New 2-day AIB.....

Discussion in 'RFA' started by tree_doctor, Jan 27, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I feel like I've been posting an awful lot these days...
    Anyway, I should be sitting my AIB on the 26th of March. I was advised after my sift that the AIB has changed somewhat, and will now take place over 2 days than the normal 3, will be dumping the service knowledge test and changing the fitness test. I can see that this is likely to be a lot more intense than before. Anyone sat this new monstrosity? How does it compare with the old one?
  2. personally I found it easier, less waiting around and you don't have as much time to dwell on any potential mistakes, felt like I was going full pelt and giving my all.

Only downside is depending on how far you travel you might want to get a hotel for the night before as jumping straight into it was a bit of a jolt!

I was unfortunate to do both versions so if you have any specific questions feel free to fire away and I'll do my best!
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Also, be aware that if you pass the AIB but fail the fitness test, you will not be considered for entry to BRNC.
  4. I think the idea of going full pelt for the two days would probably suit me better now that you mention it, though I'll definitely be getting a hotel the night before! How did you do the second time round if you don't mind me asking?

Are you sure about that? I was advised that RFA candidates can't fail the fitness aspect, but can still lose marks on it.
  5. Purple_twiglet

No idea for RFA. But definitely the case for the RN.
  6. Fitness isn't a pass or fail thing for the RFA but they do look at the effort you put in to it.

They've dropped the service knowledge test.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RFA fitness test: walk to the NAFFI.
    RFA Service Knowledge test: fill out a tax return.

Bloody RFA...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The NAFFI eh?
  9. The AFCOs need a briefing on this. I asked the specific question of whether AIB still comprised three days and was unflinchingly assured that it did...
  10. Generally how complex are the mathematical psychometric tests? I know that I passed the maths section of my initial test by 2 marks, so its an area I should probably concentrate on. Apparently they also get you lined up and fire speed-distance-time questions at you, which I can see being a challenge.
    As regards the fitness, I'm looking forward to it. Its a very easy way to gain free marks, and unlike the bleep test I will not have to vomit to show that I'm trying my hardest.
  11. The difficult of maths questions is relative to your ability. Buy the Armed Forces Test book and practice away. Also SDT questions can be easily learned.
  12. Bugger, you know what I mean. Why is nothing dabber proof![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. I sat my RFA AIB earlier this month. I passed :)
    If anyone would like any specific questions answered, please PM me, I can also send over a podcast with AIB tips on it. Just to confirm, the fitness test isn't pass or fail for the RFA, it just gets you those extra points. For those of you not into PM'ing a few tips:

The most important: Be very vocal. Stupidly vocal. Motivate your team, take the lead, summarise the situation...

Never let your guard are being watched 24/7

Drive the correct way around the base when you arrive...someone didn't, was pulled out of a practice planning exercise and we never saw him again...

Learn current operations in able to point them out on a map and explain the effect such ops have on surrounding nations.

Show that you are genuinely interested by preparing before interview...get on board on an RFA ship by contacting it whilst in port...they are very friendly :) It gives you something to talk about at the AIB.

Finally, Good Luck!!
  14. Purple_twiglet

"Never let your guard are being watched 24/7"

A tired chestnut and very untrue - you are not subject to surveillance in the pub, the only points you are assessed is when you are sitting an actual evolution of some form.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Perhaps. Perhaps not, but being in said mindset is a good way to keep focused...the staff are always in earshot anyway...

16. Purple_twiglet

"Perhaps. Perhaps not, but being in said mindset is a good way to keep focused...the staff are always in earshot anyway..."

I can categorically assure you that you are talking utter bollocks about surveillance.
  17. And you would know this how exactly?

18. Purple_twiglet

Because I have spent time observing AIB, asked that very question of the staff and was told categorically that outside of the formal evolutions, no such surveillance exists or ever has existed, except in the minds of over excited candidates?

Its a point I've hammered home a lot to CW candidates and others that I helped prepare to go to AIB - you are never subject to informal assessment despite what you may think.
  19. Although getting pissed and pulling the pub apart isnt a wise move ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1