new here, and i got a family question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by paolo, Feb 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. alright fellas, new here. dont know if im posting in the wrong place so apologes if i am.
    right basically im fed up to my f*cking eyeballs of doing dead end jobs for min wage, tying to support a family and going knowere in life. its time to take action and make something off my self. right, well thats a little about me. anyway i really wont to sign up to the navy and do a trade. Engineering Technician post probily.
    BUT the only thing on my mind is my little boy. hes 7 months old and hes my world. leaving the girl freind behind is going to be easy as we have just split up so thats made this dicision abit easier.

is there any fathers to a young one on here that can give me abit of advice?
    how oftern will i be able to see him?
    im really serios about this, but do you guys think in my situation should i just forget about the hole thing?
    how do you guys cope with it?

2. Right mate first off the tough bit. If you join the RN you will be away, you have to accept that. As an ET you will be in the Pompy area for training so as long as you live close to there getting home to see your son won't be a problem. Expect to be duty at least 1 weekend in 4, after training that is when your problems will kick in, ships deploy for months at a time and you will then be in the same boat as the rest of the lads so you will either live with it or put your notice in, remembering ROS of course.

Now on to your horrible spelling and grammer, if you have any chance of joining the Senior Service you will have to do a lot better than that. If this is the best you can do then can I suggest you "just forget the hole thing"
  3. Hi Paolo

Welcome to Rum Ration!

You've posted in the Newbies forum, which is perfect!

Which of the Engineering jobs interests you most?

How old are you by the way?

How often you can see him will depend on the particular need the Navy has for you at any given time. If you are serving on board a ship, it is highly likely that you will be away at some point for weeks or months, but that doesn't mean you can't keep in touch with him while you are away.

I see no reason why you shouldn't have a go at this - what do you think?
  4. hi m8 thnx for the reply.
    im 22 on the 12th. and as for what sort of job id like to do im not sure of that just yet. somthing mechanical and hands on as thats what im good at.

how often are you away for months? weeks i can deal with.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Wise words :wink:
  6. I wouldn't worry about it too much, fella - you'll be a granddad by the time you get into the mob on the current waiting times. :wink:
  7. NS. Look at OP mate. Was a direct quote.

Cheers anyway
  8. yer my spellings not good, it never has been. dyslexic or some thing. is that going to be a problem?
    anyway if i wont this bad enough il studey hard to sort it out
  9. "study"
    getting better all ready
  10. To keep it dead simple as I have no idea where you live, is your son with you etc...

Your ET training will be at HMS Collingwood, once you complete basic training at HMS Raleigh (Torpoint in Cornwall). Once you arrive at Collingwood you will then conduct your ET training (I have no idea how long for) and once you complete your training you will be drafted to a ship. How long you then spend away from home will depend on that particular ships programme. It could be weeks, it could be months, or it may even be alongside in baseport for a while as well.

If you do not live local to any of the Naval Bases or training establishments, then you will be looking at becoming a 'weekend warrior' which entails you living on the ship or establishment all week (Mon-Thu) and then going home Fri-Sun, duties depending. Obviously if the ship is deployed (away from baseport) then you will not be able to travel home for obvious reasons.

I would get yourself down to your local AFCO (Careers Office) and see what they can tell you more specific to your own personal life.

All said and done, don't expect to be at home too much and this may prove too much for you with the lad so young.

Good luck. :)

11. ok, right. first off iv got to apologize for my ignorance but the whole "weekend warrior" thing, peaple do that? so what your saying is that when docked you can go home for the week end but when you set off your off for as long as it takes?

how long can you be docked for?

oh, im in brighton and no i dont live with him
  12. Basically dude, if you don't live near enough to travel home every night you're not duty when alongside in base port then like most you will go home at the weekends. If you lived in Portsmouth and was based in Portsmouth and alongside in Portsmouth for example you could if not duty go home every night after work finishes.
  13. Paolo,

Yes many young sailors do the 'weekend warrior' thing and have done for years, I was one of them for many years. You get used to it and the 'ringpull express' becomes your friend if you do not have a car. (Most of us didn't in the 70's/80's)

Unless you are duty at weekends, the time is your own basically. You can either stay aboard (lower deck leave as we used to call it) or go home, visit friends. Just make sure you are back aboard by the time leave expires, normally 0745, Monday for Junior Rates.
  14. ok thnx brigham600 im starting to make much more sence of this now.
    by "duty" do you meen on born at sea?
  15. Duty as in, you can't leave the ship as you have a responsiblity such as fire fighting or on the gangway etc.
  16. Being duty means you are NOT allowed to leave the ship or establishment for the 24 hour period of your duty, so no leave I am afraid. Don't ask about duties please as there are too many different things you have to do, depending on your branch and rank.

Everyone does duties with the exception of the Senior Officers.
  17. hello all, a quick one i hope someone can help with, sticking with the families topic.. when you are posted/drafted to a ship.. how long is it for? would you be put in pompey say for 3 years with the same ship guaranteed? how long would you be in the same place for and what are the chance of always staying at that same base? always wondered this one as to how easy/hard it is to settle down.. or try to..

Many thanks, fish
  18. All I have to say is texting has alot to answer for.
  19. Hello mate,

It will depend on your preferences as to where you are drafted and how your own circumstances change during your time in the Navy.

Generally, people do get go to an area they have asked for, ie: Portsmouth, Devonport, Faslane etc. But it is not guarenteed, so don't get all huffy if you don't get what you want (except if you are a CPO Wren) :)

Three years is an average draft on most ships as a Junior Rating, but this again can change and it can be longer or shorter depending on the billet (job) and the ships needs.

Hope that has helped you for now.
  20. ah! thank you cheers buddy