New Criteria: Operational Medals Southern Gulf.

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by hookyh, Oct 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I've heard a few people questioning whether the RNR are now able to put in for the OSM for work done in the southern gulf region I thought I'd ask the question - and the answer is still an almighty 'whack round the face - NO!!!'.

Although not mentioned in any documents available online that I can find SPVA and the medals office say that Seaman reserves deployed to protect ships alongside in places such as Dubai, Bahrain and Oman (which are included in the operational area for Veritas etc..) are classed as being 'at-sea', even if moored alongside, not in the places they were specifically sent to to protect vessels, and are therefore STILL not entitled to claim the medal for the operation under the new accumulated days criteria - although MTO branch still can for living in a hotel in aforementioned countries. (No offence MTO, but one rule for one and one for the other).

Surely people who give a level of commitment to an operation should be recognised if others are? Either it's a 'no-medal' operation or it is, but not one rule for one and one for another???????????????

All for the sake of saving a couple of quid in metal! And people wonder why morale is low!

This IS the final word - my SM dug out blind on my behalf to ascertain this information - and he really knows his stuff!

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What's the correlation between "morale" and "awards and decorations"?! Since when does "more medals = happier personnnel"? :shock: Or is this a case - yet again - of the Wavy Navy getting pissed on power, and feel that every deployment deserves another gong?

I hate this "I've got more medals than you" attitude; if you do a job and come out alive at the other end then that is great. If you get a gong out of it, then that's fairy snuff. But never expect it. Especially when it's not necessarily deserved.

I've been doing this job long enough to realise that you don't need to hear the chink of tin on your chest to get the job satisfaction (or recognition fro others) - the memories and the dits do that... :salut: :oops:

3. I'm not familiar with MTO, but my understanding is that no UKMCC staff get a gong.... I may be wrong though

4. Hookyh,

Awww. But never mind, the forthcoming NDM should bring some consolation to the blingless dipper-outers.

5. sgtpepperband

6. SgtPepperBand:

Totally agree with you on that - My only irritation is that it's ok for one group of people and not the other - so why the discrepancy? (And yes MTO DO get the medal. I know a few MTO guys who have it and they're specifically mentioned in the criteria as being eligible for it.

Why is one person's service more valuable than the other???? Any idea?

For the record I'm not sure anyone should be getting medals for serving in such a 'safe' area.

7. I personally can't believe that they're still issuing a medal for Op TELIC if you spend 30 days continuous (or 45 days accumulated) over the 28th parallel. There's nothing happening up there to warrant a medal. If you get a medal for that then why not give a medal for those who go on the south atlantic patrol. I've seen people (both RN and RNR) who've transferred from one ship to another just to qualify for the medal.

Personally i think i'd feel a fraud if i recieved a medal just for spending the designated time over the 28th parallel unless there was shooting going on.

Edited to add: The same applies to any branch deployed to any area where the danger is no worse than what you'd find on the streets in pompy, especially those staying in hotels!!!

8. Aah - here we go! Why bother being a moderator if all you do is be a knob about things??

Just left you a serious reply agreeing with some of what you just said, so why be a tw*t about it????? (Or is that the only reason you're on here????)

9. sgtpepperband

Hookyh: Fairy snuff. But as I previously stated, if you get one then fine. If not, then suck it up... :cry: :lol:

Trehorn: Wot 'e zed... :thumbleft:

10. Agree with you once again SgtPepper.

For the record the operational medals I have were earned the right way. My post was intended to inform those who were questioning and highlight the discrepancy - nothing more - honest! (Lol).

11. Just as a P.S. to this one. there is a correlation.

If one person's service is shown to be valued and another's isn't, then it does create a morale issue - wouldn't you agree?

12. sgtpepperband

No.

Next..!!

13. Lol! Admire your honesty!!

14. By the way - the comment about the memories and dits is spot on!

15. sgtpepperband

Hookyh: I know my comments may seem heartless to you but I am typing them with my tongue plented firmly in my cheek. However my final - and only serious - comment on this is that somebody on a far higher Daily Rate of Pay than me has made a decision about awards and decorations; who gets what and when. I never assume anything about getting some recognition (metallic or otherwise) for the work I have done - I treat it much like a lottery: if someone else gets a gong and I don't, then I don't feel too bothered about it. Life in a blue/green one... :wink:

16. What medal is this? OSM Iraq is for the area nominated, and it's never been in the "southern Gulf". None of the countries you mentioned ever qualified for the OSM, so why are you dripping?

17. Wait, so if I do a posting you mean to say I won't get showered in medals, my dreams are shattered :(

(On a side note, I really think they should have a theatre medal for a Friday night in Guildhall walk...)

18. You ain't supposed to like it, just live with it.
    CSM for Malaysia and Borneo wer both issued to Ships in Area. Not a lot of shooting going on,.. honest.
    The squaddies and Booties ashore were actually earning theirs. If you want the CSM (with bar South Arabia ) you can have mine, I wont take PayPal though :D

And just a tad on the end, there has to be a cut off somewhere. There were blokes arriving in both Terror (days after the last thirty qualifiers had started) and Sheba who did not get jack.
    Life in a blue suit. :twisted:

19. If you know what you have done, do you need to get awarded for it ?

20. If it involves work well yes

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ :D