new car or not?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Stuarty, Jul 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all im joining end of September as a ET(MESM) this year, I have an old run around fiesta but now it is f*cked , was wondering is it worth my while buying a new car the now or waiting till my training is over?

2. Wait until you've completed Phase 1, you can't bring your car to Raleigh anyway.

3. Cheers I'll just try and get put on my pals insurance till i go.

4. Can you cope without it for now? If you can wait untill training is over that way you can save whilst training to get a nicer one. Or if you have your CBT get a 125 runabout (you can get one for £400) for the meantime and it's easier to store in someones garage whilst training.

5. well im still working until i go but its a 8mile round trip so could just bike it.

6. I'm not saying matelots are a load of freeloading skates but watch out you are not used as a free taxi :wink:

7. Easily bike that, I do 8miles each way although when it gets icy I might not be so keen. :lol:

8. Not sure if the 'deals' are actually worth it but some car dealers do offer discounts to members of the armed services.

Having said that there's the old arguement of not buying a brand new car due to the depreciation that happens the second you drive it off the forecourt.

9. yea prob best getting 1 a few year old, just going to get put on my mates insurance till i go to raleigh.