Need some information about joining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mrshll1001, Oct 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm a University Student studying Computing Science at Newcastle University (Stage 2) and I've been seriously considering the Navy as a career for some time now; I've held off making any official moves due to wanting to explore other opportunities - but nothing appealing has presented itself so far. I have a few questions/concerns about the recruitment process before I pop down my local recruitment office.

Firstly, as a CS student, I'm aware that Communications is probably the field I should be looking to work in. If anyone has any experience working in this area I'd love to hear their experiences, and what I can expect - or if there's any other areas I should be looking to apply my skills to in the Navy.

Secondly, I have several tattoos, most are of no concern and are extremely well hidden. However I have a tattoo of some thorns which forms a sort of half-sleeve around my upper right arm (ending about an inch above the elbow) and continues up to spread onto some of my right chest and right shoulder. Should this be a concern when applying?

Lastly, I am a practicing LaVeyan Satanist. I've done my research and come across the following article: BBC NEWS | UK | Navy approves first ever Satanist

This means that although I'm sure I can't be discriminated against officially, I would naturally have some concerns over putting it down on paper when asked. Atheist is an adequate label; so should I keep it zipped when going through recruitment or would it literally make no difference to the process at all?

2. So you are a wizard?

3. The navy has plenty of tattooed devil worshippers with communication skills, they're called Gunnery Instructors.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In a nutshell, if you want to operate computers, most branches of the RN use computers day to day, especially CIS, Stores Accountants & Writers. Warfare ratings also use computers pretty much daily when at sea.

If you want to work 'hands-on' on computer hardware, amongst other electronic equipment, probably Engineering Technician (Weapons Engineer) fits the bill closest.

If you want to be in charge of the hardware maintainers and possibly work to some extent in computer software development (no guarantee) then Weapons Engineering Officer is possibly the way ahead if you have an acceptable accredited engineering degree, 180+ UCAS points at A Level (or accepted equivalent) and 5 GCSE's including maths & English.

With regard your beliefs - your business. Suffice to say most people don't bother asking about their beliefs or drawing attention to them, so unless you crave attention or are on a self-serving quest to state your "individuality" in a uniformed service, I'd be inclined not to make an issue of it.

Tattoos sound OK as long as they are not deemed offensive, excessive or visible in parade uniform.

5. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Aww! it's so nice to be remembered so fondly!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cheers for your help guys, I appreciate the time out of your day. You've given me a bit to think about my possible career in the forces.

Luckily, I'm not on a quest to make a statement, but as with everything I'd prefer to apply the appropriative label to myself to prevent confusion and issues down the line (Wouldn't want a Christian funeral for example).

With regards to the visibility of the tattoo in parade uniform; do you know what parade uniform consists of? I hear that short-sleeves shirts are involved, and would like to know if there is a chance a portion of my tattoo will be visible.

7. Parade uniform (No 1's) are long sleeved. Short sleeved white shirts are worn by all ranks and rates as daily dress although No 4's is the normal daily working rig afloat, they're long sleeved but normally with the sleeves rolled up unless firefighting/action stations etc.

8. I feel compelled to say, if you consider yourself to be a satanist, then I consider you to be a tit.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cheers again guys. Much appreciated.

10. Ninja_Stoker

That's an interesting one. If you're brown bread and an ex-atheist, as originally mulled-over, it won't make any difference if there's no afterlife.

My advice to those not sure what religion to put, is to consider those you leave behind who have to grieve and pick up the tab.

As long as you think you Mum, Dad, partner (or whatever) are all for dancing around a burning pentangle bollocko whilst the horned beastie horribly molests your cold corpse, with your other rels looking on, crack on, fill your boots...

11. Having just googled LeVeyan Satanism, it's got some good points tbh although LeVey was a tit and it has nothing to do with devil either.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Having read a bit on the subject: LaVeyan Satanism - Church of Satan - An Introduction to LaVeyan Satanism for Beginners I'm a bit at a loss as to why anyone would be bothered declaring anything beyond merely stating they're an atheist:

• Followers are atheists who stress dependence on the self rather than reliance on any outside power
    • To the LaVeyan Satanist, Satan is a myth, just like God and other deities.
    • Identifying oneself as a Satanist is to go against expectations, cultural norms, and religious creeds.
    • It encourages people to seek their own truths, indulge in desires without fear of societal taboos, and perfect the self.

13. I would think that there are probably loads of atheists in the forces these days, it's the way of society and fair enough I suppose, and I'm certainly all for freedom of thought and belief.

This shower appear to be a load of insecure and self-advertising cocks though.

14. So no goats then? Bugger I was getting interested. :sad:

15. That is a good point, and although to me personally it wouldn't matter at the time (I'd be dead) - as a funeral is for the living, not the dead; it's my friends/family who benefit from the experience (I think that's the point you were getting at). Those who know me well enough to know of my world-view would, I hope, care enough about me to want me to have an appropriate send-off and therefore anything less than secular would ruin the experience for them. If they knew me well enough in life then hearing theistic funeral rites should unnerve them. I would never explicitly request a Satanic funeral - as far as I'm concerned there's nobody I know who would enjoy attending one.

Appropriately labelling things are important. Atheist doesn't cover the whole spectrum of the Satanic world-view.

Hope this answers any questions.

(Oh, we also don't use goats sadly. They don't seem to get the celebrants hearts pumping like CareBears do these days. Evil ******* that they are)

16. I think you really mean that. You're mad. Not in a nice way.