Never thought I would post something like this

Stan the Man complained

Your original post is unchanged. The thread may have not developed according to your intent but it was you who put it in Lil's.

Less usual than your posts' recurring and tiresome all officers are corrupt, self serving and stupid theme.
ah a bitch engineer not unusual though
I didn't fcuking complain either

Last edited:

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Either a lot has changed since I left the mob in 2008 or engineering on ships is different to that on submarines. I was forever having to doctor what spares we had to get a bit of kit going,use o seals to assist actuators because the volt drop was not allowing it to operate properly or make resistors out of decade boxes to name but a few...I now work in power generation and find it unbelievable that all we do is operate and someone else maintains,I think I can honestly say that my current job is less than half of what I did in the mob for nearly as much money(including submarine pay) and without a doubt it was my RN training that got me the job and 7 out of 17 shift workers are ex RN must count for something.

At the risk of upsetting Stan, Monty, 2DD and SD - Barney, I think you are right. I too had many times where I reached out for the soldering iron, Araldite or HBM to make things or keep the existing going whilst out on patrol. Skiper didn't care what I broke if it meant his pet toy was got working again.

I left with plenty of bits of paper telling me I had electrical/electronic engineering qualifications. I also joined the relevent bodies and was an MIEE or something. I ended up as a CPhys - don't ask!

Finally, I too left at the peak of redundancies/recession and accumulated a very large and depressing pile of 'no thanks' letters - from those that deigned to reply. However, I ended up in defence ( Vospers RSNF, then T42/CVS support) finally as a member of the T45 design team.

I do feel sorry for the chaps going outside now, with no 'real' bits of paper, no 'real' apprenticeship and no 'real' skills just the fact that they are exRN.

At the risk of upsetting Stan, Monty, 2DD and SD - Barney, I think you are right. I too had many times where I reached out for the soldering iron, Araldite or HBM to make things or keep the existing going whilst out on patrol. Skiper didn't care what I broke if it meant his pet toy was got working again.

I left with plenty of bits of paper telling me I had electrical/electronic engineering qualifications. I also joined the relevent bodies and was an MIEE or something. I ended up as a CPhys - don't ask!

Finally, I too left at the peak of redundancies/recession and accumulated a very large and depressing pile of 'no thanks' letters - from those that deigned to reply. However, I ended up in defence ( Vospers RSNF, then T42/CVS support) finally as a member of the T45 design team.

I do feel sorry for the chaps going outside now, with no 'real' bits of paper, no 'real' apprenticeship and no 'real' skills just the fact that they are exRN.
SB Not upsetting me at, all but its now 2014, things are getting better and I standby my statement that the public's perception of our armed forces and their abilities has changed significantly over the past few years, acts of bravery and selfishness portrayed positively in the media now means its a good time to trade in the goodwill and "warmer" glow the general public feel about our armed forces. Never, in my opinion post 1982, have our armed forces been so highly thought of. I agree with 2DD yes we have it/ have had easy at times but by fcuk when the shit hits the fan there's no emergency services to bail you out. If you feel as a serving member that the perks have now been eroded so badly that you feel like giving at a go in the big bad world,try it, the worlds a very dodgy place right now and the next bucket load of shit that comes over the horizon and you've got great kit but no fcuker to operate it they'll want you back but on far better terms than they are providing at the moment.

Latest Threads