New look Navy Uniform

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by The_Jimmy, Oct 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RAN's new two-piece uniform with improved safety bootsThe Royal Australian Navy is set to benefit from a new two-piece fire-retardant uniform, complete with improved safety boots.

Much of the design for the replacement Navy uniform derives from the land warfare version introduced in the mid-90s by the Australian Army. The two-piece uniform will align with other ADF combat uniforms in its use of the Australian Camouflage (AUSCAM) pattern, but will be unique to Navy in terms of the littoral colours used and the addition of reflective tape on the upper arms.

There are tangible benefits in moving to a two-piece uniform in terms of health, comfort and morale. The ability to 'relax' the level of dress, depending on the nature of the operation, is seen as advantageous in combating heat related illness and it will provide both male and female personnel at sea with an enhanced practical contemporary uniform, distinct to Navy.

Patrol Boat crews operating in the tropical and humid environments in our northern waters are particularly looking forward to the introduction of the new uniform, and are mooted to be amongst the first recipients.

There will also be a benefit of inventory rationalisation as Action Working Dress, which saw introduction in 1945, is also phased out and replaced by the two-piece uniform.

Following a review of footwear, replacement safety boots will be introduced into service to provide greater comfort and the inventory will be reduced, with the alternative boot expected to do the job of five other types of footwear currently in use.

Sixty thousand sets of the uniform are required for the initial delivery to the RAN and this represents a $13m dollar injection into the Australian textile and manufacturing industries.

Rollout of the new two-piece fire-retardant operational uniform will commence mid-2008.
  2. Not very good camo okker, I can see the geezer quite clearly :dwarf:
  3. LOL Yeah

The only good thing is our female sailors will be able to go to the heads without taking their gear off. (We wear grey Combat Coveralls when at sea) :dwarf:
  4. YUK
    :pukel: :pukel: :pukel:
  5. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

And rumor on the streets is the RN will soon stop CS95 being worn by all except those on direct exchange with RM/Army or if in combat tours.

So Battle staff and divers, best you dust off those No4's. Oh yes and gangway staff back in blue.

You heard it here first. tap tap.
  6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

All the Single Service 3* have issued directives I believe to get day worker out of CS95 and into single service working dress.

The RAF have taken the lead, JFAC are now in blues, the rest follow from Mon (or may have been last Mon)...Maritime Battlestaff have already been told to follow suite.

I think there are two reasons, one ethos and identity and secondly a new CS95 is being developed and introduced which will be more expensive hence the rationale to get only those who really need it wearing it.
  7. The grey coveralls are a ton better than the crap AWD we get issued. When will we ever get a clothing system that actually works at sea? Or one that actually fits the people that are supposed to be wearig it. At least they've introduced the old skool ovies again.
  8. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Wave - do you have the DIN number etc cause I need to sort out my teams onboard so we comply. Cheers
  9. So no more Andy McDabber!
  10. wave_dodger

I don't think there is a DIN (although I may be wrong) I sighted a note from CAS to his commanders spelling it out and got a similar story at one of the internal meetings in Leach. I am on leave this week and then on a TLCM course the week after (can't wait :pukel: )if you still need it I will chase it up afterwards; SXO or Porflot XO should know now?
  11. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Wouldn't dream of contacting PORFLOT - I would be scrapping the sole of my shoe for weeks. I'll try DEVFLOT.
  12. I can really see the need for Cammo kit on board!!!!!!!!!

Skulking from wayward OOD's and the eagly eyed Jimmy's!!! :salut: :scratch:
  13. About time IMHO. For too long certain people having been using C95 to pretend to be in some other service - making a sort of statement as it were ("I can't do your duties because I'm wearing this stuff" for example...). It'll be good to have everyone 'back on board' again.
  14. A camouflage uniform with reflective stripes to make the wearer easy to see. Can anyone else see how bizzare this idea is? If they want to make the troops hard to see on board then issue gear patterned on a pussers counterpane so one can hide in ones rack, or possibly a brew mug pattern so as not to be seen at stand easy.

The inmates are running the asylum! :pukel:
  15. So the camo style fabric is a fashion statement rather than a practical need.
  16. wave_dodger

Ah, pasties for standeasy then!
  17. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

The finest hangover cure known to man, that and an Irn Bru
  18. I think the Camo is to hide the gravy and Tomato Sauce stains
  19. Nah wardroom don't do tomato sauce and especially baked beans they are definately not on the menu.
  20. I believe this is meant to be tri-service rig that will cut costs through economy of scale, although why the navy version needs to be in a camouflage pattern is beyond me. Possibly the powers that be think a macho looking camouflage rig will impress the wogs when a boarding party comes calling. Back in the day the wogs were suitably impressed by a boarding party clad only in steaming boots and shorts, but obviously this no longer works in todays navy.
    And all these badges etc. on this rig may look cool to some dipshit in Navy office whose idea of military uniform comes from watching Top Gun, but in the real world it just makes you look like a ******.