New fella needing advice

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by PinkPanther, Mar 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello fellas. I'm in the process of joining the Submarine Fleet. I'm an older guy, 35. I've passed the aptitude test, the interview, the medial and the fitness test and I'm waiting for a formal offer through the post.

I've read quite a lot of posts here and it's helped me greatly. I've been in two minds about the whole thing from the start but I'm pretty convinced now I'm doing the right thing.

Anyway. I've got one niggling question that I hope someone can answer for me. During my medical the doc told me that I have borderline hearing, just acceptable and no more. He really stressed this.
    Can anyone tell me, is there further hearing tests in phases 1 2 and 3? How important is good hearing in the Submarine Fleet? What would happen if I failed a further hearing test? I've applied as a Personnel Logistician so I don't think having great hearing would be a priority anyway.

It's the only thing holding me back. If I go to Raleigh I'll be giving up my current job that I might not get back if things go wrong.

All replys welcome. Thanks

2. Hi, my eyes are just on borderline according to the optician (They're suppose to be getting better though) But if I did have to re-take an eye test and failed I presume i'd get medically discharged. I may be wrong but that's what i've heard. Just dont think about these things and go for it, no point worrying.

3. You are waiting an offer thru the post?
    Whats all that about?
    An apptitude test for a submariner?
    Whats all that about?
    35 and about to join boats? Why?
    Yer 'aving a laugh ain't yer?

4. Yes Poly, there's an entrance exam for the RN and the max age for entry is 37. Shocked?

5. You are waiting an offer thru the post?
    Whats all that about?
    An apptitude test for a submariner?
    Whats all that about?
    35 and about to join boats? Why?
    Yer 'aving a laugh ain't yer?

Yip, 35 and wanting a job that I can rely on for the remainder of my working life. I don't know if you've been watching the news lately but this counrty is fecked. Civillian life's not all it's cracked up to be.

6. Speak up caller ,you are connected.

7. You will get re-tested at Raleigh I believe but supermario, NS and Drakey will probably tell you more. Being hard of hearing tends to be a pre-req for most of the writers, sorry Logs Pers, I've met. :lol:

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Maybe they'll draft you together, then one can do the looking and the other the listening, a variation on the Reggies reading and writing in pairs. :lol:

9. Hi fella, I'm 32 and just started my phase two training so it can be done!
    My eyesight is not great but up to standard.
    One lad on my course failed his hearing test at Raleigh but has gone onto a skimmers course and is loving it so don't give up.

10. Yes OK so I took a couple of exams etc to join the mob agreed but an aptitude test to be a submariner ehh?
    I volunteered I went to Dolphin did my Part 1 course passed did the SETT passed did my greenie training (part 2 training) past went to sea did Part 3 passed hey ho instant submariner!!
    At 35 I had done 19 years in the mob and was gladly, thinking and getting myself ready to become a 'strawberry mivvy'

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

brilliant :lol:

12. Yes OK so I took a couple of exams etc to join the mob agreed but an aptitude test to be a submariner ehh?

Yeah, what's what I meant - the entrance exam to the navy. Not an aptitude test for submarines.

Bloody hell, your an unfriendly **** arn't ya. I hope they're not all like you or I'll not last two ******* minutes.

13. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until the Dog-watchmen arrive.

14. Never volunteer for anything, I became a submariner when drafty tapped me on the shoulder and told me to fcuk to Dolphin.

15. Yea but when I went into boats they only took volunteers!!

16. You had better grow a thick skin mate, if you are to be a scribe. If a Submariners pay is fecked you will know all about it wether its your fault or not.

17. Not unfriendly, just challenging. You will have to win their trust, that's part of the way of things, but I might add it is an effort well worth making.

18. Sure was tough on HOLLAND, wasn't it........... :D :D :D :D