New forces memorial in Staffs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Karma, Oct 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC report

The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales are attending the dedication of the new national Armed Forces Memorial.
    The £6m stone circle in Alrewas, Staffordshire, bears the names of 16,000 service personnel who have died since World War II.
  2. Not open until 29th I think,will pay it a visit asap as I live in Staffs.
    Seems to be based on the lines of the Vietnam one in Washington but in Portland stone not black marble.
    About time we had one.
  3. What a mammoth cutting short of lives it represents. Each name a family is left grieving.

Thank F**k we get a memorial at last.
  4. I too will have to go and visit the new memorial, it looks stunning and I think it is a fitting tribute to those who have lost their lives in the service of their

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Includes names of people who are still deep in the jungles of Malaya or Borneo, or at the bottom of the sea. Also RN personnel lost on service with other navies, e.g. in HMAS Voyager. Many RRs will know a name or two. One can Google to get an email address so as to check up that a particular name is listed.
  6. Wonderful to see and it must be hard for some posters on here to accept that this government sanctioned it.
  7. A wonderful way of showing our respect to fallen comrades

I will be visiting this when I next go visit the in laws up that end of the world
  8. About time too.
    The only pity is the walls at present devoid of names.
    It must be a place of enormous peace and reflection - well done all concerned.
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

A reminder that there will be a programme on BBC1 around the 4th of November called "In loving memory." Which covers the history of the making of the memorial and contains interviews with people affected by losing loved ones in the Services.
    Its also worth remembering that the much maligned Daily Mail played a big part in getting the money to put the memorial together.
  10. janner

Not a subject for politics I would have thought
  11. Oh Fink! Get off your political high horse and join the rest of us in praising a good thing!

This memorial was not supported by government until the press caused a stink about funding it properly. However, it looks as appropriate as the memorials on the European mainland and we shall certainly visit soon.
  12. :knob:
  13. Part of your personal details? =)
  14. Finknottle
    Out of order Finks.
    It makes no difference who built it, or sanctioned it. Its what it stands for.
  15. Have to agree, this is NO time for political point scoring. This memorial is about remembering those who have lost their lives in the service of their country, not about what "here today, gone tomorrow" politician signed the chitty!
  16. 2 of my friends names are written on one of those walls. I find you political postureing insulting. I stand by my original comment!
  17. Fantastic to see at last (despite Fink's political gesturing - WERE you really a serviceman fink?)

The only thing that saddens me is it's location - it should have been Hyde Park or somewhere like that - people need to see it and REMEMBER! It will soon be forgotten out ther in the wilds! Peaceful? yes? but most did not die peacefully; but do need remembering because they did not die selfishly (and I have friends names on those walls to, as do many on here, nuff said!)
  18. janner

I believe that I read somewhere that idea was that it should be in the centre of the country.
  19. I agree with its location. It was wanted as close to the centre of the country as possible and I think that is fair enough. Our servicemen come from all parts of the country, not just London and it is about time we lost the London-centric attitude in this country.

From the pictures on the news it looks a fabulous memorial and I intend to visit it as soon as I get the chance.
  20. Here, here! Plus you can guarantee if it was somewhere in London, they'd be charging £25 to get in.....