New Joiners - Pay and allowances questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by WindowLickerScribe, Jun 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay, I couldn't find a thread for this, but as common questions keep cropping up, I thought it would make sense to start a thread where questions can be answered about pay and allowances for the RN/RM. Obviously always check with your AFCO over any advice given.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  2. In short is the new pension scheme worth it for those who don't plan on doing a full 22 years?

From the age of 16 I was given my inheritance which, with the help of my banks funds manager has been split up into various low/med/high risk investments (mutual funds, ISA's, property and commodity ETF's) and five years on is ticking over nicely. Now at 21 I Am planning on using these investments as my "pension" and to top them up every month from my wages. If I opt out will I be missing out on any benefits? Will I be penalised in any way for not taking an armed forces pension etc?

3. Ahh right, I was under the impression they were contributory and came out of you pay each month.

4. Careful though - your extra pension plus a Forces pension contribute to the same pot, and if you go over the margin you will be very heavily taxed!

5. Yes, but only on the amount that is 'over the margin', so you will still be better off.

6. AAF

AAF Badgeman

At least you are making plans for the future at such a young age FM, far too many youngsters could not give a s.... so more power to you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's alright, my man Farage has opened something for me in the Cayman Islands*

Please note I do not promote tax evasion, tax avoidance on the other hand... ​

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Careful Firemonkey, Finks will have the lynch mob round sharpish with comments like that.

9. I have a question if I may?

I'm trying to find out what the daily rate of pay is for a new entry RNR Officer who has not yet completed the two week camp at Dartmouth. Now I'm assuming this will be quite a bit less than the salary I left the RN on (about 22 -23 grand a year), will my previous service be taken into account? Do I start on a higher increment than a standard 'off the street' new entrant?

I'm already aware that I will go in on top whack bounty.

Any ideas?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a rough "ball-park" any trained rank with a break in service in excess of 5 years, normally reduces a re-entrant down to the flat rate during training.

I've yet to see anyone rejoin and awarded an entirely equal pay increment level to anything near what they last earned when serving, but after completing training it's not uncommon to be partially awarded former service pay seniority on a similar equivalent daily rate - if you produce former service pay statements.

The actual pay rate will be announced in the Approval To Process letter together with the selection elements required for entry & the terms under which you rejoin.

11. Cheers for the quick reply, it was just a long shot. I'm hoping that my time in New Entry/pre Dartmouth will be minimal, once I've got that out of the way it's happy days and I'll be on a Sub Lt's daily rate.

Assuming of course I pass the AIB. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Might as well hi jack this...

What are the deductions from your pay?

Looking at old posts you get deducted for accommodation, food, council tax but a lot of those posts are 4+ years old so figure things may have changed?

Cheers

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

13. There's quite a few things that can be deducted from your pay:

1) Accommodation charges (though if you're married, in a civil partnership or the sole custodian of a child, then you won't)

2) In Phase 1 (Raleigh), you pay for your food. It's around £140 per month depending on the amount of days there are. Everywhere else is Pay As You Dine (PAYD) for all Naval units. The Army have only managed 78% of their units to move over to PAYD and the RAF at around 98%

3) Council Tax is known as CILOCT for both Married Quarters and SLA. It still gets paid by you. (Again, if you're married, etc, then that's different)

4) Sports Lottery, a voluntary deduction but does help pay for all the sport and AT you can do.

5) Other various deductions like PAX, paying for extra uniform items, damage charges and the like can also be deducted from your pay at source. I'm not including National Insurance or Income Tax as those are a given.

This isn't exhaustive by the way and other elements only crop up from time to time.

14. Re-entry

Question, I was previously a CPO submariner, have been. Outside a year, if I was to rejoin the navy or the army do I retain any seniority or rank ?

15. No one in the navy, (not counting the marines, their more of a self sustaining body), could last the British Army.

16. Really? Tell that to the guys and gals based in Chicksands. Even though it's tri-service, they have to undertake the AFT, PFT and other army elements when doing the handling courses. Two of the fittest blokes on the station belong to the RN.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Am I right in thinking your pay rate goes up when Raleigh phase 1 is completed?

18. Really? Because I chose to join the RN that means I would be unable to last in the Army had I joined them instead? I'm trying to think of a way to express how stupid your comment is without swearing. I'll just leave it...

Not quite. It goes up after 6 months. You may be told that it goes up after six months from joining or on completion of phase two training. But it is definitely after 6 months. I got my pay rise in September and didn't finish phase two training till middle of October.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your pay increases to increment level one, six months after joining. At present that's an increase from about £14k to £17k.

20. Thanks ninja and wannabejack. I'll be taking a significant pay cut when I start in march so will have to reign myself in considerably. Again though, money isn't why I joined either

• Like Like x 3