Need to use a DII laptop at home with Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by Losingthewires, Dec 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I want to use a DII laptop at home with Wi-Fi router (BT service)?

2. Crack on then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. It's a pleasure!
  4. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

You can't as DII laptops do not allow WiFi connections.

I suspect you are the same guy I spam-o-matic on ARRSe peddling not approved solution.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Not wholly true. As part of the CIOs quick wins we've opened up DII to a wifi service. I'm not sure how wide it's been opened though......I suspect in the New Year there will be more open announcements
  6. Given some of the recent comments about DII on DII, I'm surprised they just don't move to a hotmail based system....
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I was aware there was a move in certain circumstances to allow it - leveraging some of the advantages over the new classifications. My understanding it is limited and users have the dangers explained to them.

There was a similar style of posting on ARRSE which was a spammer trying to get people to buy a WiFi "box" which would allow you to bridge the router to a ethernet converter. All very sus and he was hoofed.

For anyone using DII outside of the office think long and hard if it is safe to do so, check with the laptop issuing service what can and can not happen and above all remember you are an easier vector for people wishing to do harm.

As an aside I have been running a side project at work about the culture of cyber defence. As I said we used to be very good at this in the Cold War. We knew everything about the information, its classification, its distribution and the consequences of its loss.

I doubt if we had a big data breach we could say the same these days.
  8. wave_dodger

CIO wants it open as much as possible, I suspect we will see WiFi in a lot more places, perhaps slowly at first then over 1-3 years quite widespread.

not seen it but interested as a company have been hounding me at work with a similar sounding device. Will look on Arrse.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  9. Providing a TEMPEST testing service for all Service/MoD homes would be a nice earner for some enterprising Contractor; sorry, Partner.
  10. wave_dodger

There isn't a tempest requirement for DII(R) services.
  11. Copied; thanks.
  12. in the meantime, the OP will almost certainly find an Ethernet LAN socket on the BT homehub that a network cable can be plugged into to allow him/her to use DII at home.

If up to the task, I have also used another laptop as a wifi to Ethernet bridge (the winter evenings just fly by). Connect the laptop to the wifi, plug Ethernet cable between the laptops, then use windows internet sharing capability to share the wifi connection to the Ethernet.
  13. Off topic but Happy New Year to Guns and WD - fancy finding you two in a DII thread. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. wave_dodger

Happy New Year my old friend - hope its a good NY down under!
  15. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

And to you and your family. Hope you are enjoying your time and you are not regretting leaving Plymouth for NZ...........
  16. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Having had to use the Canadian version of DII I think DII is great and can't wait to get back to it. The old grass greener etc.

DII has role accounts, DWAN is all about your government issued email address. So trying to email a specific job means a 3 hour trawl through the web to find the current incumbent, look them up on GAL and then email them. Hoping of course they are still in the job.

Also when you move between jobs and it is out of a specific area you have to re-apply for your account on joining.
  17. wave_dodger

and will probably just have those in due course - two accounts, too expensive, too much bespeaking, too difficult for Atlas to get right
  18. That's going to get a certain part of the MoD v v twitchy......
  19. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I have to say the role and personal accounts/emails are the best thing about DII. If the IM in a unit is correct it allows a far greater flexibility for managing workloads.

I struggle to understand how hard it is to run two email accounts, at the last count I have over 20 different email addresses and half of those are seperate accounts.
  20. wave_dodger

It's not the human aspect its the issues surrounding email resolution and identity resolution with Active Directory and the implementation thereof. A lot of the Microsoft offerings (which we're tied into, currently) are not written to address this hence we need to bespoke a lot of their products.