new guy looking for some advice & opinions about previous experience for SG2 role

Hi ,
I'm currently waiting for my interview in February.
I have a freight RO/RO ferry background in loading planning/ supervision.
honestly do you guys think my skills & experience would be transferable. ( I was shore based )
i used to plan the load with deck weights out of gauge loads and plan hazardous stowage . then locate all the equipment unaccompanied rigid trucks cars articulated trucks and dropped articulated trailers .

any advice and opinions would be appreciated pm me i would be happy to hear from you

kind Regards

Simon

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
one of the submarine officer roles is trimming officer, where he has to calculate all stores and fluids onboard so the boat is close to a known trim when it first dives, they quite often get it wrong, especially when comming out of refit and the dockyard are tons of balast light.

I have considered applying for a cadetship but most employers don't want to know because i'm 35.
I went to the south tine-side open day last year and because i don't have A levels and am not fresh out of school the sponsor employers virtually all said no. even with the likes of function 9 Imdg cert (shore based)
The RFA were the only ones to show interest I was advised to go for sg2

I just want a job that could become a career. ill try and work my way up if i have to

i used to have to plan and load the ferries to help adjust trim for bad weather . was a bit of a nightmare loading the heavy stuff first or to the last to the last for the ships .
2 ships had the superstructure at the bow and 2 were aft
trying to redo your load plan halfway through the 3 hour turnaround was not fun

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Land Ops 0
AaronP The Fleet Air Arm 19