New Body Armour

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nice. Then again, old Osprey was meant to be comfortable too.

Mostly importantly though, I still maintain that the Mk7 helmet profile looks shit compared to the German or Yank versions. That being more imprtant than anything else of course ;)

2. absolutely. just because you're in a war zone doesn't mean you can't look good as well. ralph lauren should bring out their own range. :twisted:

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well the Gianni Versace range didn't quite take off, did it..? 8O :wink:

4. Bout time they made the helmet more like the yanks style, the last one was shocking.

5. Question is how long after autumn will it be untill the boots on the ground actually get it?

6. Well lets see, after the TA, some high ranking officers, clerks, chefs, cadets and anyone that dont really need it. Then the lads on the ground can have the left overs, and even then no doubt they will be all the sizes that none of the previous people want.

7. No DragonSkin yet then? :wink:

8. Daffy - what's wrong with TA geting it? You suggesting some of the chaps on the ground acting as fillers for the Regular army don't deserve new armour despite being in exactly the same situations? hmm?

Ro77 -careful about that Dragonskin concept, it may not be all it's cracked up to be....

9. Yeah, some reports of it's weight being rather excessive as well as difficulties in extreme temperatures concerning the laminates of the ceramic plates.

Credibility is the real problem here, vast quantities of sources in support and praise of Dragon Skin over its contemporaries versus blogs and reports from military personnel who have, during the same interview, unfortunately been unable to fully answer certain questions regarding the wearing of DS by the highest personnel during operations as well as presidential protection forces and other questions (I believe) involving the banning of DS before any formal testing..

I would have no opinion unless given the opportunity to witness testing of all current theatre vests in person.. I can believe either side of the story, though having said that, DS has been in active production since 1997 and surely these smart cookies will no doubt have been aware of the conditions/shortfalls of their own product in temperature and ability?

If the Discovery channel show 'Future Weapons' is to be believed as impartial and genuine then the DS vest is shown to survive a direct (touching front) detonation of a frag grenade and considering this is post-testing with numerous 5.56/7.62/9mm rounds having been peppered into the vest previously, it certainly does warrant further publicised testing..

I mean.. would the US gov't have ordered a classification on the ceramic plate recipe if it were truly inferior to the existing armour? 8O

EDIT: "previously rather than preciously :roll: "

been peppered into the vest preciously,

10. What was wrong with the osprey??

Only person who complained about it were mongs who couldnt hack the weight of it... all they needed to do was pack two plates of armour into the sides of it.