Never thought I would post something like this

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
The pre-req for getting a job (or going for any sort of interview) is about role-playing the interviewer - what does HE want? The interviewee has to train himself to present the skills and experience that the interviewer is looking for, not the skills etc he just happens to have. Plus, most civilians have no knowledge of the armed forces at all, but may well hold a raft of deep seated but entirely erroneous and adverse prejudices. Once in the job, what gets you ahead is being able to USE your leadership and organisational skills, not banging on about them. In particular the Navy will have trained you to hop in and make one, and to see new challenges as opportunities. Nobody will ever know how it was that you managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

The other thing to get hold of is that in civilian life everyone is looking after themselves, there is no such thing as teamwork and leadership except as a means to a personal end, let alone any real loyalty to either the employer or subordinates.

Agree fully! As an exRN Senior Rate, one should be able to hear the question, assess it, then reply approriately! But not lie, oh no, never..........

Final paragraph - my first job 'outside' was doing warship sea trials and I could not get my head around the different way things were done, eg if there was a fire, we had to run away from it, not grab an extinuisher and attack it!

MG Maniac

War Hero
MG Maniac wrote

I know 2 Engineer Officers with P&O Cruises who are ex Chief Tiffs, GS and CG. Neither are yet Chief Engineer as far as I know and neither walked into the Chief's job or the so called 'Staff Chief' - the Chief's deputy - which is where they sit now- CG certainly does after 15 or16 years with P&O. And there is the small matter of achieving the necessary Certificates of Competency; 4ths, then 2nd then a Chief's ( back to school and long exams including orals.) But well done them. You may of course be talking about someone else.

Ships not boats.

Don't think I actually inferred anyone "walked into a Chief Engineers job and certainly agree that there are a few things like Certificates that need to be taken etc ... my inference was that they did leave the RN as Tiffs and managed to get themselves good jobs - and yes very well done to them ... whereby there are others that have left the RN and sadly have not - in some case have failed to gain employment full stop! The main thrust of this is that purely being ex RN does not necessarily guarantee a job. (and yes I was talking about someone else however that is immaterial).

A little tongue in cheek - its good to see that us certified passenger ticket carring Docs can still get a rise out of seafarers ... ships/boats pointy end/ blunt end windows /ceilings etc!!!!:eek:ccasion7:

MG with equal respect, I suspect there are many in your current employment whom you could equally tar with the same brush.
Frontline is shite we all know it. However read my last post I would consider the emergency services as worthy of better treatment as our armed forces but they make up only a small proportion of the public sector most of whom I wouldn't piss in their mouths if their teeth were on fire.

Stan you are most certainly correct! I wonder just how many of my so called "managers" would cope in the same conditions that most of us have worked in at some time dring our RN careers. The trouble is "experience" doesn't count for sod all -mainly as to be honest there is nothing that they can actually compare it too!

I really want to say that that is true, but none of the advertising types I've met did Media Studies. They (the ones I've met, so not necessarily representative) have usually done traditional subjects such as English.

I feel very sorry for some of the young students I've met who have done Media Studies and who were hoping that the door to advertising would therefore open up for them; they were finding the going very difficult.

The key to getting in through that door is actually more likely to be having had an unpaid internship. The students who have done Media Studies seem not to have the contacts which make that a real possibility and it's that part of the equation which is hard for them.

This isn't a covert way of jumping on the 'Media Studies degrees are useless' bandwagon, by the way, just my impression from having met successful people in advertising and young students who had done Media Studies and discovered that very few companies are interested in that kind of degree.

My daughter is one of those I mentioned. She has a degree in Librarianship and media studies or something like that. Until she retired to be a full time mum, she was a campaign team leader with an international advertising and publicity company managing some really big accounts.
She prefers being a full time mum in spite of losing the big bucks income. I'm proud of that attitude.