New Jack Speak - Gen-up ?

Hosk

I left the mob in 87 and I have noticed that Jack Speak has evolved like any language I guess. I never used to use the word shipwreck as opposed to shippers and I don't remember saying "Negat, Seacat" but I think that's quite a funny retort. Anyway my question is - what do the sprogs use these days for "Honest" where we used to use the phrase "Gen-Up"? As in "I didn't tea-leaf your anti-flash, Knocker. Gen-up shippers." I'm pretty sure I heard a wren (okay a lady sailor) slagging someone off for using this term when she asked him a question, but I can't remember what the term is. Anyone know? Or am I dreaming?

Honest- gen / safeguard
Pop/ juice- Hoffa
Brew- wet
Cigarette- tab

It’s not really changed much and hardly anyone speaks fluent jackspeak these days, just the odd word here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hosk

Cheers ops! That's it - Safeguard! "Safeguard, all clips" is the one I heard. Very funny. Cheers.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Honest- gen / safeguard
Pop/ juice- Hoffa
Brew- wet
Cigarette- tab

It’s not really changed much and hardly anyone speaks fluent jackspeak these days, just the odd word here and there.

Negat seacat zippo Charlie. Me old SSN 19.
Berets in the ops room, 12 clips, ears on the upper deck...

Laundry is now ready for collection.
Etc etc etc...

Hosk

I was a WAFU and based at Portland whn one time I was in the queue for the Oggy wagon and this fish-head in front of me literally asked for "Oggin Dust" for his chips. I couldn't believe my ears. He was on his own it wasn't a gag - got any oggin-dust. Brilliant.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I was a WAFU and based at Portland whn one time I was in the queue for the Oggy wagon and this fish-head in front of me literally asked for "Oggin Dust" for his chips. I couldn't believe my ears. He was on his own it wasn't a gag - got any oggin-dust. Brilliant.
Fullers earth. (Spelling). -pepper.
"Cold move the slide and fullers earth down to my wharf, shipmate".
Heard that once. Felt like sticking my plate over his head.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Funniest one I heard was a sonar bender (WE tiff in case you didn't know) say he would be late down the boat as he had to take his Mrs to the docs as "her stbd flank array had gone tits up"

She'd lost hearing in the right ear.

And that dit is a safeguard, two clips , two pins (submariner speak).

Ok I’m off to go get my dictionary cause I have not got the foggiest what half of you lot are on about (coming from a 3 badge killick, you can all blame @WreckerL as he was my DO when I was a sprog)!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Ok I’m off to go get my dictionary cause I have not got the foggiest what half of you lot are on about (coming from a 3 badge killick, you can all blame @WreckerL as he was my DO when I was a sprog)!

And you still don't pay attention ;)

Now trim the red lead aft, me oggies getting cold.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Had a sea cadet come onboard for some look around with the rest of his unit(?) etc.
Called me shipmate. How I chortled. (Not).

Harry safers, green fowlies, 12 clips, HTAS, the oggie wagon is now in attendance on the jetty, and Louis Bernard's. Chief stoker, jetty.

Waspie

War Hero
These days it seems killicks are referred to as 'Leader'
Okay...but in German that is 'Fuhrer'. Just sayin......
That started in the WAFU pinger world. I hated it and blatantly ignored any officer that addressed me as such to!!!

Sumo

War Hero
Funniest one I heard was a sonar bender (WE tiff in case you didn't know) say he would be late down the boat as he had to take his Mrs to the docs as "her stbd flank array had gone tits up"

Nowt wrong with that.
I suppose if she had a fender bender on her Stb flank, she. Would have hurt her right tit?

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Mrs WB was on a ship's families Facebook page and one of the squadron lads had his mum on there.
She always started her posts as Shipmates.

She had some very cringeworthy posts on there.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Mrs WB was on a ship's families Facebook page and one of the squadron lads had his mum on there.
She always started her posts as Shipmates.

She had some very cringeworthy posts on there.
I got asked to join a local RNA (local being 10 miles away) and was greeted with "welcome aboard shipmate",

I never went back!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero

Not me or mine!!

However, the upward looking array has gone on mine. As has the control system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hooly Can anyone give me the jack speak for the different branches and trades please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 64
Soothsayer Jack Speak Guidline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
R Jack Speak The Gash Barge 29
A Jack Speak Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Ventress Jack Speak The Quarterdeck 78
MoD_RSS Alister Jack responds to July 2020 Labour Market figures MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary Alistair Jack marks 2020 Armed Forces Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alister Jack responds to June 2020 Labour Market figures MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully The Union Jack Diamond Lil's 2
C Can't PM Union Jack Bloody Computers 1
soleil FB: BBC Archive: "1972: Nationwide's Jack Pizzey Examines The Cornish Pasty" Bases / Shore Est 0
MoD_RSS UK set to introduce ‘Jack’s Law’ – new legal right to paid parental bereavement leave MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alister Jack responds to January 2020 labour market figures MoD News 0
Dusty70 First God created the RN - then Jack Dusties to Lord over it Social & Reunions 0
MoD_RSS Alister Jack responds to December 2019 labour market figures MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alister Jack responds to September 2019 labour market figures MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alister Jack comments on GERS 2018-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alister Jack appointed as Secretary of State for Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: ‘Gentleman Jack’ - in need of the Coal Authority MoD News 0
S Jack/Matelot Diamond Lil's 7
MoD_RSS News story: Animal medicines improvement notice: Taggart Jack, Omagh, County Tyrone MoD News 0
D jack justy- im not on a 3 year wait am i Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
Seaweed Jack Tar The Book Club 3
soleil Sunday Times: "Should It Be Union Flag Or Is Jack All Right?" The Fleet 22
soleil The 'Forever Jack' Onesie The Quarterdeck 71
Rachelthree 'The Sea is My Brother' by Jack Kerouac The Book Club 1
wet_blobby Jack's bigging himself up on facebook.... Diamond Lil's 37
SONAR-BENDER Jolly Jack the bank robber Diamond Lil's 30
soleil Union Jack Club - Army v Navy Rugby 2013 - April 27th 2013 Sports and Adventure Training 1
BillyNoMates Jack Caroll Diamond Lil's 7
K Help requested ,, looking for old 'Jack' cartoons The Quarterdeck 38
K Old time Jack History 1
jambosun Jack gets everywhere! - Sweet Home Alabama BBC4 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 8
N Jack on the Pull !! Blue Jokes 0
wet_blobby Jack....Today..... v...... Yesterday Diamond Lil's 24
soleil Navy News: "I'm A Zumba Jack And I'm Alright..." The Fleet 2
soleil Coventry T'graph: "Captain Jack Sparrow Is Britain's Most Famous Seaman" Current Affairs 5
S Jack's Defiance! History 5
Y Royal Navy Stores Accountants, Jack Dustys or Logistics Supply Chain Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Flammin Gallah Jack on leave Nautical Jokes 0
R HMS Bellerophon 1960's Robert (Jack) Hawkins surgeon commander History 13
S Jack and Jill Blue Jokes 0
R Jack n Jenny Blue Jokes 0
SONAR-BENDER Jack Sh*t Diamond Lil's 7
21_Man Jack The Quarterdeck 11
Rumrat Austin Dobson, do you think he might have been "Jack" Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
scouse 2ND Class Travel PSs , Budge up jack !!!!! Current Affairs 4
Joint_Force_Harrier Percy & The Crabs but No Jack? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 8
soleil New book by Ted Macey, HMS Ganges PTI: "Jack the Lad RN" The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Scotsman (Opinion): "No wonder Jack Tar's jolly ......" Current Affairs 0