Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nelson battle of trafalgar?

gillc

Hello all. Wondering if any of you guys can help me? Im currently preparing a brief on Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar and I am trying to find out what influence it has had on modern naval strategy and tactics.
I know that you guys know your stuff and are probably a lot more knowledgable than me.
Any help would be amazing
Thanks
X Gill

Hello Gill,

Welcome to RR. It is very flattering to be asked but I'm sure you don't really need to be spoon-fed, do you? Instead of getting us to do all the work for you, why don't you do some research and come back with some ideas we can discuss? There are plenty of sources on the internet and in libraries. Good luck.

(Hints: Care for the sailors, element of surprise, band of brothers thinking as one, individual initiative, closing with the enemy, thorough training, etc)

andym

War Hero
Well suffice to say,if we had lost then maybe the RN uniform might include a cap with a stupid red pom pom on it!Also sh it on a raft would be fricasse de jambe des Frogges,Rum would be swapped for pernod and a set od 9's would become "Neufs"!!!

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
When it was discovered that Sgt Seker RM had 'lifted' Nelson's wallet as he carried him down to the Poop (Or was it the Orlop?) Deck of the Victory, the Admiralty insisted that all Officers on Ships with RM detachments wear money belts.
For some time this prevented RN Officers showing the dash and verve of Cochrane, as they were all terrified of falling overboard and not being able to ditch their Gold Sovereigns fast enough.
It was not until the advent of the Telegraph System in the Mid Nineteenth Century and the possibility of money orders being sent over vast distances that RN officers were again able to command boarding/cutting out parties with the aplomb of their forefathers, this of course led to much daring do in larger ship actions.

You may feel free to use this information as part of your presentation, I do of course expect you to give my work a correct citation (APA formating of citations is preferred).
Alternately you could try the novel approach of doing some proper research.
Regards
NZB

andym

War Hero
after the Battle Hardy and Adm Villeneurve le Comte Du Patisserie repaired to "La tete de Kepple" in down town Pompey,after a baguetts and some snifters of Pernod it was decided that it was a close called thing.The Spics buggered it all up as well.A few Jeu D'Uckers were had and it all started to get out of hand.They all left LA Tete De Kepple and ended up in the Trafalgar where there was an almighty bundle,bootie,blood snot and Frogs legs abounded,some one shouted " I spose you englishmen expect some one to do your jobs for you?"

This was the REAL Battle of Trafalgar and the missquoted "Signal" that was supposed to have been sent By Horatio Nelson who was actually away on a Away Shag A Day with lady Hamilton at Hunstanton Seafront.

NZ_Bootneck said:
When it was discovered that Sgt Seker RM had 'lifted' Nelson's wallet as he carried him down to the Poop (Or was it the Orlop?) Deck of the Victory, the Admiralty insisted that all Officers on Ships with RM detachments wear money belts.
For some time this prevented RN Officers showing the dash and verve of Cochrane, as they were all terrified of falling overboard and not being able to ditch their Gold Sovereigns fast enough.
It was not until the advent of the Telegraph System in the Mid Nineteenth Century and the possibility of money orders being sent over vast distances that RN officers were again able to command boarding/cutting out parties with the aplomb of their forefathers, this of course led to much daring do in larger ship actions.

You may feel free to use this information as part of your presentation, I do of course expect you to give my work a correct citation (APA formating of citations is preferred).
Alternately you could try the novel approach of doing some proper research.
Regards
NZB

Ace! :number1:

Ships_Cat

War Hero
"what influence it has had on modern naval strategy and tactics"

These days the captain listens to the XO when he says "Sir, perhaps instead of the f*cking great hat and chestful of quality street, might I suggest flak jacket and helmet and staying the f*ck below decks out of sniper range"

The French have also adopted better listening strategies for their command, like listening to the lookout when he lowers his glass and hollers from the crows nest "the crazy eeeenglish rosbif batards have set ze fire to ze ships and are sailing zem right f'kin at us"

I believe it was Admiral Yamamoto who said "If youre going to pick a fight with the English, dont lose, theyre c*nts when they beat you"

Of course since black tot day we have almost stopped going into battle completely arseh*led as exemplified by Nelson himself, charging up the hill at Tenerife, shot in the arm he was heard to exclaim, "My arms broken in 72 places, your f*cking round it is then Hardy". And earlier, on being blinded by cannon fire /debris at Calvi, he exclaimed "Bosun, I am so pissed I cant see out my right eye, you will have to get the kebabs in.."

Nowadays, sailing slowly towards each other pounding the opposition with cannon has been replaced by arguing in the seamans mission over where we'd put the cannon if we had more than one ship in any given place at the same time.

(Disclaimer, History channel degree in naval warfare)

lsadirty

War Hero
Ships_Cat said:
"what influence it has had on modern naval strategy and tactics"

These days the captain listens to the XO when he says "Sir, perhaps instead of the f*cking great hat and chestful of quality street, might I suggest flak jacket and helmet and staying the f*ck below decks out of sniper range"

The French have also adopted better listening strategies for their command, like listening to the lookout when he lowers his glass and hollers from the crows nest "the crazy eeeenglish rosbif batards have set ze fire to ze ships and are sailing zem right f'kin at us"

I believe it was Admiral Yamamoto who said "If youre going to pick a fight with the English, dont lose, theyre c*nts when they beat you"

Of course since black tot day we have almost stopped going into battle completely arseh*led as exemplified by Nelson himself, charging up the hill at Tenerife, shot in the arm he was heard to exclaim, "My arms broken in 72 places, your f*cking round it is then Hardy". And earlier, on being blinded by cannon fire /debris at Calvi, he exclaimed "Bosun, I am so pissed I cant see out my right eye, you will have to get the kebabs in.."

Nowadays, sailing slowly towards each other pounding the opposition with cannon has been replaced by arguing in the seamans mission over where we'd put the cannon if we had more than one ship in any given place at the same time.

(Disclaimer, History channel degree in naval warfare)

Best laugh I've had all day - many thanks, Shipmate.......If I hadn't emptied the bottle, I would've offered you a glass of cider my 'ansome...

If he left a military legacy it is that you should capitalise on your gains. He urged his captains to anchor after the battle being aware of the sudden fierce storms in that area, and at that time of year. They didn't and the storm did as much damage, if not more, than the battle itself.

After the British Fleet anchored in the Bay of Naples in 1793, Admiral Lord Nelson was rowed ashore and subsequently met Emma, Lady Hamilton at a soiree. He was absolutely captivated. The next morning he cleared lower deck on board HMS Victory and addressed the ship's company.

"Last night," he said, "I met the most beautiful woman in the world."
"Oooh!!" cooed the ship's company.
"She is charming, intelligent and extremely witty," continued Nelson.
"Ahhh!!" sighed the ship's company.
"Her name is Emma, Lady Hamilton," said Nelson.
"Groaan!!" went the ship's company.
And what's more, she is loyal, dedicated and virtuous," added Nelson.
The ship's company curled up trying to contain their laughter.
In exasperation, Nelson said, "And, if you ever prove me wrong, you can poke me in the eye and chop off my arm."
Scenes of ship's company rolling around the deck with uncontrolled mirth.

Moral of the story? Be sure of your facts before opening your mouth.

Heres another insight into that exciting period in our naval history. Before the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, Napoleon summoned Admiral Villeneuve (curl lip appropriately) to give him a pep talk. At the end of their meeting, Napoleon sent Villeneuve on his way with the ringing words, "To the water, it is the hour!"* The French words used in this resounding phrase have become extremely popular in British parlance to this day but we can thank Napoleon for their inclusion in our lexicon. Good old Boney, eh?

*A l'eau, c'est l'heure!

I forget the name of the rotter that shot Nelson but know the French had a ship named after him back in the '70's..

gillc

Oh dear I knew Id get this response really, maybe I should have put it to you a bit better. I am indeed doing my own research (I have even thoguht about visting a Lord Nelson pub tonight to mull over my ideas) However we are urged to cross reference our own findings and I thought maybe I could use some substantial arguments and views from serving members of the navy rather than the flat pages of books I am immersed in. A wider range of different sources is what I had in mind. I thought there would be some people on here who where maybe passionate about this particular chapter in history and might enjoy imparting some of their views.
Cheers
Gill

sussex2 said:
I forget the name of the rotter that shot Nelson but know the French had a ship named after him back in the '70's..

Again, Google is your friend. From this page of The Times online:

...Britain has always doubted French claims that Sergeant Robert Guillemard, a Provençal fuselier, shot Nelson from the mizzen mast of Le Redoutable and survived to tell the tale.

Midshipman John Pollard was credited by Captain Thomas Hardy, commander of HMS Victory, with killing the sniper, who was described as an anonymous infantryman.

As an older man, the then Commander Pollard wrote to The Times in 1863 to complain that another former midshipman, Edward Collingwood, was trying to take the credit...

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You clearly admit that your enquiry would elicit these kind of reponses, however before you research any further can I suggest you improve your grammar and spelling? I'm doing a degree myself, and know that lecturers tend to mark you down for these kind of things... :wink:

Perhaps you might some more serious responses from the National Maritime Museum and the Royal Naval Museum! :thumright:

gillc

I didnt realise that my grommer and speeling would be skrutinised on a fourum. Forgiive me I dident release.
Well done for alllways beeeing so observaant.
Cheers

andym said:
after the Battle Hardy and Adm Villeneurve le Comte Du Patisserie repaired to "La tete de Kepple" in down town Pompey,after a baguetts and some snifters of Pernod it was decided that it was a close called thing.The Spics buggered it all up as well.A few Jeu D'Uckers were had and it all started to get out of hand.They all left LA Tete De Kepple and ended up in the Trafalgar where there was an almighty bundle,bootie,blood snot and Frogs legs abounded,some one shouted " I spose you englishmen expect some one to do your jobs for you?"

This was the REAL Battle of Trafalgar and the missquoted "Signal" that was supposed to have been sent By Horatio Nelson who was actually away on a Away Shag A Day with lady Hamilton at Hunstanton Seafront.

:thumright:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SILVER_FOX Admiral Lord Nelson Battle Strategy Nautical Jokes 0
Frostie Supply officer - Vikki Nelson Nearest & Dearest 27
T Master-at-Arms Dave Nelson, RN The Quarterdeck 0
X History of Jervis Block, HMS Nelson History 30
L HMS NELSON Bases / Shore Est 16
soleil BBC News: "Wave Poppies Sculpture On Display At Fort Nelson" History 4
C HMS Nelson help Social & Reunions 2
P NELSON Wardroom to be sold off Current Affairs 45
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Support Advisor (Vehicles) - Nelson - £Competitive Salary The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
aaronjmuk RA Lockers in Nelson?? Bases / Shore Est 1
shazam21 HMNB PORTSMOUTH / HMS NELSON JPA Access? Bases / Shore Est 0
Trainer Gosport Mayor Banned from Nelson's and rest of Gosport Pubs Diamond Lil's 5
soleil Guardian: "Paint Detectives Uncover True Colours Of Nelson's Victorious Flagship" History 0
redmonkey Nelson Navy & Nation The Book Club 0
soleil EDP: "Nelson amd Hoste's Connection To Norfolk Naval History" History 0
soleil National Maritime Museum: "Nelson, Navy, Nation" History 2
H Family Rooms @ HMS Nelson. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
L Suspect package at HMS Nelson today Bases / Shore Est 28
soleil Telegraph: "Nelson: French Are 'Thieves, Murderers, Oppressors And Infidels'" History 13
T Nelson Mandela - Hospital! Current Affairs 89
WreckerL Nelson's caribbean hellhole BBC4 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 8
soleil Nelson Mail: "Submarine 'Got A Hammering'" Submariners 3
P Lord Nelson memorabilia History 2
soleil Telegraph: "Horatio Nelson's Trafalgar Uniform To Go On Display In France" History 1
ISeeThreeShips Lord Nelson (Sword-Pistol) Goes Up For Sale History 0
scouse Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson History 19
B Nelson UPO - Medals UPO 0
soleil BBC Hampshire News: "Nelson's HMS Victory Becomes Marvin Ayres' Recording Studio" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Mail: "Taller Than Nelson's Column, It Generates Enough Energy To Power 5,500 Homes" The Fleet 6
soleil FT Letters, Time To Do Our Duty By Nelson History 2
soleil Sun: "Skint Navy Surrenders Nelson’s HMS Victory" Bases / Shore Est 11
soleil Telegraph: "Explorers Raise Hope Of Nelson 'Treasure Trove' On Victorian Shipwreck" History 2
soleil Pompey News: "Memorial For Nelson And Lives Lost At Sea" Bases / Shore Est 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS Royal George, Nelson's Column and the Mary Rose History 0
soleil Nelson’s Navy: Back From The Dead - Channel 4 - Sunday - September 04 2011 - 2000 History 21
soleil Mail: 'Victory Is Mine: Our Man In The Rigging Helps Tear Apart Nelson's Mighty Ship' Bases / Shore Est 2
Z Cat B/Car licence course at Nelson Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil Norwich Evening News: "Students From Norwich Follow In Nelson’s Footsteps" SCC and URNU 0
The_Caretaker Nelson Mandela Miscellaneous 0
soleil "Horatio Nelson 'Was French Football Captain', Say Children" Current Affairs 21
Squirrel RN Optag - HMS Nelson - 11 Jan The Fleet 1
Seaweed Nelson Bn, Royal Naval Division History 0
rod-gearing If Nelson were alive today Diamond Lil's 44
S HMS Nelson Lift? Bases / Shore Est 22
M HMS NELSON Dentist Phone Number Bases / Shore Est 4
H how to book into hms nelson? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
A Politcally Correct Nelson? Current Affairs 2
S Nelson Wardroom The Fleet 44
Scud For anyone at Nelson The Fleet 3
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2