Nervous new starter with lots of questions - please help!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by albertk, Sep 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm due to join in March 2015 and I have a few questions that I was wondering if anyone could answer for me (sorry if these have already been asked or seem common sense) my family are looking for answers to their questions so I thought the easiest way would be to ask them on here.

1) When at Raleigh how contactable will I be? i.e will I be able to keep in touch with home via calls/texts etc

2) After basic training when on base can partners come to visit/stay?

3) I've read different things about lengths of service, can anyone clarify how long you actually sign up for?

4) Does anyone have any info on the Personnel Logistician role, I've searched this forum and also the internet but can't seem to find much information

Thanks in advance for any replies, any information provided will be greatly appreciated
  2. Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It may be worth your while searching through the newbie posts as many of your questions have been answered before.
    However I'm sure that the Ninja will be here soon, read & digest what he says.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome Albert.
    Just a guess but are you joining on March the 22nd?
    Have you had your PRNC yet?

1) I think in the evenings, but most of the time, you will be too busy getting your uniform ready.
    2) I assume after you complete phase 2
    3) The initial contract is 18 years.
    4) No Idea
    What you joining as?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. A lot of assumptions there.

1) Yes you can, in the evenings.

2) Yes you can when you get night leave, normally 2 weeks after you've started Phase 2 , you'll be doing Phase 2 at Raleigh and there's plenty of B&B's, hotels etc in the area. You'll be told about these near the end of Phase 1 as you may want family down for your passing out parade.

3) As stated, 18 years.

4) JFH has posted the link, seems strange your joining a branch you don't know much about!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. At this present time on the current contract you will join up for 18 years, however this will soon be extended to 20 years under the new contract coming out next year. Those on 18 years will be offered a 2 year extension to their contract otherwise they will not be able to get the EDP (lump sum) at the end of their contract.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

These are the sort of questions the people at your AFCO are employed to answer & indeed the staff on your PRNC. The answers above are spot on.

My guess is the burning issues are communications, separation & how quick you can quit.

During initial training communications with home are limited to texts & calls outside of the working day. There will be days when this won't always be practical, such as when on exercise in the field.

Most trained ratings in a partnership choose to either commute home weekends when able, or their partner perhaps considers moving to the local area and you either rent or buy a property in which you live most evenings/weekends unless at sea or duty.

As stated above, the contract is changing, but at present you can quit in the first six months, if not, minimum service is about 4.5 years and you can wrap at any point thereafter.

With regard the day to day role of the Personnel Logistician, I'd sincerely hope you already knew that before deciding to become one. Office, clerical, human resources.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hi all,

Thank you so much for your replies.

With regards to my role, I am familiar with what I'll be doing/learning, I've read all the information I can find but was just looking for any additional information anyone might have, maybe someone who is/has been, the inside scoop kind of thing.

Once again thank you for the replies, have a great day all.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. WTF is a Personnel Logistician in old money????
  10. So Captain of the Heads has now become:oops: an Executive sanitation operative
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Writers will always be Data Janitors in my eyes.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I'm guessing writers aren't very popular within the navy then?
  13. Only on pay day :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Everyone i have told who is serving or people that i used to work with that have in the past have all asked why choose the worst branch in the navy. Probably just jealousy :D I suppose it doesn't appeal to everyone, and messing pay up is a necessary but unpopular job haha.
  15. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.
  16. The PO Writer on Manchester wasn't, everytime you told him you were broke and could not go ashore with him he opened the pay office and gave you a casual:eek:
  17. Must have gone on draft before I joined!
  18. Lucky sod:p
  19. The PO Writer in the Manchester in my day sticks in my mind because he had to have all of his teeth removed after they rotted from years of chain-smoking (sorry, not quite on topic...)
    • Funny Funny x 1