New Dress Code at HMS Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Feb 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

All those entering Naval Service following a pre-entry brief at your AFCO from Monday 04 February 2008 onwards the following dress codes will apply:

In order to instill in recruits a sense of personal pride and to provide a tangible indication that they are joining a military force, which expects a certain standard of dress and bearing, all new recruits are to join HMS RALEIGH dressed according to the following criteria:

• Males – To wear shirt with collar attached, tie, trousers (not jeans) and shoes.
    • Females – Blouse, trousers or skirt (minimum knee length) and shoes.

On a number of occasions during Phase One training recruits proceed ashore in civilian attire and are therefore in the public eye. Insisting upon the above standards of dress upon joining will ensure that the young Naval Ratings have appropriate smart clothes to change into. It will also remove the current disparity between the standards of dress required by different services.

The dress codes do not apply to those who have already had their entry brief, only those briefed from this Monday onwards.
  2. Quite reasonable I think. We need to maintain all the positive PR we can get these days.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Have to say, I agree with it too.

Hopefully, no-one will link the invasion of Iraq with this new directive. :thumright:

(Having said that, apparently you get a free suit if you go too near Iran.)
  4. ASDA will be doing a roaring trade on their £20 polyester suits from next week then !

Does this mean they have to wear a suit or smart clothing when going ashore then?
  5. I hope they do. :afro:
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Not sure with regard rig ashore to be honest, but I still think it's correct that those proceeding ashore are inspected as it sets a standard.

Last time in the Falklands ALL the Ghurkas wore suits when off duty, regardless of the fact that they were just in the NAAFI canteen at MPA. Possibly that's stretching it a bit with regard regulations, but nevertheless impressive. The RM band ALWAYS wear suits when not in uniform traveling to/from their gigs.

Most passing out from Raleigh complain it wasn't as strict as they'd hoped, doubtless there will be those that complain bitterly whilst forgetting they had to wear (in most cases) a uniform at school also. Many young people crave structure, rules & discipline, but fail to find it & lose direction.
  7. Inspections at the Guardroom CTC '79/80, (So really current and appropriate!), no shiney shoes, razor sharp creases in your trousers and shirt with shore leave.
    "Go back and turn the iron on before you try pressing your strides." Oh how we laughed.
  8. Says it all that it has to be said, really. Your working class oiks always knew that one went for an interview in their best clobber .. "Collar, cuffs and shoes" ... "Shoes maketh the man" and all that.

Seriously though, I think MoD advising people how to dress for an interview does nothing but infantalise the potential recruit even further. The feckers know how to dress for an interview, so stop mommy coddling them; those that don't have never been to school.

Edited to say I've written a right load of old bollocks here! Lord knows why I thought it was advice about dressing for interviews. :w00t:
  9. I don't read this as interview, but actually starting training. I thought that CTCRM already had this requirement?
  10. Although there are plenty of threads around this section with people asking waht they should wear to an interview :p

Point taken though harry.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ooh heck!

Don't want to get into an argument with Harry (I always lose!).

But you are right we do advise smart dress code for interview, merely because it's a job interview like any other.

The irony of this new dress code is actually because Royal Marines DO wear shirt & tie when starting Recruit Training & the mob has decided that Royal has been correct all along!
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It would have been helpful if they had included instruction of the size and nature of recepticle to be used to carry everything in :dwarf:
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Mate, I'm just waiting for the next batch of threads entitled:

"Will my pink tie clash with a beige suite?"

"Why can't girls join in miniskirts if they want to?"

"Can I wear my tie like I do in Skool with a big daft knot & the wide dangly bit only 3" long?"

"I can't do a windsor knot- is a "Klippon" acceptable?"
  14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I thought this was the new dress code for trainees at Raleigh, not BRNC! 8O :wink:
  15. I find this new directive bemusing and totally unnecessary.
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

TFS: Well, unless you're a new recruit I cannot see why it's an issue... :?
  17. I think its a great idea. Someone once said to me that what you wear is your armour against the world. I am sure you would be very dissappointed if you came to see me as your solicitor and I was wearing jeans and a t shirt.

SPB this is not your excuse to put up that phot of the bint in a wig with a gavel wearing nothing but a gown and stockings and sussies.
  18. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to make a comment like everyone else. Or is it because mine was the first to be negative?
  19. Ninja, Karma, et al My mistake, I got the wrong end of the stick completely! :dwarf:

Edited to point out that I have added a humble comment to my original rant about telling people how to dress for interview. I don't think I was sound of mind last night :-\\\\
  20. Following on from my comments on the "Phase 2" thread which i'm totally threaders and bemused many buttons should be on the front of my shirt?? Do i get breakfast in bed and my jimjams folded neatly prior to the nice PO coming round to say good morning?? Can i get my shoes sent out for polishing by some wallah somewhere??