Never let Tarts in the cockpit/Hangar pilots

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Aug 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Female cleaner was resposible for $50Mill/Dollar Write off. She pressed the starter S/W To slowly spin the engine compressor blades for washing? Some hangar pilot :w00t: :thumright:
    [​IMG] ps
    any FAA hangar pilot stories???????? you know? :w00t: :thumright: /
  2. You couldn't make it up! PMSL! :thumbright:
  3. They never heard of Chocks? Or brakes, for that matter?

Heard of a few SHAR ground-runners who've accelerated the engine too much and jumped over the chocks. Might be a gash dit, but think one such person might have begun to get airborne with the nozzles down? Shag Shacker, Chief Tiff, correct me please if I'm wrong?
  4. True,

Have seen it happen, one ground runner did not notice they had taxi'ed about 10 feet.
  5. Think their was a Bucc or Vixen that was doing slams. That jumped the chocks and ended up in the line shack. With an embarrassed CPO in the cockpit :thumright: Slim might remember!! :w00t: :thumright:
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I left two 10' long skid marks on the hardstanding during a "low power" ground run on nights 899, I didn't notice because it was dark, unfortunately everyone else did the next morning. I think I might have noticed if I had becom airborne though and there were no breaks in the skid marks.
  7. In the early 80s there was allegedly a linie who did that on 1F Sqn. The jet moved forwards into the next slot, where our hero left it, leaving a very puzzled Line Chief thinking " how the f*ck did that jet get there?". I was always a bit suspicious of such stories.
  8. Ever done a "ground track" on a Wessex - remember the first one I ever did (after PO's Course) - lifting the pole/flag into the rotating disc - not actually doing it, but directing from out front where the Pilot could see you, that flapp-flapp-flapp-flapp when all the blade tips touch the flag - then having to do it again cause it was "out of track", must admit the well done from the watch chief felt quite good. All down the Mens Bar after.
  9. There was an Engineer WgCp who working an aircraft with running engines managed to fly a circuit, MB with an ejector seat fitted. Can't remember when perhaps 1960
  10. I was on 899 when some happlis engineer was messing about in the cockpit and managed to start the engine on a SHAR it made a right mess of the hangar it was in.

The same engineer also managed to blow the under carriage down whilst it was on jacks. He was actually asked to lower the under carriage and was drawn to the big yellow and black button. I will never forget the CPO's face looking through the hydrolic fluid that covered us all....
  11. Didn't he torch a SHAR by accident as well? At a foreign RAF camp, poss Akrotiri?