Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Carriers

ronalder

Lantern Swinger
Let's suppose for a few moments that this current government is serious about the two new carriers. Go back to our last proper ones ie. Ark Royal, Victorious etc. Look at the flight decks, with those nasty wires, catapults, jet blast deflectors and all the other lovely things for a poor flight deck party to avoid. Who is going to train the future crews to risk life and limb getting the aircraft off at decent rate? With all due respect to the flight deck parties on our three babies, who do a good job, there aren't any people left who served on the last proper carriers (I stand correction if there are any left) there aren't any experienced people to do the intense training that will be necessary to get back to the standards we had in the 50's 60' 70's. From what I read on the various forums in RR all instruction is carried out nowadays by civilian staff, which fills my soul with wonder and my heart with fright. Once upon a time we were proud to show the USN how to operate carriers, now I fear that we will have to go crawling to them to teach us how to do what we once taught everyone else. Can anyone cheer me up before I dive back into the Rum Barrel?
Hopeful for an optimistic response---Very Old ex-Wafu
 

slim

War Hero
I'm certain that there must be more than a few old senior rate handlers who served in the Ark who are still active and fit enough to train a new generation of handlers.
In 1976 Ark Royals procedures were so well rehearsed that we managed to launch three aircraft in the time it took the Nimitze to launch two. Considering that they had three catapults to our two quite a feat.
However as the years roll on there are going to be fewer and fewer experienced guys to pass on the much needed skills.
Hope the new carriers come quickly
 

dustyjack

Lantern Swinger
This of course begs the question of how the flight deck crews were trained for the first of the carriers to be fitted with catapults - I guess it was largely trial and error. Somehow I can't see that happening these days as the MoD will be scared stiff of being sued for the errors. The RN has a long tradition of innovation, so re-inventing the wheel should be simple!
 

slim

War Hero
dustyjack said:
This of course begs the question of how the flight deck crews were trained for the first of the carriers to be fitted with catapults - I guess it was largely trial and error. Somehow I can't see that happening these days as the MoD will be scared stiff of being sued for the errors. The RN has a long tradition of innovation, so re-inventing the wheel should be simple!

I think that we had all better hope that the RN has kept its collection of training films.
 

grefs

Lantern Swinger
[I think that we had all better hope that the RN has kept its collection of training films.]

Na, they were sold on ebay.
 

dustyjack

Lantern Swinger
davy_longshanks said:
If we ever get two carriers of the size mentioned I'll eat my cap. On Horseguards Parade. Naked. With ketchup.
I saw a computer generated image of one of the carriers alongside in Pompey a couple of weeks ago on the Pompey News website. It was in colour and everything so it must be true - well except the being alongside in Pompey of course :)
 

stumpy

War Hero
Remember, that the planned new aircraft will, hopefully, be the short take off vertical landing version of the JCA/JSF, therefore will be very similar to operate on a fight deck as a harrier. This might be one reason why this version was chosen over the USN one, ie: simpler training for flight deck crews.
 

ronalder

Lantern Swinger
higthepig said:
They could always ask me and Roofrat to sign on again.

Hig, My best respect to you, but I don't think I or you could cope with all those ladders anymore, my knees is plumb wore out!
 

Benbow

Newbie
ronalder said:
From what I read on the various forums in RR all instruction is carried out nowadays by civilian staff, which fills my soul with wonder and my heart with fright.

Therein lies your answer, most of those civvies are actualy retired Chock Heads and many of them old enough to have served on a 'proper' deck.
 

clanky

War Hero
ronalder said:
Let's suppose for a few moments that this current government is serious about the two new carriers. Go back to our last proper ones ie. Ark Royal, Victorious etc. Look at the flight decks, with those nasty wires, catapults, jet blast deflectors and all the other lovely things for a poor flight deck party to avoid. Who is going to train the future crews to risk life and limb getting the aircraft off at decent rate? With all due respect to the flight deck parties on our three babies, who do a good job, there aren't any people left who served on the last proper carriers (I stand correction if there are any left) there aren't any experienced people to do the intense training that will be necessary to get back to the standards we had in the 50's 60' 70's. From what I read on the various forums in RR all instruction is carried out nowadays by civilian staff, which fills my soul with wonder and my heart with fright. Once upon a time we were proud to show the USN how to operate carriers, now I fear that we will have to go crawling to them to teach us how to do what we once taught everyone else. Can anyone cheer me up before I dive back into the Rum Barrel?
Hopeful for an optimistic response---Very Old ex-Wafu

I,m aware of at least one Wafu who has been sent on attachment with the USN in order to reacquire "proper" carrier skills and drills.
 

fishmiester

Banned
ronalder said:
higthepig said:
They could always ask me and Roofrat to sign on again.

Hig, My best respect to you, but I don't think I or you could cope with all those ladders anymore, my knees is plumb wore out!

Still serving, x6 CVS down the line and my knees are on the way out too!! :cry:
 

fido

MIA
higthepig said:
They could always ask me and Roofrat to sign on again.

And me too please (ex Albion (fixed and rotary wing), Victorious and Ark FDO). Still (but only just) still serving (RO) there's plenty of my ex Ark Flight Deck party still around - we could put up a scratch crew any time as long as NA Vickers ain't in it!

Rig the Mark 9 Barrier!
 

fido

MIA
fishmiester said:
ronalder said:
higthepig said:
They could always ask me and Roofrat to sign on again.

Hig, My best respect to you, but I don't think I or you could cope with all those ladders anymore, my knees is plumb wore out!

Still serving, x6 CVS down the line and my knees are on the way out too!! :cry:

You need an Arthroscopy - whips the old cartilage out a treat!
 

fido

MIA
davy_longshanks said:
If we ever get two carriers of the size mentioned I'll eat my cap. On Horseguards Parade. Naked. With ketchup.

If what I hear about the Household Cavalry is correct, you won't be the only one naked/with ketchup there.
 

fishmiester

Banned
fido said:
fishmiester said:
ronalder said:
higthepig said:
They could always ask me and Roofrat to sign on again.

Hig, My best respect to you, but I don't think I or you could cope with all those ladders anymore, my knees is plumb wore out!

Still serving, x6 CVS down the line and my knees are on the way out too!! :cry:

You need an Arthroscopy - whips the old cartilage out a treat!
Thanx. I shall add it to my letter to Santa
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Life on aircraft carriers and suitability assessment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Spot check crackdown on waste carriers in Broxbourne MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Spot-checks on Hertfordshire waste-carriers MoD News 0
soleil Bristol Live: "Why One Of The World's Biggest Aircraft Carriers - HMS Prince Of Wales - Is Linked To Bristol" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS News story: New ship to support the aircraft carriers arrives in UK MoD News 15
MoD_RSS News story: New head of alliance delivering nation’s Carriers amongst appointments welcomed... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New £48m contract for workboat fleet will support UK carriers and UK jobs,... MoD News 7
MoD_RSS News story: Shoes to seamines - 20,000 items recovered preparing for carriers’ new home MoD News 2
janner Carriers 1960's style. The Fleet Air Arm 0
D The Carriers Current Affairs 40
MoD_RSS News story: Crowsnest helicopter surveillance deal to protect carriers sustains 200... MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: New lights will guide the way for Queen Elizabeth Class carriers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Power facilities for new aircraft carriers near completion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dredging project paves way for new QEC Carriers to make their home in Portsmouth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Work to prepare for aircraft carriers well underway in Portsmouth MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: New surveillance system for future Royal Navy aircraft carriers revealed MoD News 0
BE19Pilot Essex-class 27C carriers The Fleet Air Arm 0
A Do R.A.F pilots get to land and operate from Aircraft Carriers? or is it only F.A.A? The Fleet Air Arm 23
fishhead Side paddle-Wheel Carriers History 2
soleil Western M. News: "Exhibition Shows Life On Board New Aircraft Carriers At Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 1
P Seaplanes on carriers History 2
soleil BBC 1 - The One Show - Wed, 18th Sep 2013 - Queen Elizabeth Class Carriers The Fleet 8
scouse Aircraft Carriers The Fleet Air Arm 198
trelawney126 Liverpool gets ready to welcome new Carriers The Fleet 1
soleil Herald: "Retiring: The Expert Who Parks Subs And Aircraft Carriers" Bases / Shore Est 0
scouse Navy carriers to have part time jets The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS Pilots prepare for landing on Royal Navy's new carriers MoD News 0
soleil Telegraph: "New Aircraft Carriers 'White Elephants With Dinky Toys On Top'" The Fleet 14
scouse 9 Carriers home for Christmas The Fleet Air Arm 7
soleil Avionics Intelligence: "RN Weather Experts Prepare For New Carriers With US Navy" The Fleet 1
P Carriers win F35 RAF Battle Current Affairs 12
scouse Carriers hull on route The Fleet Air Arm 5
L My father serves on WW 2 Aircraft carriers. Service Record wanted. History 2
Hermes_R12 QE Class Aircraft Carriers - New Accommodation The Fleet 11
janner WW2 Carriers The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Pompey News: "Navy Boss On Why Britain Needs Its Carriers Back" The Fleet 3
trelawney126 BBC Take On UK Carriers Current Affairs 7
soleil BBC News Magazine: "Does Anybody Still Need Aircraft Carriers?" The Fleet 3
soleil Mirror: "£500m Jump Jets May Melt The Decks Of Aircraft Carriers" The Fleet Air Arm 6
soleil Telegraph: "We’re All At Sea Over Our New Aircraft Carriers" The Fleet 1
dhoby_bucket Just in time for the new carriers... Current Affairs 0
soleil Pompey News: "Computer Tests Prove RN Carriers Will Be Able To Fit In Pompey Harbour" Bases / Shore Est 0
frogman007 Carriers to go back to VTOL?? Current Affairs 4
soleil Pompey News: "Carriers ‘May Have No Jets Until 2025’ The Fleet Air Arm 6
trelawney126 Further delays for Carriers The Fleet Air Arm 0
P Yet another twist in the story of the Queen Elizabeth/Prince of Wales carriers Current Affairs 37
MoD_RSS Drilling begins in Portsmouth for arrival of Navy's latest carriers Current Affairs 12
soleil Mail: "RN Spends £50bn On New Fighter Jets, But They Can't Land On Carriers" The Fleet Air Arm 13
soleil Mail: "Britain Will Be Without Any Fully-Working Carriers Until 2030, MPs Warn" The Fleet 11
scouse Aircraft Carriers in the Mersey The Fleet Air Arm 1
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top