which:
    • Relates to operations or deployments;
    • Offers opinions on wider Defence and Armed Forces activity, or on third parties without their permission; or
    • Attempts to speak, or could be interpreted as speaking, on behalf of your Service or the MOD; or,
    • Relates to controversial, sensitive or political matters.
    3. If in doubt personnel should always seek advice from their chain of command / line management.
    4. Service and MOD civilian personnel are encouraged to operate “sponsored†online presences to help communicate their work, including as part of their official duties, as long as these are authorised in advance, registered with MOD London (CIO and DMC), and support Service or Defence communication objectives. Commanding Officers, supported by Media and Communication staff, are responsible for clearance and oversight and should look for suitable opportunities.

Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,is all I have to say about this. Time will tell.

7. Good, I was wondering how the Cabinet Office recommendations being taken forward under Andrew Stott was going to be implemented in MoD.

It's been good to see Defence HQ, and PJHQ, transmitting, if not engaging, on twitter but it would make a huge difference if social media sites were actually available on the MoD networks.