New AIB format fitness

photface

Lantern Swinger
Is there anyone who has been on AIB this year who can tell me whether they will give you your fitness test time immediately after or not? It seems silly that you don’t find out whether it is a pass or fail until the very end of the board. Surely if people fail the fitness element they are out of the process anyway?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photface

Lantern Swinger
Just seems a bit counterproductive, surely they want to recruit people...are we just supposed to know our pace intuitively or something?!

Just seems a bit counterproductive, surely they want to recruit people...are we just supposed to know our pace intuitively or something?!

It's a maximal test, there shouldn't be a "pace".

Failing that, run a RNFT once a week with a stop watch, you quickly learn your pace.

Asked the ACLO about this just the other day. You'll be asked to remove any watches but the PTI should give you occasional time updates.
You can still achieve a provisional AIB pass even if your run wasn't up to scratch (you have to return to Sultan to do just the run again); so it looks like an attempt not to 'demotivate' otherwise strong candidates.

It's a maximal test, there shouldn't be a "pace".

Failing that, run a RNFT once a week with a stop watch, you quickly learn your pace.

What he said. Maximum effort, it’s only 2.4k.

On the whole I consider myself a fair man and I fully appreciate we all have different talents, but I find myself less forgiving when it comes to RNFT’s. If I can achieve the standard required of an 18 yr old at 45, there’s no excuse for failure. It requires a basic level of fitness that anyone can reach, you don’t need to be an athlete.

I assume that, as before the changes, you still get scored on it(other than pass/fail) so besides the obvious need to pass you never know, the extra point for effort might make the difference between an overall pass or fail.

photface

Lantern Swinger
Asked the ACLO about this just the other day. You'll be asked to remove any watches but the PTI should give you occasional time updates.
You can still achieve a provisional AIB pass even if your run wasn't up to scratch (you have to return to Sultan to do just the run again); so it looks like an attempt not to 'demotivate' otherwise strong candidates.
Thank you SO much for this- I couldn’t understand why the Navy would suddenly deviate from a format that has been used successfully for so many years!
When I have run the RNFT on AstroTurf in the past there have never been watches allowed but as you passed the pti they would let you know every now and then how many minutes had gone by.

Faded

Midshipman

We weren't told our times on the BFT on the PRMC, just got a number of where you finished. If you run it and practice enough you should know you how your getting on time wise.

There have been updates to process but in Nov we were allowed our watches and the SR bootneck told us as we crossed the line. But there were only 3 of us out there (finished round robin ahead of other boards as we were a person short).

Last edited:

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Pleeeeease tell me that this is a wind-up?

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
What he said. Maximum effort, it’s only 2.4k.

On the whole I consider myself a fair man and I fully appreciate we all have different talents, but I find myself less forgiving when it comes to RNFT’s. If I can achieve the standard required of an 18 yr old at 45, there’s no excuse for failure. It requires a basic level of fitness that anyone can reach, you don’t need to be an athlete.

I assume that, as before the changes, you still get scored on it(other than pass/fail) so besides the obvious need to pass you never know, the extra point for effort might make the difference between an overall pass or fail.
I sense we are kindred spirits on this one, Pompey. I personally have less-than-no time for people who biff the fitness tests of any of the Services. We as HM Forces are supposed to be able to defend the Realm against the Queen's enemies, yet there are some people serving who couldn't defend their way out of a McDonalds' wrapper.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
I know of an SUY who stoofed the RNFT element of his AIB and did exactly this - provisional pass and back to AIB to resit the RNFT only a few months later. I was astounded :eek:

Would the alternative be better though? Have them come back in a year to do the full resit?
If they passed the graded elements the first time they'll certainly do it the second time.

Yes, there's no excuse for failing to meet the standard but if the board thought they had strong potential in spite of the cock up, sending them round the long way will just waist more of every ones time.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
I don’t consider failing the RNFT when you’re in Service to be a ‘cock up’. I consider it to be intentional laziness and ill preparation for what should have been considered an important assessment. But I’m bias because I knew the Senior Rate in question only barely passed on the other elements and was a chimp.

Ironically his ‘waist’ was indeed the issue :D

I know they were thinking of changing the fitness test to be the first thing you do there, so it may have changed when I did mine.
But when I sat mine in november we were all told our times at the end. Infact before you went our you were asked what time you were hoping for in your interview, then in your debrief you were asked what time you got. You could ask how long you had (you were not allowed watches) and what lap you were on (although they didnt always give you an answer)
Personally, I loved the running at the end.