Nelson Wardroom

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by stumpy, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard rumours that HMS NELSON wardroom is due to close?

Is this true? The reason I ask is that I gather that it is often full, and so I believe is Whale Island.

Surely a better idea would be to keep it, demolish the awful cheap extension on the Victoria Baths side, and build some new accommodation on its quite large grounds?

(NB: I wasn’t sure which forum to place this on, so mods please feel free to move it.)

2. EXC mess is usually full, but I think the usual overflow tends to be HMP Fareham rather than Nelson.

I haven't been in for a while but I understand that it's pretty dead most of the time nowadays; a mainly transit population who tend to eat ashore in the evenings.

I suppose moving the HQ staff over to EXC from the dockyard won't have helped, it's too far away for most to bother using it for lunch.

Haven't heard anything about a closure, and I'd be surprised as it would leave the Fleet Accomodation Centre with no O's accomodation

3. Last I heard was they had thought about including it as part of "efficiencies" (they're not called cutbacks anymore) but abandoned the idea because there would be no mess for the officers working in NELSON and the Naval Base to use.

They obviously thought it would be worth a few quid - both in savings and in sale of assets.

SF

4. I believe closing the WR was one of the proposals in a "Lean" study or "Rapid Improvement Event".

One of the suggestions was to build new accommodation in the Dockyard, possibly converting one of the old warehouses. I don't know whether this idea got any further though.

I know that Portsmouth Uni would love to get their hands on the grounds, but if anyone were to use it as accommodation, then a lot of the cabins will need a lot of work to bring them up to 21st century standards, particularly the East and West wings.

5. Won't need a Wardroom when Pompey Naval Base closes!

6. Ah nostalgia! Remember when it was VICTORY Wardroom?

7. Nelson Wardroom's OK. It goes through peaks and troughs. The last Social Sec kicked off a lively programme of functions, including monthly film night, Wednesday buffet dinners in the bar (stopped originally because a visitor complained, I believe, possibly too expensive now, with PAYD), monthly livers-in dinners & live bands.
    The Wardroom is usually very full, a good proportion of transient members on course, or visiting, I guess, but a good core of livers-in. Admittedly many of those livers-in are only there for 3 nights a week, but hey, we've got homes/families/friends to go to.

8. THREE DAYS A WEEK? The reason the Navy is on it's knees is because the personel don't understand the meaning of a proper weeks work.

Arrive Lunchtime Monday, stay Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (3 Nights) Then home............ (uless the author sees it differently, then I apologise)

As a Reservist we visit Wardrooms and bases all over the Country and it's perfectly obvious that the Navy don't realise that we are in the 21st Century and have budgets that can not be met.

If the RN did a "proper" week's work there would be an insant 20% uplift in manpower for nothing. Remember, you all get the "X" factor to cover the hardship of having to be at sea and work long hours, so don't use the "shore time balances sea time" line. If that's what you want, give up the extra money.

The same applies across the whole MOD - The "Sailors sell their story" fiasco - broke on Maundy Thursday (day before Good Friday) - and the Press Complaints Commission have stated quiet clearly that when they tried to intervene the couldn't get hold of anyone in the Press Office - What a surprise.

Rant over

9. It's great to see the names continuing , Nelson and Victory. They should be on every school program so that all kids are made aware of this particular man and the time of England's fighting courage . I hope HMS Victory is watched closely so she doesn't end up like the Cutty Sark , what a tragedy that was . Yeh , one of my dreams, to have a replica of the Victory's stern as a lounge area ideally with a panoramic view of the sea.

10. Many of those livers in have jobs which involve them being away from base frequently hence spending only three nights and perhaps less in their own beds..

11. Well said Slim. Having experienced intensive foreign deployments of up to nine months working 168 hour weeks (i.e. never off duty), intervening shore service used to offer many more opportunities for spending some time at home, at least at weekends when not 'duty beauty'. The abolition or civilianisation of so many shore billets now means such opportunities are few and far between. Certainly for the Warfare Branch, most shore jobs now involve considerable sea-riding while running operations or conducting training, trials and exercises, and/or attending meetings at various MoD and naval establishments around the country. Many of the 'shore-based' engineers and loggies are also busy doing similar things or providing forward support. In the meantime, the pressures of sea time have actually increased, not decreased, particularly with the advent of 'lean-manning' and the wars on terrorism, drug-running, piracy, etc.

Some people tend to forget that the majority of officers, senior rates and older junior rates have young families they'd like to see sometimes. Even the younger sailors like to see their girl/boyfriends, parents and siblings occasionally when not deployed in the far flungs.

X-factor or not, give 'em a break, upsky.

12. Don't get me wrong, I fully support the "fighting end" of the Service, - I became a qualified OOW (as a Reservist) and have spent many months on deployment / doing excercises and fully understand the hours worked / time spent away.

However - I still feel that the legions of shore-based personnel, many of whom never go to sea, should put in a proper shift. We have 80+ Commodores, for example, very few of whom will be away / at sea for during the remainder of their careers. These people are "Senior Managers / Directors" and frankly, don't act like it - in the Civillian world this level of Employee would routinely travel (UK and abroad) be away from home frequently and STILL put in very long days at least 5 days a week.

Remember - us "part timers" arrive at places like Nelson (hence this thread) on Friday afternoon - It's empty - fact. As is Leach Bldg and every other Naval Establishment around the country. Work finishes lunchtime Friday (or before) for the very large majority - this can't be right for those who have not "given" on the other side of the equation.

During a recent presentation an RN Captain said about his current post that he "..routinely worked from 0830 until gone 1800..." And this was meant to impress a collected bunch of (for most of the time) civvies...... wrong audience to say that to, Captain Sir......

The Junior guys (and girls) fair enough - rubbish pay, poor accommodation, questionable leadership - but the senior people (Lt Cdr up and CPO up) ? Come on people - do a week's work - hey, you might even meet the odd reservist......

13. Where the civvies are concerned, surely this contravenes the European working time directive? 8O

Seriously though, I'm not saying ALL the Friday afternoon absentees are workaholics the rest of the week but many will have worked long hours so they can push off early for the weekend, often to the other end of the country. As a Pompey native who spent several years as a liver-in at OSPREY (Portland), COCHRANE (Rosyth) and (many moons ago) JSOM (Plymouth) and PEMBROKE (Chatham), I had few qualms about working in the office until 2000 or later during the week (when not sea-riding) so I could use my monthly CTM to get home on the occasional Friday in time to do a bit more than just switch off the lights and turn in. At least my in-tray was relatively empty when I left whereas many of the civil servants I worked with prided themselves on how full they kept theirs. I remember some boasting about how they hadn't had time to look at their in-trays for weeks, but they still poked off at 1630 each day leaving their service colleagues beavering away; only a few, usually ex-forces, hung around long enough to finish the job. And don't get me started on the business of using up annual sick leave entitlements.

That said, working long hours does not necessarily mean working effectively or even productively. The US Navy was (possibly still is) notorious for all the staff sticking around until after the Boss left, whether they were achieving anything or not. I'd hate to see that in our own Navy. Similarly, before you slag off the brass too quickly, think of all the calls on their time during evenings and weekends attending business meetings, parades, reunions, afilliation events, commemorative ceremonies, official lunches and dinners besides hosting foreign ships and dignitaries, etc. Like royalty, some of them have little time to call their own. I know which option I'd prefer.

14. Most of us who work long hours have waived our entitlements under the EU working time as part of our contracts. That said, 0830-1800 is still well under the 48-hour limit if you include 1hr lunchbreak.

My understanding was that shore drafts are balanced by time at sea, but for those who don't do much time at sea, I imagine they essentially work civil service hours.

15. Its ok saying people shoudnt finish at 12 on a friday but how many people working civvy jobs live 6 hours away from there home? If you finish later than 12 you miss all friday night. then you only have sataday and part of sunday before making the return trip.

16. well said. The RN is not normal life. Some parts are better, some worse, hopefully they balance out. The constant gripping about RN not working to civillian hours etc is rubbish, they are chalk and cheese. The civie comparisons mentioned earlier do not go to work for 6 months at a time.

17. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

You have your head firmly up your A**E!

My staff and I work the hours that would put most civvy employers into a world of pain, and my last appoinment was the same. In fact for the last 10 years or so the amount of work has been relentless.

I cannot believe a part-time, puddle pirate is yelping about the RN not pulling its weight!

So what that you manage a full-time civilian career and be a Reservist. I did the same for four years, then decided to do it properly by joining up. Until you spent 5-6 years inside in the current climate you will not be in any position to judge how hard we work.

Comments like yours are unfounded, damaging and frankly unwelcome - go somewhere and add some operational value!

18. But thats just life in a blue suit :lol: , can't handle it you should'nt have joined up. want 9-5 and home every weekend join a fecking bank!

19. ALL Civilians should be shot at birth!! :thumleft: Awise quote,even if i say so myself. I am now going to turn to!!! I LOVE MY 24,7,365!!! :salut:

20. Err 366 every 4yrs...can't have you slacking off eh! :thumright: