nelson battle of trafalgar?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by gillc, Feb 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all. Wondering if any of you guys can help me? Im currently preparing a brief on Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar and I am trying to find out what influence it has had on modern naval strategy and tactics.
    I know that you guys know your stuff and are probably a lot more knowledgable than me.
    Any help would be amazing
    X Gill
  2. Hello Gill,

Welcome to RR. It is very flattering to be asked but I'm sure you don't really need to be spoon-fed, do you? Instead of getting us to do all the work for you, why don't you do some research and come back with some ideas we can discuss? There are plenty of sources on the internet and in libraries. Good luck.

(Hints: Care for the sailors, element of surprise, band of brothers thinking as one, individual initiative, closing with the enemy, thorough training, etc)
  3. Well suffice to say,if we had lost then maybe the RN uniform might include a cap with a stupid red pom pom on it!Also sh it on a raft would be fricasse de jambe des Frogges,Rum would be swapped for pernod and a set od 9's would become "Neufs"!!!
  4. And that stupid white front :pukel:
  5. And poofy white a la carte la mange tout headgear.
  6. When it was discovered that Sgt Seker RM had 'lifted' Nelson's wallet as he carried him down to the Poop (Or was it the Orlop?) Deck of the Victory, the Admiralty insisted that all Officers on Ships with RM detachments wear money belts.
    For some time this prevented RN Officers showing the dash and verve of Cochrane, as they were all terrified of falling overboard and not being able to ditch their Gold Sovereigns fast enough.
    It was not until the advent of the Telegraph System in the Mid Nineteenth Century and the possibility of money orders being sent over vast distances that RN officers were again able to command boarding/cutting out parties with the aplomb of their forefathers, this of course led to much daring do in larger ship actions.

You may feel free to use this information as part of your presentation, I do of course expect you to give my work a correct citation (APA formating of citations is preferred).
    Alternately you could try the novel approach of doing some proper research.
  7. after the Battle Hardy and Adm Villeneurve le Comte Du Patisserie repaired to "La tete de Kepple" in down town Pompey,after a baguetts and some snifters of Pernod it was decided that it was a close called thing.The Spics buggered it all up as well.A few Jeu D'Uckers were had and it all started to get out of hand.They all left LA Tete De Kepple and ended up in the Trafalgar where there was an almighty bundle,bootie,blood snot and Frogs legs abounded,some one shouted " I spose you englishmen expect some one to do your jobs for you?"

This was the REAL Battle of Trafalgar and the missquoted "Signal" that was supposed to have been sent By Horatio Nelson who was actually away on a Away Shag A Day with lady Hamilton at Hunstanton Seafront.
  8. Not the Hotel Kepple by Albert Gate in Guzz ? (Shurely some mishtake ?)
  9. Ace! :number1:
  10. "what influence it has had on modern naval strategy and tactics"

These days the captain listens to the XO when he says "Sir, perhaps instead of the f*cking great hat and chestful of quality street, might I suggest flak jacket and helmet and staying the f*ck below decks out of sniper range"

The French have also adopted better listening strategies for their command, like listening to the lookout when he lowers his glass and hollers from the crows nest "the crazy eeeenglish rosbif batards have set ze fire to ze ships and are sailing zem right f'kin at us"

I believe it was Admiral Yamamoto who said "If youre going to pick a fight with the English, dont lose, theyre c*nts when they beat you"

Of course since black tot day we have almost stopped going into battle completely arseh*led as exemplified by Nelson himself, charging up the hill at Tenerife, shot in the arm he was heard to exclaim, "My arms broken in 72 places, your f*cking round it is then Hardy". And earlier, on being blinded by cannon fire /debris at Calvi, he exclaimed "Bosun, I am so pissed I cant see out my right eye, you will have to get the kebabs in.."

Nowadays, sailing slowly towards each other pounding the opposition with cannon has been replaced by arguing in the seamans mission over where we'd put the cannon if we had more than one ship in any given place at the same time.

(Disclaimer, History channel degree in naval warfare)
  11. Best laugh I've had all day - many thanks, Shipmate.......If I hadn't emptied the bottle, I would've offered you a glass of cider my 'ansome...
  12. If he left a military legacy it is that you should capitalise on your gains. He urged his captains to anchor after the battle being aware of the sudden fierce storms in that area, and at that time of year. They didn't and the storm did as much damage, if not more, than the battle itself.
  13. After the British Fleet anchored in the Bay of Naples in 1793, Admiral Lord Nelson was rowed ashore and subsequently met Emma, Lady Hamilton at a soiree. He was absolutely captivated. The next morning he cleared lower deck on board HMS Victory and addressed the ship's company.

"Last night," he said, "I met the most beautiful woman in the world."
    "Oooh!!" cooed the ship's company.
    "She is charming, intelligent and extremely witty," continued Nelson.
    "Ahhh!!" sighed the ship's company.
    "Her name is Emma, Lady Hamilton," said Nelson.
    "Groaan!!" went the ship's company.
    And what's more, she is loyal, dedicated and virtuous," added Nelson.
    The ship's company curled up trying to contain their laughter.
    In exasperation, Nelson said, "And, if you ever prove me wrong, you can poke me in the eye and chop off my arm."
    Scenes of ship's company rolling around the deck with uncontrolled mirth.

Moral of the story? Be sure of your facts before opening your mouth.

Heres another insight into that exciting period in our naval history. Before the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, Napoleon summoned Admiral Villeneuve (curl lip appropriately) to give him a pep talk. At the end of their meeting, Napoleon sent Villeneuve on his way with the ringing words, "To the water, it is the hour!"* The French words used in this resounding phrase have become extremely popular in British parlance to this day but we can thank Napoleon for their inclusion in our lexicon. Good old Boney, eh?

*A l'eau, c'est l'heure!
  14. I forget the name of the rotter that shot Nelson but know the French had a ship named after him back in the '70's..
  15. Oh dear I knew Id get this response really, maybe I should have put it to you a bit better. I am indeed doing my own research (I have even thoguht about visting a Lord Nelson pub tonight to mull over my ideas) However we are urged to cross reference our own findings and I thought maybe I could use some substantial arguments and views from serving members of the navy rather than the flat pages of books I am immersed in. A wider range of different sources is what I had in mind. I thought there would be some people on here who where maybe passionate about this particular chapter in history and might enjoy imparting some of their views.
  16. Again, Google is your friend. From this page of The Times online:

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You clearly admit that your enquiry would elicit these kind of reponses, however before you research any further can I suggest you improve your grammar and spelling? I'm doing a degree myself, and know that lecturers tend to mark you down for these kind of things... :wink:

Perhaps you might some more serious responses from the National Maritime Museum and the Royal Naval Museum! :thumright:
  18. I didnt realise that my grommer and speeling would be skrutinised on a fourum. Forgiive me I dident release.
    Well done for alllways beeeing so observaant.
  19. :thumright: