Need some help for my son

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rabidmaddog, Oct 3, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son is a trooper in the blues n royals has been in from the age of 16 & is now 24yrs ,he has done a lot in his career a lot of ceremonial trooping the colours,queens golden jubilee,parliament openings,state visits.
    My son has done most of what he wants to do is finishing his degree in communications & has decided he would like to move onto another service rather than leaving the forces n is looking at the Royal Navy. he is starting to make enquiries within his regiment about transferring is there anyone who has any advice for him any pitfalls things he should know that sort of thing any help would be great .

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3. Don't play spoons.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I would prefer helpful help not stupid remarks

• Old Old x 1
  5. Not such a rabid mad dog after all then?

• Like Like x 2
  6. janner

Generally speaking horses and tall hats are not encourage onboard.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Why cant he just do it himself?

• Like Like x 1
  8. That was my first thought reading this thread - the boy is doing this of his own volition. He's in active service, surely he has the wherewithal to seek these answers for himself?

9. Also, here have been a lot of Percy people asking and doing just that of late. Perhaps a trawl /push of the search button........

In fact I think there is a live thread on this about 5 or 6 below this one at the moment.

10. Obviously this thread is the wrong one to ask about any questions about joining the Royal Navy maybe my reading skills are shit but I'm sure it said discussions on joining the navy it seems it's for idiots with stupid remarks .
    Even though my son has served 7 plus yrs is now 24 n wants to continue in another branch of the service rather than leave he is still my son & if I can find any information out that will help him I will do that he is talking to his regiment about transfering .
    so if you haven't any helpful info then don't bother writing anything

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. handbag.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I do hope your last comment was not aimed at me.

Gloves off.

Your son is 24 years old FFS - why can he not come on here himself and ask these questions himself? Maybe he'd be able to take the banter. At least one ex Pongo has done this recently and has also ( believe) now transferred to the RN c/s is Hooly I think. I'm sure there are others on the Direct Entry scheme too.

Hey, here's an idea, why not track him down and send him a pm - or get your son to get off his ARRSE (did you se what I did there?) and do his own stuff if he is that keen to transfer.

Plenty of info ere and on ARRSE. Now dry your tears and get back in your cot.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Well if he is anything like you are and is unable to take Navy Banter which is all the replies have been then he may as well stay in the Blues and Chews parading like the proverbial peacock.

14. So he's leaving the Blues and Royals?

There's a song about that.

"Goodbye 'oss"
    "Goodbye 'oss"
    "I was saying goodbye to my 'oss"

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Degree in Communications .Simples, do dat ting!!!

16. Okay I'll help you.

1. Not tell Navy people that he was in the Army or something. Unless he likes being called a crab.
    2. Make sure his mum isn't asking about career advice on his behalf, when he's 24.
    3. Not to tell people his mum is so helpful that she does like #2. He'll be laughed at, at best. At worst mocked.
    4. Not telling people in the RN he's just wanting to "try out" various branches; including the RN.
    It's understandable that you want to help your son. However you also ought to realize there is such a thing as helping too much or helping in ways which are ultimately damaging to the one you're trying to help. In this case, the damage could be done to his sense of pride and his ability to seek information on his own; in addition to any number of unknown side-effects of being infantilized. Parental help can actually be debilitating for children - just look up "helicopter parenting" or similar. The issue is compounded by the fact that the offending parent(s) often not realizing how much damage they're actually doing, because most of it is psychological and thus invisible to them, but also very much because the parent(s) themselves think to themselves that "they're just trying to help out" and that it's therefore meant to be a good thing. Except that this has no baring on anything besides the parents own sense of self-justification. If you were my mum and actively asking around on my behalf about my military career, I would be very embarrassed, as I'd think "I'm in the military! I ought to be able to do this myself, without interference". Especially if I, like your son, also had a degree in Communications, of all things. I'd then go on to distance myself from you, so that no one would find out about this.

So do consider that. After all, as the saying goes: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Goodday.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. I met someone in the army when taking the Rt test. So you must be able to apply even when you r still in army.

Apply or don't it's up to him at the end of the day

18. janner

I think it might be his Dad doing the asking!

19. I'm ex army! Get him to visit his RCMO and then back it up with a visit to his local Navy recruitment office. With the degree he's doing a good fit would be CIS part of the engineering branch sub branch weapon engineer. This lot don't mean any harm it's just navy banter, it's fun when you get used to it, good advice is to give it out aswell haha

• Like Like x 1
  20. Told you we had one called Hooly!! (Post 12)

• Like Like x 1