New guy here... looking at being an AET.

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by AaronP, Oct 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

Well, my dad has been an aircraft engineer for the past 35 odd years, both mechanical and avionics, a civy though.

My step brother recently passed out as a Marine.

So, i was looking at becoming an AET as its a chance to get into the trade and Navy.

Was hoping to hear peoples experiences, plus's, negetives if there is any. Just peoples general opinions.

Im off to the careers office tomorrow to have a chat with someone.

:)

-Aaron

2. just remember 8 about till you die!

3. Any constructive replys out there?

4. not a bad life as a AEM or AET as they are called now. As with any job take the good with the bad and piss off all the fisheads who hate WAFU's as were all good looking bastards (stand by for abuse from the seaman branch). Good range of aircraft to work on and now foundation degree if you make it to the dizzy heights of PO/CPO. So have fun and apply

5. Such a shame you couldn't have hung around a while longer matey, we could have warned you off about being like your father. :( No you dickwad, I don't mean steer away from AEM, I just meant, well, be a real sailor. Like anything but an AEM. :lol:

6. Oohhh, you make me fcuking angry. Name one of the twats, and don't for goodness sake say a Harrier. Bet your into things like, oh, I don't know. How about a Lynx, or the Merlin.

Aircraft, I don't think so. The Seahawk left the Navy years ago and it could do a far better job than any of this modern siht, in fact the Gannet was a low and slow, but that was a genuine article in its days. Whatever happened to 'think ahead and prepare for the future'. Probably got lost in the past, along with a million other things and fat fcuking politicians who died of over payment.

Sorry wings, bit shtity tonight. :(

7. ooooooohhh DABS did we get out of the wrong side of bed today. TUT TUT obviously a failed steward!!

8. 8 hours on 8 off weither at sea or shore!!!! think hard!

9. There's such a thing? :eek:

10. My God id have given my right arm for 8 on 8 off

11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Bisley wrote

It's still a fcuking HND-a foundation for a degree-if the candidate is up to it.

higthepig wrote

Was it 'deployment about' in your day?

12. Are just been reliably informed from the man in the know. Failed steward branch does exist. Called Regulating branch :lol: soory as they like to be called now Naval Service policemen 8O

14. :D Fleet Air Arm, best kept secret about the RN. 21 years and only 4 years Sea Time, most of that spent front line stuck on an air station or swaning of to the States by air.

Now stuck in East Midlands working with the Crabs. Fluffy uniforms and top food. :D

All I can say is!!!!

YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCE WHEN YOU CHOOSE YOUR BRANCH!!!!!!

15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Nothing 'glorified' about it Bisley. It's just an HND, more than is really required by hands on maintainers. CDF, supervision and a RATS toolkit is more important.

16. couldnt agree more JointForceHarrier, 16 years Harrier (all true blue- never the other barstewards) and only 6 years on me LSSB. neighbour two doors down has done 6 years as a chef just got his hook and already up to 5 years. makes him sick when the wafus in the street tell him the truths.

as they say at all careers offices join the navy son and you can fix aircraft - never do they say join the navy and you can iron an officers shirt, wipe his plate clean, peel spuds or give out items of stores with the biggest sulk on your face because you cant go upstairs.

8 on 8 off - dont make me laugh we where always going to night fliers and that was after a few beers in the mess

17. 4 years JHF, 21 years and 6 days, only 2 on a pussers ship you old seadog you. Mind you I have had to put up with loads of utterly utterly useless crabs and and the poorly classified REME "craftsmen".

18. What with all the bitching this guy came here for some constructive comments ........ try here mate you might get something http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/

19. Aaron, from my understanding you need to be quite academically bright to gain fast promotion if that is what you are after, In my day Late 80`s on course it was dogwatch sports, Brickwoods, Rugby etc, some of my mates on POAET`s course AND LAET`s course do dogwatch academic instruction to pass the course, extra Maths and Physics. No longer weeks and weeks of tin bashing for the Grubbers.
    Thus in theory you will be a clever B*stard, however practically you will struggle to join to bits of metal together. If thats what the Navy wants thats fine.
    Advice start an A level maths course or MST121 with the Open University it will give you an overview of what to expect (and will be harder than AET course material) GCSE physics or OU course. AET course will be then alot easier for you and you will give yourself a better crack at Fastrack promotion if you so desire.