'New look' for Royal Navy Police

I still fail to see and have yet to have an answer to, if RN still has branch badges why is the Logo "RN Police" required. If it is, then it follows that all branches need to have a similar logo i.e. "RN Seaman", "RN Stokers" or whatever todays branch names are. If it is not required and as no move has been made by Pusser to go down that track then it is part of a "Must have a badge" syndrome".

Since the 80's Pusser has followed down the road of Morris/Austin make no improvement to the product just keep changing the name or badge and every body will think it has been improved, OM's et-al, seaman ,we are the Navy why would we need seaman etc etc etc and you young turks wonder why us old pharts weep.

Nutty

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
This is a good demonstration of what happens to you when you join the branch.

Just look at the progression from LH through to SUY Officer..... you have to get fatter,shorter and lose your hair as you progress. And the bit when you have to dress as a woman when you get to Chief Policewoman is a real snag.......

silverfox said:
This is a good demonstration of what happens to you when you join the branch.

Just look at the progression from LH through to SUY Officer..... you have to get fatter,shorter and lose your hair as you progress. And the bit when you have to dress as a woman when you get to Chief Policewoman is a real snag.......
Which one's dressed as a woman? They all look like blokes to me....

Have you ever wondered why crushers always go round in pairs - as only one can read and one can write - so the job titles on the flashes must be so the one that can read knows who they are on the beat with!

Oil_Slick said:
superpom said:
Are 'they' still made up of rejects from other (real) Branches? 8)

<looks out window at reggies having another smoko>

Yep, 6 heads, 12 legs, 12 arms, 6 lonely brain cells…
Sounds about right.... :roll: ...what a shower of tossers....funny how they look the part too... :D ...wonder how much someone got paid to come up with that load of crap... :roll:

AntC

Lantern Swinger
Am I allowed to be controversial and suggest that it might be a good idea?

A fair proportion of the people working on our shore establishments are civilians and contracters etc, and so it makes sense to give the Regs that added visibility in order to make them easily recognisable to civilians. Also, it is often necessary for the regs to work ashore when there are big nights out/events going on if a ship is visiting a smaller town, and in this case it makes sense again to allow the regs to be identified as RN provost to the civilians prowling the streets.

I don't imagine too many civilians would care if a matelot was an "RN Seaman" or "RN Engineer" though to be honest.

AntC said:
Am I allowed to be controversial and suggest that it might be a good idea?

A fair proportion of the people working on our shore establishments are civilians and contracters etc, and so it makes sense to give the Regs that added visibility in order to make them easily recognisable to civilians. Also, it is often necessary for the regs to work ashore when there are big nights out/events going on if a ship is visiting a smaller town, and in this case it makes sense again to allow the regs to be identified as RN provost to the civilians prowling the streets.

quote]

I don't imagine too many civilians would care if a matelot was an "RN Seaman" or "RN Engineer" though to be honest. I doubt if they would take any more notice of RN Police than a Stoker or Seaman, not likely to face a Court Martial run by a crusty old Admiral. Few take notice of Plod as it is.

Nutty :roll:

Chill fellas it’s only a bit of gold lettering, we are still the same failed in our original branch snakes that you know and love to hate!

I know that I will no doubt get a tirade of abuse regardless of my opinion as I am a serving Reggie but I am willing to accept it in the spirit that it is meant (some Reggies have a sense of humour).

With regards to the epaulettes themselves, although not entirely welcomed by Reggies and the wider Matelots community alike I can see how they serve a purpose.

I have recently returned from an LFS where I was the only Reggie serving among a Tri-Service community of approximately 3500 personnel, (of which 99% were Pongo/Crab) the majority of whom were accompanied by their immediate family, who coincidentally were also subject to Military Law.

Upon my arrival I was informed that I would have to remove my hard earned Crown as it would confuse Percy and Biggles, who associate the wearing of Crowns with Rank. Even the majority of the other Service Police (approx 60 Monkeys and 60 Snowdrops) had no idea what the Crown meant. After much bun fighting (about 2 months) during which the confusion caused to the other Services and their families was abundantly obvious, it was decided that I would wear the Scarlett Beret of the Royal Military Police(with RN beret badge) with my RAF Uniform, which was emblazoned with an MP Patch directly below my Crown. (I always maintained my single Service identity with an RN Stable Belt and epaulettes).

Needless to say I was still saluted and called Sir on a daily basis by those I had not briefed as to my actual Rank; however I had tried my best.

I think that in the current and future ‘Purple Community’ ethos of Tri Service Policing the Reg Branch/RN Police did need to be more formally recognised as members of the Armed Forces who are trained in accordance with current Home Office guidelines for Civilian Policemen/women (PACE '84 etc) as are all Service Policemen regardless of Service, however, I only wish the option chosen looked a little less cheap and cheerful.

cygnusinteranates said:
It was decided that I would wear the Scarlett Beret of the Royal Military Police(with RN beret badge) with my RAF Uniform, which was emblazoned with an MP Patch directly below my Crown. (I always maintained my single Service identity with an RN Stable Belt and epaulettes).
Out of rig of the day, or what. Why were you wearing an RAF uniform?
I find it outrageous that the other (junior) services dictated your uniform. It's the unform of the RN. There are many army uniforms that are confusing. Don't see the navy telling them to conform to something simpler. Confusing to others!. The bloody cheek.
:angry2:

Out of rig of the day, or what. Why were you wearing an RAF uniform?
I find it outrageous that the other (junior) services dictated your uniform. It's the unform of the RN. There are many army uniforms that are confusing. Don't see the navy telling them to conform to something simpler. Confusing to others!. The bloody cheek.
:angry2:
It is the policy of where I was serving that all members of the Armed Forces less the 2 RIB's would wear the RAF KD uniform during the summer, the only stipulation being that those on Police Duties would wear trousers not the ghastly shorts.

To be honest I didnt mind and neither did most others. The uniform itself is better designed that any RN (or pongo) uniform for that particular climate.

For the same reasons when on training/availables or out in the field/doing CFT and other Pongo sh1te I would wear CS95 or CS95(D) depending on the time of year, again emblazoned with a crown, RN Stable Belt and MP Patch but with the addition of a great whacking ROYAL NAVY above my top right pocket.

The uniform issued for use by the RN is great on ships but falls short in other conditions, however during winter months I would revert back to No.3's which always gave me that warm fluffy feeling (Normally because I had p1ssed myself!)

As a side note the unit hierarchy always encouraged as much single service identity as possible, with all members being actively encourage to wear their Cap and not beret when not in a vehicle/on patrol. I also got to wear my No.1's quite a lot (to the amusement of all) as I was always wheeled out for visitors/remembrace etc.

CIA

AntC

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
I don't imagine too many civilians would care if a matelot was an "RN Seaman" or "RN Engineer" though to be honest. I doubt if they would take any more notice of RN Police than a Stoker or Seaman, not likely to face a Court Martial run by a crusty old Admiral. Few take notice of Plod as it is.

This is true, however if they wanted to report an issue they would have a better idea who to turn to. Also, as stated above it helps with the tri-service identity stuff.

Drakey Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:28 pm Post subject: Re: 'New look' for Royal Navy Police
Thanks for the full story "Swan among ducks".
:hello1: Most Monkeys and Snowdrops never got the reference, even though some of them know me and my user name which I use on most sites. Thick as..... :banghead:

CIA

AntC said:
Nutty said:

This is true, however if they wanted to report an issue they would have a better idea who to turn to. Also, as stated above it helps with the tri-service identity stuff.
Additionally with the advent of AFA'06 (full implimentation due later this year!) MOD Civilians became subject to the Service Disicpline Act under certain circumstances. They will want to know who the rozzers are then if only to avoid us!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MaiBelle Diamond Lil's 118
Handler Current Affairs 29
bollotom The Gash Barge 12