New member with a gift for those interested:

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by frayedknotarts, Jan 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

Reporting aboad with a wee present for those who might be interested in traditional knotting skills: A fresh Bellrope Tutorial which is a step-by-step on creating one, with coverage of a ringbolt (Spanish coxcomb) hitched strop-eye, "over-two" fender hitching and simple grafting as well.

I'm looking for pictures of your fancywork or that which you may have collected, as well as looking for anyone who might want to contribute a tutorial of their own for my tutorial library. I'm hoping to get a LOT of knowledge up on the web to keep the art alive into the 21st.

Especially interested in chest beckets and RN whistle lanyards!

Vince Brennan, Philadelphia
  2. Knot (geddit?) wishing to take the mickey, but where do the batteries go?

PS it is a very intricate and lovely piece of work BTW!
  3. To steal a phrase.....GOOD GOD WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!( sorry Nutts it had to be done)...........
  4. lol.....
  5. Hey Frayed, welcome to the site mate :)

Just wanted to say that is one beautiful piece of art there matey!
    Must've taken quite a while to do, nice one ;)
  6. Thanks for the compliments.... try doing one... you'll love the results!

Not really too long... I'd expect that it would take about 30 hours total for someone without experience and about 8-10 after that.... They're really a lot simpler than they look, which is the fact about most fancywork. Knowing what to do and when is the trick, the rest is all sewing.

Incidentally, Ros...batteries go in the tip, of course, under the waterproof door.... (had to go change trousers after reading your post!)
  7. [​IMG]

That cosh is far too good for a Crusher to use on some pod sod... must be a ceremonial cosh for the Josses' Parade Day?

Beautiful work of art and fine piece of craftsmanship! BZ Frayed!
  8. Hmmmm... never thought of using it as a cosh.... now that's TWO new uses for a bellrope (although the first is a bit... uncomfortable... IMHO.)
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Tell us a bit about yourself Vince, on behalf of Steve (AAC) as you have a beard could you put a couple of nude photos of yourself on the site (it would be even better for him if you had some sort of Stoker background)
  10. JANNER! How forward are you!!! 8O
  11. Cheeky sod! :lol:
  12. Very impressive skills Vince! You don't see artwork like that these days.
  13. janner

It's not for me you understand!!!
  14. Yeah right!!!!!
  16. nice work - makes my few efforts look totally pathetic!! x
  17. Yew asked fer it, Laddie! The last one's for Steve, but no Stoker in me...all Deck Ape.
  18. janner

Nice one Vince, I think He's seen the third one before, but no doubt will spend the forenoon in the stationary cupboard with his sock friend lol
  19. Full of Swarfega!!

Nice ropework, but i know you can't see it in pic 3!!! :)
  20. Janner, yer terrible! Funny, but terrible!

Stripey, I gotta confess you got me on "SWARFEGA".... that's a new on on me....???

Anyone recognize this one?