Need to use a DII laptop at home with Wi-Fi?

Not wholly true. As part of the CIOs quick wins </clip>
If you've been in any way involved with these then I'd like to say thank you. Not only for the excellent improvements so far, such as removing the requirement to have 'Release-authorised' in the subject, nor even for the epic list of planned improvements. Perhaps the best thing though is the way that this whole process has been communicated.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you've been in any way involved with these then I'd like to say thank you. Not only for the excellent improvements so far, such as removing the requirement to have 'Release-authorised' in the subject, nor even for the epic list of planned improvements. Perhaps the best thing though is the way that this whole process has been communicated.
In fairness many changes were considered before Mike came into the post but he's provided the impetus to get them implemented. Some are quite trivial and perhaps window dressing but like the communications they show his desire to improve things and they've sent a message to suppliers and users alike.

I'll pass on your comments, he will appreciate them!

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I can't wait for the update to messenger, enabling us to utilise it for conference calls will really help.
That's a trivial IT implementation but a pain of a contractual one because we do voice/video services under a different contract so thats taken some unravelling. It will happen though on our journey to Unified Communications.

In fairness many changes were considered before Mike came into the post but he's provided the impetus to get them implemented. Some are quite trivial and perhaps window dressing but like the communications they show his desire to improve things and they've sent a message to suppliers and users alike.
Couldn't agree more, can we have email on our own devices next please! My wife gets her NHS email on her phone/tablet so I can't believe this is that insurmountable as they have similar security, etc policies.

I'll pass on your comments, he will appreciate them!
Please do, my perception from a long way off is that he's a breath of fresh air and it would be nice to see other senior leaders in defence doing similar things

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Couldn't agree more, can we have email on our own devices next please! My wife gets her NHS email on her phone/tablet so I can't believe this is that insurmountable as they have similar security, etc policies.
We won't see BYOD for a long time, but COYD is on the horizon with some smart phones and tablets being tested to supplement the BB service [if that comes to fruition who knows].

My wife does the exact same thing (NHS too) getting access to patent details and emails at home. This trust uses a clever two step system (code send to mobile phone once you've logged on). I actually pointed that out with a video to the innovation team recently and they are looking at that plus there is a very clever software solution to allow everyone access from a smart device/browser. Lots of work in this area.

The caveat to all this is it's lot of work for a small number of people, but all heading in the right direction.

Hi and thanks for your comment.

My apologies for trying to use this forum to raise awareness of an inexpensive way to add Wi-Fi to laptops, thus enabling more flexible use at home, but also in hotels.

Actually, the solution (box) is approved via Andover and has been referred both to DSAS and the DII accreditor. It's available on P2P as well.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi and thanks for your comment.

My apologies for trying to use this forum to raise awareness of an inexpensive way to add Wi-Fi to laptops, thus enabling more flexible use at home, but also in hotels.

Actually, the solution (box) is approved via Andover and has been referred both to DSAS and the DII accreditor. It's available on P2P as well.
And it's no longer needed as the new DII laptops and the new tablets/phones we are deploying do not need this device and are able to bypass captive portals natively.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
That's a trivial IT implementation but a pain of a contractual one because we do voice/video services under a different contract so thats taken some unravelling. It will happen though on our journey to Unified Communications.
We've pretty much sorted out a whole host of contractual and technical issues, expect to MS Lync on your UAD in the short term and it will then allow you to make O-S phone calls through our network and out onto the PSTN - video within the MoD boundary pretty soon thereafter.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
DII Blackberries are banned from my place of work on security grounds. I don't work in a SCIF!
We're piloting SAMSUNG Note 4, SAMSUNG S5, and Galaxy Tab S tablets at the moment as additions to the Blackberry mobility service, as well a 3/4G they connect via any wifi source - superb peformance. Next stop is persuading more local sites to allow the sensible use of mobiles in non-sensitive zones and to spread Defence Wifi service.

both DSAS and the DII accreditor? When I last checked the DII accreditor was part of DSAS, and fwiw DSAS have since changed their name.

Source: used to work for DSAS (as was) and shared a looong car journey with a previous DII accreditor while he talked at me about BB service.

I believe Personal DII addresses for BYOD are on CDIO's wishlist. Still being on NavyStar I use the email service on Defence Gateway (@royalnavymail.mod.uk) on my iPhone/laptop for keeping in touch with the office when out and about, unfortunately it stops working pretty much as you close that first watertight door off the upper deck, and right now won't go through the EGS either. :-/

Thanks - I am just going by what the guys at Andover said.

Great news that the VPN sorts out the issue for you - hope it's not IPSEC based though as many hotels block that, especially overseas.