New Minister

OSLO

War Hero
Once again, we get a new minister who has never worked in Defence, never served a day in uniform and has no real, tangible experience or knowledge of the department. This at a time when op tempo is at its highest, constraints on budgets are high, new equipment projects are overbudget and late.....

OSLO said:
Once again, we get a new minister who has never worked in Defence, never served a day in uniform and has no real, tangible experience or knowledge of the department. This at a time when op tempo is at its highest, constraints on budgets are high, new equipment projects are overbudget and late.....
Within the Labour Government and party is there one Labour MP who has served his or her country in armed conflict? None I am aware of None that has served his or her country on the battlefields of Colchester or Plymouth NAAFI's either .
Disregard them all.

Unfortunately Oslo that's life. You cannot make prospective MPs join up. I agree that they lack any perception of service life, they are just fed waffle by the spin doctors. Not only that, if they do not represent a "service" area they really don't give a shit.

Semper Strenuissima

Well, as she doesn't rely on the vote of anybody, we can assume that she definitely won't give a s**t.

Straight from MoD (Centre) Truth Factory;

The Right Honourable Baroness Ann Taylor of Bolton has been appointed Minister for Defence Equipment and Support today, Wednesday 7 November 2007.
Baroness Taylor succeeds Lord Drayson who is taking a break from politics to pursue his motor racing career in the United States.

Winifred Ann Taylor, Baroness Taylor of Bolton, was born on 2 July 1947 in Lancashire. She contested the Bolton West seat in the 1974 general election. As member for Bolton West between October 1974-83, she then contested the Bolton North East seat in the 1983 general election. She went on to become Labour Member for Dewsbury from 1987-2005. She was Parliamentary Private Secretary to Fred Mulley, who was Secretary of State for Education and Science 1975-76 and Secretary of State for Defence 1976-77.

Baroness Taylor was a Government Whip between 1977 and 1979, as well as being the Opposition Frontbench Spokesperson for a range of subjects including education and housing. She was Shadow Secretary of State for Education between 1992-1994, Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster between 1994-1995, Shadow Leader of the House 1994-1997, President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons 1997-1998 and the Government Chief Whip 1998-2001.

On 13 May 2005 she was made a Life Peer and confirmed as Baroness Taylor of Bolton, Greater Manchester, on 13 June 2005. Speaking on her arrival at MOD today Baroness Taylor said:

"I am delighted to have been appointed as Minister for Defence Equipment & Support and I am very much looking forward to working with you all. I feel honoured to be working alongside what I regard as the most professional and dedicated Armed Forces in the world, and with civil servants who are doing an excellent job in supporting them.

"I arrive at a time when our Armed Forces are involved in demanding operations overseas and I will work hard to ensure that our first priority continues to be the best possible support to them. I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can, both at home, and in operational theatres."

As Minister for Defence Equipment and Support Baroness Taylor is responsible for the Defence Equipment Programme through life, Defence logistics support, the Defence Industrial Strategy, Defence Science and Technology, Commercial policy throughout the Department, Defence exports, International aspects of defence equipment and support, and defence business in the House of Lords.

I wonder why the Tories have never sounded out that Irish born leader of that famous speech[Collins]
or the Mendoza officer who was hounded out.I respect both men and they are fine speakers,they should be shadow Armed forces spokes persons so Cameron, get to it,get them a peerage and lets get some proper questions answered.

onions said:
Unfortunately Oslo that's life. You cannot make prospective MPs join up. I agree that they lack any perception of service life, they are just fed waffle by the spin doctors. Not only that, if they do not represent a "service" area they really don't give a shit.

Semper Strenuissima
Onions,

I know it's not quite the same, but they can choose to have a taster of service life by signing up to the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme. Also quite a few MPs are ex-Regulars.

PM me for further details, if interested.

Steve.

Baroness Taylor succeeds Lord Drayson who is taking a break from politics to pursue his motor racing career in the United States.
And this Lord Drayson, is he still to receive parliamentary pay while playing with his scalectrix?

seafarer1939 said:
I wonder why the Tories have never sounded out that Irish born leader of that famous speech[Collins]
or the Mendoza officer who was hounded out.I respect both men and they are fine speakers,they should be shadow Armed forces spokes persons so Cameron, get to it,get them a peerage and lets get some proper questions answered.

What a slendid idea "seafarer1939" , afraid the slimy cxxxs on the labour benches would hound them day & night , sad as that me be . would love to see them appointed though .

Well here's a thought;
MoD delay to defence deal sheds light on why minister quit.

The Ministry of Defence is to delay a decision on a multi-billion pound contract for a new generation of armoured vehicles after Treasury pressure to drive down the price.

An announcement of the MoD's preferred supplier for the contract, Future Rapid Effect System (FRES), was to be made tomorrow and the move to extend the tender process sheds more light on reasons why defence procurement minister Lord Drayson resigned earlier this month.

FRES will be the MoD's largest contract, with the original plan to order about 3,000 vehicles worth £10bn over 10 years. The deal's total value, including maintenance and support, would be up to £60bn over the lifetime of the programme. But the Treasury wants the MoD to look again at the bids, and there is talk within the Ministry that the final contract may be for only 700 to 1,500 vehicles.

Within the defence industry, the long-delayed FRES had become a byword for the MoD's mishandling of big arms procurements.But in May Lord Drayson pledged in an interview with The Daily Telegraph that a decision on the winning bidder would be made by the end of November. "That is the first time that this department has said a decision will be made at a definite time," Lord Drayson promised. "The department has never done that before. I will keep the department to that. I learned as chief executive of a public company that it was important to do what you say."

He added: "Fres is a project that was going round in circles; without clarity and without drive. The department allowed that to happen... It should not have happened."

Lord Drayson resigned on November 7, saying he wanted to fulfil a dream of racing in the Le Mans championship. But there has been intense speculation of a bust-up with his boss, the Defence Secretary Des Browne, and also the Treasury.

Lord Drayson said in May that getting Fres signed would be a good test of the MoD's Defence Industrial Strategy (DIS), a plan drawn up to help government and industry work in partnership rather than competition.

An updated DIS was to be announced this month, but that has also been delayed.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/11/29/cnmod129.xml

NotmeChief said:
And this Lord Drayson, is he still to receive parliamentary pay while playing with his scalectrix?
NotMeChief, he will receive no pay as a Minister whilst he is on long leave. As a member of the unelected place he receives no salary, only attendance, etc allowances when he attends the House of Muffins.

thingy

Passed-over_Loggie said:
Well here's a thought;
MoD delay to defence deal sheds light on why minister quit.

The Ministry of Defence is to delay a decision on a multi-billion pound contract for a new generation of armoured vehicles after Treasury pressure to drive down the price.

An announcement of the MoD's preferred supplier for the contract, Future Rapid Effect System (FRES), was to be made tomorrow and the move to extend the tender process sheds more light on reasons why defence procurement minister Lord Drayson resigned earlier this month.

FRES will be the MoD's largest contract, with the original plan to order about 3,000 vehicles worth £10bn over 10 years. The deal's total value, including maintenance and support, would be up to £60bn over the lifetime of the programme. But the Treasury wants the MoD to look again at the bids, and there is talk within the Ministry that the final contract may be for only 700 to 1,500 vehicles.

Within the defence industry, the long-delayed FRES had become a byword for the MoD's mishandling of big arms procurements.But in May Lord Drayson pledged in an interview with The Daily Telegraph that a decision on the winning bidder would be made by the end of November. "That is the first time that this department has said a decision will be made at a definite time," Lord Drayson promised. "The department has never done that before. I will keep the department to that. I learned as chief executive of a public company that it was important to do what you say."

He added: "Fres is a project that was going round in circles; without clarity and without drive. The department allowed that to happen... It should not have happened."

Lord Drayson resigned on November 7, saying he wanted to fulfil a dream of racing in the Le Mans championship. But there has been intense speculation of a bust-up with his boss, the Defence Secretary Des Browne, and also the Treasury.

Lord Drayson said in May that getting Fres signed would be a good test of the MoD's Defence Industrial Strategy (DIS), a plan drawn up to help government and industry work in partnership rather than competition.

An updated DIS was to be announced this month, but that has also been delayed.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/11/29/cnmod129.xml
Another explanation for the delays to FRES is that the vehicles will have to meet current and planned EU emission laws - I kid you not !

Reminds me of a Contracts Bulletin announcement a few years back for " environmentally friendly hand grenades" - agian, I kid you not !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B The Quarterdeck 5
Jenny_Dabber Current Affairs 14
D Current Affairs 3