new guy looking for some advice & opinions about previous experience for SG2 role

Discussion in 'RFA' started by watercooled76, Jan 2, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi ,
    I'm currently waiting for my interview in February.
    I have a freight RO/RO ferry background in loading planning/ supervision.
    honestly do you guys think my skills & experience would be transferable. ( I was shore based )
    i used to plan the load with deck weights out of gauge loads and plan hazardous stowage . then locate all the equipment unaccompanied rigid trucks cars articulated trucks and dropped articulated trailers .

any advice and opinions would be appreciated pm me i would be happy to hear from you

kind Regards

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. Transferable to the Chief Mate's job, not an SG2.
  3. thanks for the info . :)
  4. Have you considered applying for a cadetship?
  5. one of the submarine officer roles is trimming officer, where he has to calculate all stores and fluids onboard so the boat is close to a known trim when it first dives, they quite often get it wrong, especially when comming out of refit and the dockyard are tons of balast light.
  6. R F A sumo.... they dont have subs :-D
  7. I have considered applying for a cadetship but most employers don't want to know because i'm 35.
    I went to the south tine-side open day last year and because i don't have A levels and am not fresh out of school the sponsor employers virtually all said no. even with the likes of function 9 Imdg cert (shore based)
    The RFA were the only ones to show interest I was advised to go for sg2

I just want a job that could become a career. ill try and work my way up if i have to
  8. i used to have to plan and load the ferries to help adjust trim for bad weather . was a bit of a nightmare loading the heavy stuff first or to the last to the last for the ships .
    2 ships had the superstructure at the bow and 2 were aft
    trying to redo your load plan halfway through the 3 hour turnaround was not fun
  9. He was after advice so I gave it, don’t be a target become a submariner, you know it makes sense?
    His skills could be transferable, just what out for store Beer. :sign7:
  10. I was being sarcastic old chum

Low humour but humour all the same