New book recommendation wanted - castaway type

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Good_CO, Oct 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I finished "The Island of Dr Moreau" (mentioned in another thread). As with any castaway book written in the first person, he escaped, although is a little traumatised by the whole thing, which is understandable after a year on a small island shared with monsters, a mad scientist and a drunken medical student. Especially as his his faithful man-dog monster was killed.

Not as good as "The War of the Worlds" but HG Wells definitely deserves his fame.

Anyway, to the point... I would like to read a good account of a genuine desert island castaway if such a thing exists. Having seen the Tom Hanks film, read the above, The Lord of the Flies and probably others, I'd like read 'the real thing'. No monsters required.

Any recommendations? RR seems the right place to ask!

2. You could try "Castaway" by Lucy Irvine, my wife read it and thought it was good. From what I gather it's about some bloke who advertises for a wife to live with him on a desert island. Was made into a film with Oliver Reed/Amanda Donnahue but apparently the book much better. Then of course, always Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe....

3. Castaway by Lucy Irvine was a good read;
    basically about a woman (the author) who answered an advert for a 'wife' to spend time on an island with a author/write but ends up spending time on a desserted island with a husband who she doesn't really know that well.

It's really, more on the lines of a fantasy romance crossed over with tom hank's castaway, like a journal but it is a good read.

Fantasy type books;

Magic Bites Kate Daniels - It's a good read, if you like this type of book. I've pasted in what is written on Anazon, sums it up pretty well;

4. Thank for the tip on Castaway. I was actually after a true account - autobiographical is the correct way of describing it I suppose.

5. How about;

Castaway in Paradise: The Incredible Adventures of True-Life Robinson Crusoes

The review says;

Alexander Selkirk, a difficult and unpleasant British sailor, was put ashore at his own request on Mas a Tierra Island off the coast of Chile in 1704 and remained alone there until 1709. His story came to the attention of Daniel Defoe, and thereby hangs a tradition. Although isolated, Selkirk, upon whom Defoe modeled his fictional hero Robinson Crusoe, did not have a terribly trying situation, for he had fresh water, fruit, wild goats, shellfish and certain amenities. Others in comparable situations were not so fortunate, as Simmons ( The Big Book of Adventure Travel ) makes clear in these accounts of eight castaways--some by coercion, some by their own choice--ranging from the 18th century to (believe it or not) 1977. Just as the adventures of Selkirk/Crusoe enthralled readers in 1719, the chronicles here will surely prove exciting to readers today.
    Copyright 1993 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

6. An Island to one's self - Tom Neale

I haven't read this but my mum did, she said it was worth every minute and is a true account.

It's about a man, that in his 50's decides to attempt ' a robinson's crusoe'.

7. Newer! I'm not expecting complaints about lack of facilities to charge the ipod, but 19th or 20th century would be good. Don't want much do I?

8. Just the job. Thankd JD. Will look on ebay now.

9. Yep, or you looking for books on actual castaways from ship wrecks?

10. How about a collective?

Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors

Or a slightly different type of 'castaway';

Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival - Yossi Ghinsberg

11. John Dollar - by Marianne Wiggins

12. John Dollar is nor true though as far as I can see from Amazon.

Thanks JD - I'll have a look at the second. I suppose being stranded on desert islands isn't as common as hollywood / fiction would have you believe!

13. Hi CO - no not true - but like all the best fiction very plausible :thumright:

14. I can't remember the name of the book, but the author was a bloke called DeEnemy, or something like that anyway.

15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Not your classic desert Island castaway but the book "Alive" is far better than the film. (Arn't they always?)

It's about the rugby team that crashes in the andes, poor [email protected], there was a fully stocked hut about a mile away but the went looking in the other direction.