Needing help!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by officerguy, Apr 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well guys, I've passed everything so far but i'm now on the run up to AIB. I've had the whole debate about GS vs SM in my head for ages, but now I have the form in front of me asking for my priorities. I like the idea of the SM (although that is only down to my having a lass - so I can stay in Scotland - and the better spacing of time at home). Ive read through the topic of sub vs gs and I know it's easier to get from gs to sm.

Question is, can I put GS as my main choice, and then at the end of basic officer training, go onto subs if that's what I end up wanting?

Thanks for any help.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The basic advice is if you are not sure you want to be a submariner, then join as GS - there's always the option to volunteer for boats after you join and there is a very good chance of being accepted early in your career.

If you do it the other way around, you cannot transfer back to GS in the first few years.
  3. I agree with Ninja, if you commit to SM now, you will probably spend the rest of your career on boats.

Best of luck

4. cheers for the help guys!