New and need some questions answered

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Warthog, Nov 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, name's Warthog - I'm 20, South African and bloody handsome. Anywho, down to business; I've got a few questions and would be grateful if you guys could help me out, especially now since the RN website is down.

Firstly - I'm South African but I've never lived in the U.K, so my first question is - can I actually join the navy? I've been planning on joining the military for about a year now. Initially I was going to join the army but I've changed my mind. I know I can join the army without having lived in the U.K and I expect it's the same with the navy but I have to be sure.

My second question is - what is the procedure for joining? I know for the army I'd have to go over to England, do the ADSC and then wait for a basic training start date. How does it work in the navy?

If I can get these two questions answered I'll post some more.

Thanks in advance.
  2. You might want to have a read up on the 'South African Prohibition of Mercenary Activities and Regulation of Certain Activities in Countries of Armed Conflict Act 2006.'

As yet no definite date for the introduction of the Act has been given, until it comes into force, it remains business as usual for South African citizens serving in the British Forces. The [Army] point of contact for more information can be reached by telephoning +44 (0)1980 615351.

The number above is from the Army website but I'd assume the rules are similar if not the same. Perhaps you should give them a bell and see if they can point you in the right direction.
  3. Thanks, mate, I'll read through that now.

And, the S.A military has turned to... wait, of course you were joking. How silly of me :)

edit: @ deck_dash

Yeah when I was researching about joining the army I came across that info. I believe I read somewhere that it doesn't include those wanting to join the British military as commonwealth members. But maybe I should do a bit more research on that.
  4. Okay so reading that post Wrecker linked was helpful but now I have a few questions:

1. Ninja_Stoker said that under normal circumstances a commonwealth member would need to have at least 5 years residency in the U.K before they could join the Royal Navy or Royal Marines, however this requirement could be waived in certain circumstances. Well I haven't lived in the U.K, not one bit, but I have gone to international schools all my life (I was in the British schooling system from year 5 to year 10 and the American system from grade 9 to grade 12). I know plenty of British citizens who could vouch for me and both my uncle and aunt are British citizens. One of my aunts nephews is in the British Army he too should be willing to vouch for me.
    So all in all, my background should check out and show I'm quite trustworthy and that I won't use the military to help me transfer drugs across borders.
    Reckon this would this be enough to get a waiver or you couldn't say?

2. During the 36-48 month waiting period would I be able to remain in the U.K and get a job there while I wait?

3. I still need a bit of help clearing up the procedure in joining. Is there an equivalent to the army's ADSC (the 36 hour course to see if can join)? Would I go to the U.K, have my interviews, do the all the tests to see if I will be accepted and then wait the 3-4 years?
    When would I start the 9 weeks basic training, after the 36-48 month wait?

5. Yes. After the 36-48 month wait.
  6. Haha I like you already! Nothing really to add of value but all the best in your application mate.
  7. The best part of your post is that you have never lived in the UK, but your standard of English is way better than most UK born newbies who come onto the forum asking about joining the RN! :wink:

Good luck with your application!
  8. To be fair, I'm of British descent and English is my mother tongue :)
  9. I had only lived in UK for three years when I joined, but they never even mentioned it. Mind you they were still boarding American ships and pressing the crews back then.
    There are Australians who post on here who served in the RN in quite recent years so I wouldn't be suprised if one or another of them pops in and throws some light on your questions as to work etc. My case was different in as much as my dad was a British Subject.
    Which end of SA you from?
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

11. So from reading through that thread I've gathered this;
    - As a South African I need to get clearance from my government allowing me to join a military other than my own countries.
    - Having not lived in the UK I need to get a waiver for the residency requirement. I might get a waiver by having someone I know in the British military vouch for my integrity.

Have I missed out anything? I think I'm going to email the overseas desk tomorrow ([email protected]), what should I include in the email?

I think I'm also going to pop into the British and South African High Commissions to ask about joining and the Anti-Mercenary Act.

Again thanks for the help.
  12. Sorry mate, forgot to reply to you. I'm from Durban.

Anyways, I'm sending out my email tonight. Hope I don't have to wait too long for a reply.
  13. And if you have one failing (which clearly you don't) it's modesty :wink:

Sorry to butt in on this conversation but I have a SA friend who is also swithering over joining the RN. Admittedly he's not been as decisive as you (and his English is appalling, by comparison) but I'll sent him the links above, I think he'll find them interesting. His grandparents were British-born, wonder if that'll make a difference. :?:

What branch do you want to apply for, out of sheer nosiness?

Thanks, I'll take a hike now :D
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  14. Receiving you, over. Colour check, black, over. P. E. d'Antic, I think you might have gathered that was a typo, over.

Usually, I can spell lyk, realy gud. nd I can use aposro... aposd... the grammar things, u kno wot i mean. Im well good, me, its my amazin british educashun.
  15. It would appear that the Yarpy's got a stalker already.
  16. Get a room.
  17. Irony, or sarcasm... anyone?

Hmmm, either it's flown over your heads, or I've missed something. Either way, just to be clear, I was being sarcastic... yeah, I know, lowest form of wit...
  18. I got a reply saying that I can only get a waiver for the three year residency requirement if I want to join the Royal Marines.

Don't know what I'm gonna do now :/
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally speaking we get a fair few South Africans who join the Corps. Those that join the Corps as a first option tend to do very well, those that don't consider it as a first option tend to bail-out early on - the thing to bear in mind, at risk of stating the obvious, it's very different to the Navy, pretty much guaranteed you'll be deployed operationally to Afghanistan & categorically no point in joining the Royal Marines in the hope of transferring to the RN.

Best of luck in your choice.