Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nelson battle of trafalgar?

Naval_Gazer said:
sussex2 said:
I forget the name of the rotter that shot Nelson but know the French had a ship named after him back in the '70's..

Again, Google is your friend. From this page of The Times online:

...Britain has always doubted French claims that Sergeant Robert Guillemard, a Provençal fuselier, shot Nelson from the mizzen mast of Le Redoutable and survived to tell the tale.

Midshipman John Pollard was credited by Captain Thomas Hardy, commander of HMS Victory, with killing the sniper, who was described as an anonymous infantryman.

As an older man, the then Commander Pollard wrote to The Times in 1863 to complain that another former midshipman, Edward Collingwood, was trying to take the credit...

Yes indeed and thank you very much.
I did try but could only come up with John Pollard etc..and attempted to rely on my memory; not a good thing to do half way through carnaval and another late night...
The town has turned manic and frozen individuals are swarming the streets dressed in little more than feathers, all intent on having the time of their lives.
There's a big parade tomorrow and another, much naughtier, on Tuesday after which all these visitors will go away and leave us in peace..

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
gillc said:
I didnt realise that my grommer and speeling would be skrutinised on a fourum. Forgiive me I dident release.
Well done for alllways beeeing so observaant.
Cheers

Don't mention it, Norman... :wink:

andym

War Hero
sussex2 said:
I forget the name of the rotter that shot Nelson but know the French had a ship named after him back in the '70's..

Jacques le Bastard i think it was.

stirling2

Banned
gillc said:
Oh dear I knew Id get this response really, maybe I should have put it to you a bit better. I am indeed doing my own research (I have even thoguht about visting a Lord Nelson pub tonight to mull over my ideas) However we are urged to cross reference our own findings and I thought maybe I could use some substantial arguments and views from serving members of the navy rather than the flat pages of books I am immersed in. A wider range of different sources is what I had in mind. I thought there would be some people on here who where maybe passionate about this particular chapter in history and might enjoy imparting some of their views.
Cheers
Gill

You ungratefull prat......I would have thought a brief with a few of the dits from the fertile imagination of RR posters, shaken and stirred with the serious stuff, would be preferential to some boring tome from your quill.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Can't wait to read the credits at the end of this thesis - 'Correspondence and information, NZBootneck et al ..'

If this is a serious piece of academic work I would expect the candidate to be seeking out and reading BOOKS and seeking out primary sources for Nelson such as his letters - but maybe in the 21st century academic credits are given away with a packet of tea... or a postcard of the Victory with 'wish you were here' on it signed HN.

gillc

Well well well as representatives of the Royal Navy you guys certainly seem to be doing yourself justice. Obviously being locked away on boats rubbin each other up has turned you into a bunch of selfish inbreds with little else to do but exercise your inane 'wit' on message boards! Lol. I have referenced such 'books' you speak of (yes even those without pictures, maybe you would not be aware of their existance) It isnt a thesis merely a 10 minute presentation to assist me in learning briefing techniques. I thought it would be a nice touch to add some oppinions of those who have been directly affected from possible lessons learned from the Napoleonic wars. I am glad that we have an army and an air force to protect these shores if this is the sort of competancy of the Royal Navy. How proud you must all be. You all make Popeye and Donald Duck look like our only hope should the Taliban launch a war at sea
Thanks a lot

Do you hear there! Exercise complete. Return and stow all gear.

(Or so it would seem for the time being.)

P.S. At RNSETT (RN School of Educational and Training Technology) we were always advised on the I.T. (Instructional Technique) Course to kick off with a familiar topic, not one we didn't have the foggiest about.

Naval_Gazer said:
Do you hear there! Exercise complete. Return and stow all gear.

(Or so it would seem for the time being.)

P.S. At RNSETT (RN School of Educational and Training Technology) we were always advised on the I.T. (Instructional Technique) Course to kick off with a familiar topic, not one we didn't have the foggiest about.

ooo do you remember on that course there is always one person that asks that stupid question of the class that makes them fall about laughing? My lecture was on the safety aspects of hillwalking and I remember being the only girl, the only RNR and the only JR in the class when I asked rather innocently "can someone give me something that might keep your equipment dry?"

andym

War Hero
gillc said:
Obviously being locked away on boats rubbin each other up has turned you into a bunch of selfish inbreds with little else to do but exercise your inane 'wit' on message boards!

Firstly,Boats are Submarines,No there werent any in Nelsons time!And most submariners probably DO rub themselves from time to time.

andym

War Hero
gillc said:
I thought it would be a nice touch to add some oppinions of those who have been directly affected from possible lessons learned from the Napoleonic wars.

Secondly,i doubt that ANY lessons have been learned from the Napoleonic Wars,except to be care full of Power crazed Corporals and wierd Corsicans,had lessons been learnt we would have any Wars in the following Years.

ctfairway

Lantern Swinger
The Countries best living expert on Nelson is a man called Colin White. You should be able to contact him through the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich. I have heard him talk on the subject and he is excellent. He is particularly good on Nelson's leadership qualities and how he managed to inspire such tremendous loyalty from his own Ship's Company and from the Commanding Officers of the ships in his fleet. These are aspects just as relevant today as at the Battle of Trafalgar.

He is very friendly and I am sure would be only too pleased to help you.

Good luck.

see this link http://www.boydell.co.uk/nelson3.htm

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
An interesting point of view from gillc, he thought that a well researched (Allegedly) piece of academic work could be enhanced with a few pithy comments from the members, Old Salts all (Stand fast me, I only did a dogs watch) of an unofficial website all hidden with the of anonymity of usernames.
How on earth would he have validated any claims made by the said members and would he have just cobbled together any useful information and used that or would he have given RRers due credit in his Reference List, I will leave that to the jury me Lud.
Is gillc the first Walting student.
NZB

Perhaps it was more a wish to hear some opinions from a current Andrew angle. We may have had a view that he/she wouldn't necessarily have held otherwise.

Apart from BR1806 being the Manual of Naval Doctrine, we've arguably adopted little from Trafalgar, any more than any other individual engagement. As I remember, the original request was for our beliefs regarding the effect it's had on current RN strategy and tactics. Well I would argue that it's had bugger all influence on tactics as technology has demanded new ones. I'm not sure we would wish to engage the Enemy more closely these days!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SILVER_FOX Admiral Lord Nelson Battle Strategy Nautical Jokes 0
Frostie Supply officer - Vikki Nelson Nearest & Dearest 27
T Master-at-Arms Dave Nelson, RN The Quarterdeck 0
X History of Jervis Block, HMS Nelson History 30
L HMS NELSON Bases / Shore Est 16
soleil BBC News: "Wave Poppies Sculpture On Display At Fort Nelson" History 4
C HMS Nelson help Social & Reunions 2
P NELSON Wardroom to be sold off Current Affairs 45
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Support Advisor (Vehicles) - Nelson - £Competitive Salary The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
aaronjmuk RA Lockers in Nelson?? Bases / Shore Est 1
shazam21 HMNB PORTSMOUTH / HMS NELSON JPA Access? Bases / Shore Est 0
Trainer Gosport Mayor Banned from Nelson's and rest of Gosport Pubs Diamond Lil's 5
soleil Guardian: "Paint Detectives Uncover True Colours Of Nelson's Victorious Flagship" History 0
redmonkey Nelson Navy & Nation The Book Club 0
soleil EDP: "Nelson amd Hoste's Connection To Norfolk Naval History" History 0
soleil National Maritime Museum: "Nelson, Navy, Nation" History 2
H Family Rooms @ HMS Nelson. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
L Suspect package at HMS Nelson today Bases / Shore Est 28
soleil Telegraph: "Nelson: French Are 'Thieves, Murderers, Oppressors And Infidels'" History 13
T Nelson Mandela - Hospital! Current Affairs 89
WreckerL Nelson's caribbean hellhole BBC4 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 8
soleil Nelson Mail: "Submarine 'Got A Hammering'" Submariners 3
P Lord Nelson memorabilia History 2
soleil Telegraph: "Horatio Nelson's Trafalgar Uniform To Go On Display In France" History 1
ISeeThreeShips Lord Nelson (Sword-Pistol) Goes Up For Sale History 0
scouse Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson History 19
B Nelson UPO - Medals UPO 0
soleil BBC Hampshire News: "Nelson's HMS Victory Becomes Marvin Ayres' Recording Studio" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Mail: "Taller Than Nelson's Column, It Generates Enough Energy To Power 5,500 Homes" The Fleet 6
soleil FT Letters, Time To Do Our Duty By Nelson History 2
soleil Sun: "Skint Navy Surrenders Nelson’s HMS Victory" Bases / Shore Est 11
soleil Telegraph: "Explorers Raise Hope Of Nelson 'Treasure Trove' On Victorian Shipwreck" History 2
soleil Pompey News: "Memorial For Nelson And Lives Lost At Sea" Bases / Shore Est 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS Royal George, Nelson's Column and the Mary Rose History 0
soleil Nelson’s Navy: Back From The Dead - Channel 4 - Sunday - September 04 2011 - 2000 History 21
soleil Mail: 'Victory Is Mine: Our Man In The Rigging Helps Tear Apart Nelson's Mighty Ship' Bases / Shore Est 2
Z Cat B/Car licence course at Nelson Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil Norwich Evening News: "Students From Norwich Follow In Nelson’s Footsteps" SCC and URNU 0
The_Caretaker Nelson Mandela Miscellaneous 0
soleil "Horatio Nelson 'Was French Football Captain', Say Children" Current Affairs 21
Squirrel RN Optag - HMS Nelson - 11 Jan The Fleet 1
Seaweed Nelson Bn, Royal Naval Division History 0
rod-gearing If Nelson were alive today Diamond Lil's 44
S HMS Nelson Lift? Bases / Shore Est 22
M HMS NELSON Dentist Phone Number Bases / Shore Est 4
H how to book into hms nelson? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
A Politcally Correct Nelson? Current Affairs 2
S Nelson Wardroom The Fleet 44
Scud For anyone at Nelson The Fleet 3
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2