New Dam Busters Film

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by imom1406, Aug 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Peter Jackson is to re-make the Dam Busters Film....apparently Mel Gibson had the rights ......god knows how he would corrupt history this time (Remember Bravheart!?!?!).

So my question is, what politically correct name will they use for Guy Gibsons dog.....'cos it won't be Nigger!!

2. They'll probably write the dog out of history or never mention its name ( i.e. "Gibson's Dog" in the credits).

I just wonder if even the Lancaster bomber with roundells on the side will make the final cut and whether the Yanks can resist the temptation to cast one of their own as Gibson with a token Brit in the role of mad-scientist Barnes Wallis - since it just wouldn't work with Doc Brown (Back to the Future).

(BTW. I realise that Jackson is a Kiwi, but I bet its American money)

3. Maybe they could call the dog Oprah!

4. Sorry i'm going straight to hell for that one...consider it withdrawn!!

5. Frost only has the book rights....trust me , i see a hollywood history job being done on this!!

6. I think you are hoping for a bit too much there especially if Hollywood get anywhere near it.....I am expecting Samuel L Jackson for Guy Gibson and Quentin Tarantino for the mad professor!!

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

And a squadron of B-52 bombers instead of Lancasters .... any suggestions on how the weapon system will be portrayed? After all, a spinning oil drum could never be believable to an American audience - its just too primitive to work.

8. The bomb will be fashioned (A-Team style) from a melted Enigma machine captured by the americans, designed by Russell Crow (a beautiful mind) delivered to target by harry Connick JR flying the memphis belle.

9. How about laser guided bouncing bombs..with a SEAL team in the hills above laser painting the dams..!!

10. That's where Steven Segal comes into it!!

11. With the size and shape of him these days he could always play the part of the bouncing bomb. The American audience would believe it if the bombers delivered oil-drum shaped bouncing Steven Segals that bounced along the water and blew up the dams using only his legendary karate skills (a possibly a meat cleaver for the Moehne).

12. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

So a meat cleaver, that would imply that he's a cook; perhaps he could be the cook from the Officers Mess at Scampton who while arranging the catering for the WingCo's party got involved in a plot by international terrorists to highjack the squadron. First of all he foils the plot then proceeds with the dams' destruction as you described.

13. No, keep it. Great comment and made me chuckle - a lot. :lol:

Back to the film.

Of course, the Germans would have to be portrayed as Mad Mullahs or the like to thus enable the Yanks to hate them enough. Armand Asanti could be the 'Hitler' type character then. They would also have to have inferior weapons as well. After all, Uncle Sam is the best. :oops: 8O

My money would be on Ben Afleck to play Guy Gibson. After all, he singly handedly won the Battle of Britain in 'Pearl Harbour'.

Barnes Wallis could be played by Christopher Walken as he can 'off the wall' at times.

14. Yeah but where are you going to put the drug crazed yardies and their plot to poison native american indian fishing grounds with an oil rig as well as a kidnapped CIA agent and his rogue boss who have highjacked the USS Nimitz with a plan to crash it into the Statue of Liberty!!!!

With a plot like that I cant see Steven getting involved for anything less than $10 million dollars and a ponytail extension!

15. You could keep the dog's name if Gibson was played by Samual L Jackson, 'cos then it would be seen as street slang....problem solved!!

16. How can you replace Richard Todd as Guy Gibson .... not many have his CV

" Todd trained for a potential military career at Sandhurst.Then spent six years' service in World War II, first as an officer in the Yorkshire Light Infantry, then as a paratrooper with the the 7th Battalion (LI) The Parachute Regiment. Todd served with distinction and on D-Day this Battalion made contact with Major Howard at the Orne Bridge now called Pegasus Bridge. Todd was the officer who made contact. In the Darryl F. Zanuck's D-Day recreation The Longest Day (1962) he played Major Howard and the meeting with Todd was one scene. In D Day The 6th of June (1956) he played the commander of his Battalion in the filming of the same scene.

Can't see some faggotty Hollywood hero doing that!!

17. Alec Guinness (Star Wars) operated a British Royal Navy landing craft on D-Day.

James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) landed in Normandy with the U.S. Army on D-Day.

Donald Pleasance (The Great Escape) really was a R.A.F. pilot who was shot down, held prisoner and tortured by the Germans.

David Niven was a Sandhurst graduate and Lt. Colonel of the British Commandos in Normandy.

James Stewart flew 20 missions as a B-24 pilot in Europe.

Clark Gable (Mega-Movie Star when war broke out) was a waist gunner flying missions on a B-17 in Europe.

Charlton Heston was an Army Air Corps Sergeant in Kodiak.

Earnest Borgnine was a U.S. Navy Gunners Mate 1935-1945.

Charles Durning was a U.S. Army Ranger at Normandy.

Charles Bronson was a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps.

George C. Scott was a U.S. Marine.

Eddie Albert (Green Acres TV) was awarded a Bronze Star for his heroic action as a U.S. Naval officer aiding Marines at the horrific battle on the island of Tarawa in the Pacific Nov.1943.

Brian Keith served as a Marine rear gunner in several actions against the Japanese on Rabal in the Pacific.

Lee Marvin was a marine on Saipan when he was wounded.

John Russell was a Marine on Guadalcanal.

Robert Ryan was a U.S. Marine who served with the O.S.S. in Yugoslavia.

Tyrone Power (an established movie star when Pearl Harbor was bombed) joined the Marines, was a pilot flying supplies into, and wounded Marines out of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Audie Murphy, little guy from Texas, Most decorated serviceman of WWII.

Glenn Miller, Captain United States Air Force, was killed while flying to an engagement in England. Recent evidence shows that his plane accidentally flew into area where British Lancaster Bombers were jettisoning their bomb loads. His aircraft was struck and destroyed

18. Alec Guinness (Star Wars) operated a British Royal Navy landing craft on D-Day.

James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) landed in Normandy with the U.S. Army on D-Day.

Donald Pleasance (The Great Escape) really was a R.A.F. pilot who was shot down, held prisoner and tortured by the Germans.

David Niven was a Sandhurst graduate and Lt. Colonel of the British Commandos in Normandy.

James Stewart flew 20 missions as a B-24 pilot in Europe.

Clark Gable (Mega-Movie Star when war broke out) was a waist gunner flying missions on a B-17 in Europe.

Charlton Heston was an Army Air Corps Sergeant in Kodiak.

Earnest Borgnine was a U.S. Navy Gunners Mate 1935-1945.

Charles Durning was a U.S. Army Ranger at Normandy.

Charles Bronson was a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps.

George C. Scott was a U.S. Marine.

Eddie Albert (Green Acres TV) was awarded a Bronze Star for his heroic action as a U.S. Naval officer aiding Marines at the horrific battle on the island of Tarawa in the Pacific Nov.1943.

Brian Keith served as a Marine rear gunner in several actions against the Japanese on Rabal in the Pacific.

Lee Marvin was a marine on Saipan when he was wounded.

John Russell was a Marine on Guadalcanal.

Robert Ryan was a U.S. Marine who served with the O.S.S. in Yugoslavia.

Tyrone Power (an established movie star when Pearl Harbor was bombed) joined the Marines, was a pilot flying supplies into, and wounded Marines out of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Audie Murphy, little guy from Texas, Most decorated serviceman of WWII.

Glenn Miller, Captain United States Air Force, was killed while flying to an engagement in England. Recent evidence shows that his plane accidentally flew into area where British Lancaster Bombers were jettisoning their bomb loads. His aircraft was struck and destroyed

19. Glen Ford, passed away yesterday, Rear Admiral USNR. I think James Stewart made one star as well.

As for following in Richard Todd's footsteps how about James Blunt? Perhaps he could act better than he sings.

Having said that most of the ex crabs I work with are real primadonnas and would fancy their chances in an audition.