"New Anti Piracy 'Guardian' Barrier Beats Royal Marines"

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Sep 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd argue it'd be cheaper to install a former Easten bloc squaddie as a 'hired gun' to deter pirates than install a few hundred metre lump of plastic moulding around every ship each time it entered the Indian Ocean.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I can see their use but more in static defence of say oil platforms or for short bits of low freeboard.

I believe the ex-SF solution is to chuck fridges at the pesky little fellas.

4. Not sure about the financial aspect, but the plastic guards, (once purchased and fitted), would never make mistakes, get bored, need feeding, go ashore and get pissed, need to sleep and numerous other disadvantages associated with humans.

Maybe a long term solution as opposed to, (what is probably required now), a quick fix.

5. Working out here in West Africa, and seeing how resourceful the locals are at keeping things going with sod all resources, I'm pretty sure it won't take them long to work a way round it, and especially for the rigs which have many locals employed onboard, they're not much use against the "fifth columnist"

6. It has to be said that the RM shown in the film were probably using the standard equipment that they had. I suggest that there now exists the tools to overcome the problem.