Need to borrow some MTP kit...

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by jrwlynch, May 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of those happy military moments has slapped me (and a few others) across the face, where we've been told we need to present ourselves in MTP combats for a training event.

Unfortunately, we're not authorised to be issued MTP for training in the UK (deploying personnel only) and those storemen who deign to answer their phones are quite immovable in their obedience to the rules. However, it seems that legacy DPM is also unacceptable and No Longer Allowed, in the joined-up planning that so characterises HM Forces.

If there's anyone in manageable distance of Fareham who can lend me a set of MTP combats, 190/96 shirt and 85/92/108 trousers (or something close enough to be wearable) before Friday, I'm prepared to negotiate on which beverage will accompany their freshly-laundered return.

Long shot at short notice, I know, and I shouldn't have joined if I can't take a joke, but it's worth a try...
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Eh, why even bother?

Unless the kit is issued to the individual to comply with a directive, the obvious logic is to inform the person issuing the decree that it's not possible.
  3. Absolutely, it then becomes their problem to either sort out the stores issue or change the directive!
  4. JRWLYNCH,you can get MTP issued to you for training even if you are RNR. I am at an RNR unit and I am a POSA (POSC). I have and do issue MTP on a regular basis. If you have the correct documentation then you can have the kit. Unfortunatly your unit may not be able to get it by Friday but i cant help there. On another note i do not have your sizes in my stock so i cant help ther either sorry.
  5. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

What training is it you are doing? Does seem odd that your boss wants you in the kit but won't get it authorised for issue. Have the storemen said " Stores are for storing. If we were meant to issue them we would be called Issue men" etc etc.

PM Sent
  6. Redmonkey, I like to issue everything as and when it is wanted. Saves me having to stocktake it at a later date. You must have come accross some bad Dusties in your time.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Definately have, used to have access to Oasis on board. I rang down for a stock check and straight away I was told that none of the item were in stock without even a time delay to work the system. I then logged on and found that there were 42 of the items I needed. The Jack Dusty was a little taken back when I turned up with the full location ident of the items.
    Another time I had a bollcking from the POSA because I had worn through the toecap of my boots in little over a month. He used his boots as an example as he had had them for 3 years. Slight difference in jobs between a POSA in an office and someone crawling around under aircraft.
    Culdrose clothing store used to be horrendous and a certain G10 store even worse for getting stuff. I couldn't even get a belt for my combats because they weren't on the list.

I have also come across some very good ones that do everything they can to help. V####e and Stu who made my job a lot easier. thank you.
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  8. Have you tried taking your Kit Record book to Nelson Clothing Store and asking nicely? I have found them to be very helpful although I admit I am not RNR.
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...or get yourself down to USMC on Elm Grove in Southsea, and buy your own, if you're so keen to have MTP? :?
  10. And ten percent discount. Plus a weirdos magazine
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Looks like I've managed to arrange a loan, so problem hopefully solved.

Thanks to the several who offered to help out.
  12. I always tell our lot to turn too in whatever they have (4's or CS95's) You usually find that you get issued the correct kit pretty quickly.

As for being keen to wear MTP SGT PBD I know exactly where the OP is coming from and it's nothing to do with "wanting" anything other than to do what is instructed of him. I know loads of RNR's who haven't been issued the correct kit. We had a letter from DNRES and another from our SO1 both confirming that CS95's should be issued to our branch ASAP and our slops still denied that we were to be issued the kit. TH and 2 oppos turn up on course in No4's, asked to explain the reason for being out of rig - cue an emergency trip to the stores at HMS EXCELLENT and the issue of said kit plus loads of extra stuff not on the list. A few weeks later another full issue arrives in the (then new) Gucci black kit bags - result!!!!
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Alright, Princess! :shock: And as already highlighted by others, if the OP does not have the kit that is required for the course then the problem lies with the Course Managers, rather than the attendee. My suggestion about buying personal kit was intended to mock this, rather than an attempt to compell the OP to buy MTP from private sources (not saying he can't if they wish to do so). I

would like to assume that he is not the only one in the same boat, so to speak, and hopefully someone in a position of authority in RNR Training will read this thread and resolve the apparent communication issues between Uniform Clothing and Course Management.

By the way, I can't believe you fell for the "What does CW stands for..?" bite on t'other thread... :thumbleft:
  14. Concur, they have never been anything other than helpful whenever I've used them. If they've got one, and you need it, you get it. In fact I've walked out of there in the past having turned kit down.

Quite often they'll stick items in the post if your local Army slops don't have pussers items, can't order it "cos it's a Naval NSN" or can't issue it "cos you're not on Unicom"

Oh how I miss the INCS!!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I think that by conforming to this instruction, the OP is compounding the problem. As already stated he should turn up, in good order, in whatever equivalent kit he possesses. Pandering to the whim of a seemingly pissed on power course manager won't help anybody.

16. My comment was in response to you seeming to imply that the lad just wants to dress up for the sake of it. I've seen this issue reoccur several times and know how he feels. He's obviously inexperienced and just wants to do the right thing. We seem to be in agreement that the best course of action is to turn up in 4's.

As for the CW thread you'll have to explain what I fell for. Honest truth is I have no idea what CW stands for other than I was informed it was Commissioned Warrant when I was asked to go for it. No idea where the term comes from, if its correct or what. Looking at the other responses it doesn't seem particularly clear to anyone except you........:bootyshake:
  17. Tre,

Re: Rig for Course - 'twas only down to Sgt Peppa, with his 'Peppery' head on, so don't take it to heart.

Re-'CW' - Schooltime:

It used to be fairly common knowledge in the RN and RNR that a bright, clean-cut rating showing 'Oily-Qs' (Officer-like Qualities) might be considered 'Commission Worthy' and, after screening, subsequently see the Captain/CO as a requestman 'To have CW papers raised'.

That being the first hurdle/milestone along the UY/SUY route ('up through the hawse pipe') from the messdeck to the wardroom.

Pity that the RN & RNR are not as close as they once were. I guess no-one popped up to correct you in that other thread because posting such a 'commonly known' answer would have been perceived by the cynics as a 'bite'.

(It does leave one wondering what other misconceptions of terminology lurk beneath the surface of your otherwise splendid outfit though...:evil2: )
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Much obliged for the correction. I will have a word with the(ex-RN) 2 1/2 ringer who fed me the duff info and advise her to check up on it before speaking with any other potential candidates.

Feel rather silly now.:crybaby:
    • Like Like x 1