New Memorial to Cockleshell Heroes Unveiled

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by trelawney126, Nov 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nice one and in a very appropriate place.

2. Agreed, a fine monuement to to a very brave event.

3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

It can't happen twice in one day, it just can't!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Face it Tiddly, you've reached a certain age and have turned to the dark side :biggrin:

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I've not raised my papers!

6. That's a bit of luck as refusal sometimes offends.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ========================
    ========================

As he strode around those assembled at yesterday's windswept Frankton Parade Lord Paddy Ashdown uttered 'Submariners...' en passant with a gleam in his eye and in a particularly curious tone you'll never hear whenever certain 'others' use that particular word. Being ex- SBS, I guess he should know... :wink:

It was blowing a buzzard but, of all the Platoons present, VIPs, youth, serving, retireds and civpopln. the young RMC Cadets were a credit to their Instructors and to the ethos of the Corps. BZ to all those Younkers.

Later, Lord Asdown related, with much gratitude, how many ordinary French families had displayed tremendous courage by unquestioningly welcoming and housing their unexpected 'guests' at mortal risk as they made their long escape trek to repatriation. (There was but one polite refusal). Respect - Recently acknowledged with a distinctive plaque at each of those homesteads along the tortuos trail to freedom.

Later that day:

IMG_1372.jpg

This new Memorial lies 150 Metres to the East of the turning into the entrance of the RM Museum Car Park which itself is prominently marked by that iconic statue of 'him who yomped.' The main seafront road - Eastney Esplanade - lies (unseen) just below the spiked railings.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Blue plaques commemorating the Cockleshell Heroes were unveiled on 24 October in Worthing Road and Spencer Road, Southsea, outside the houses where the men were accommodated before their mission in 1942:

Blue plaques remember Cockleshell Heroes of WW2

9. Thanks for that BOOTWU, I look forward to seeing it for myself in due course.